It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Derecho ~ Severe Storm Threat in Midwest/Northeast Thursday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Severe Storm Threat in Northeast Thursday ~ Possible Derecho

www.weather.com

The potential exists for widespread damaging winds from parts of New York and southern New England to Ohio. In addition, large hail and a few tornadoes are also possible.

In fact, our Severe Weather Expert Dr. Greg Forbes says that it's possible that a derecho, a widespread damaging wind event, could be ongoing during the morning hours from portions of New York State to central and southern New England.

A frontal system is on the move out of the Great Lakes and is set to bring a significant threat of severe thunderstorms from the Northeast to the Ohio Valley on Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
So another Derecho may hit the same areas it did last month. They are supposed to be very rare. The one last month did a lot of damage.

What the last one caused; 22 deaths, millions in damages, and millions without power

In total, 22 people were killed across seven states and the District of Columbia.[17] At least six and possibly seven of those deaths were in Virginia, all of them due to fallen trees.[15] Two of the deaths were in New Jersey, after two children were killed by falling trees at a campground at Parvin State Park, three deaths were reported in Maryland and one death was reported in Ohio after the storm.[18] As it occurred in the midst of the record Summer 2012 North American heat wave, conditions on following days were problematic, particularly for seniors and vulnerable people. Scattered structural damage also occurred along the path of the derecho, from both falling trees and the winds themselves. Some of the damage included siding torn off houses, roofs removed from houses, businesses and apartment buildings, mobile homes heavily damaged, barns and garages destroyed and airplanes flipped.[2]

On July 19th, 2012, President Barack Obama declared three counties in New Jersey (Atlantic, Cumberland, and Salem) federal disaster areas. This assured disaster relief through federal assistance to local and state governments and some non-profit organizations

en.wikipedia.org...

www.weather.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am prepared and ready for it!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
We were hit with a derecho on may 8, 09. Very bad damage to the area...now it is so hot and dry, I feel like I live in Arizona! Our yard (everyone's yards and gardens) are toast. When is rain coming??????

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
awe hell...not agian. i just refilled the fridge from last damn time....

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Thanks for the "heads up"

At least the weather folks are saying that there is a chance of such an event.. the last one blindsided us here in the Valley...

Prayers out for all in the forecast area, learn from the last event, prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this article. Not only for the information, but also the fact that I have (interestingly) never encountered "derecho" in all my years as a human, and it was one of a few blank spots in a crossword puzzle I had just been working on. Double bonus! Sweet!

edit on 7/25/2012 by HolographicPrincipal because: clarification

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Oh lordie, right over where I live too. We are used to that kind of weather around these parts though.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I am in N. Indiana - I see we are in the red on
the map. I hope this storm doesn't produce the
damage that the one we had a few weeks did.
We are just now getting the area cleaned up
from the last one. Will be keeping a close eye
on this thread for updates. Thanks OP S @ F.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
those things are SCARY. i've been through one. it's highly unusual that another one is even POSSIBLE so soon after the last one.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I saw the storm in a dream last night. It will be very bad, but think of the bright side at least there will be rain out of the deal. Would recommend that you get some water stockpiled, power will be out all over the place for a while.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by roaland
awe hell...not again. i just refilled the fridge from last damn time....
I still have $&£# holes in my roof from the last one! The roofer has us on a waiting list and I can still drive out and see tarps on roofs that haven't been fixed yet. My fridge is empty though. I was going shopping tonight or tomorrow to restock but never mind that now. I will just get some pet food and call it a day.

Thanks RealSpoke. I had no idea this was coming again. I look to be just one the border of it this time. That's quite enough.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I see by the map that this storm will be
further to the south than the last one.
My family is in Ky and they are in the
red this time, they didn't get any of the
storm last go around.

I had planned on grocery shopping
tomorrow, I will wait now but I still
have food in the fridge and freezer
that will go bad without power. The
store shelves were very low here
after the last storm and with the
drought we have had I expect to
see food shortages in the early Fall.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up! I'm right in the path. Now at least I know to pay attention tomorrow and stock up on some necessities in the morning.

I never even heard this term before this year. Now possibly a second one? Very weird indeed.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I watched that storm as it went across Ohio....I don't think they had a clue it would blossom as it did....

And, now parts of Michigan is under a severe Thunderstorm watch until 5AM EDT Some areas are under a sever WARNIING
www.crh.noaa.gov...

edit on Wed Jul 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I just heard that a bow echo is forming in central
MIchigan. Check your local weather everyone and
get further details for your area.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
damn.... we just got the trees picked up from the last one here in Baltimore.

Everybody stay safe, no matter what!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I'm in Michigan and can find nothing like that??

www.spc.noaa.gov...

current Michigan radar

edit on Wed Jul 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Awe to bad im in MN. guess were not gettin another one here. Damn. I guess its ok though i think we got our yearly average of tornados in about 4 to 5 days a month or two ago anyway. i need to make more money so i can afford to chase storms out of state.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I heard that the bow echo was forming. When
I looked at the radar about 20 minutes ago it
did seem to be more bowed, not so much so
now - hope it stays that way. Not an expert
just my observation - check your weather
often for updates and stay safe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join