It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush and the Environment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

HUBB: Mr. President, how would you rate yourself as an environmentalist? What specifically has your administration done to improve the condition of our nation's air and water supply?

BUSH: Off-road diesel engines -- we have reached an agreement to reduce pollution from off-road diesel engines by 90 percent.

I've got a plan to increase the wetlands by 3 million. We've got an aggressive brown field program to refurbish inner-city sore spots to useful pieces of property.

I proposed to the United States Congress a Clear Skies Initiative to reduce sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and mercury by 70 percent.

I have -- was fought for a very strong title in the farm bill for the conservation reserve program to set aside millions of acres of land to help improve wildlife and the habitat.

We proposed and passed a healthy forest bill which was essential to working with -- particularly in Western states -- to make sure that our forests were protected.

BUSH: What happens in those forests, because of lousy federal policy, is they grow to be -- they are not -- they're not harvested. They're not taken care of. And as a result, they're like tinderboxes.

And over the last summers I've flown over there. And so, this is a reasonable policy to protect old stands of trees and at the same time make sure our forests aren't vulnerable to the forest fires that have destroyed acres after acres in the West.

We've got a good, common-sense policy.

Now, I'm going to tell you what I really think is going to happen over time is technology is going to change the way we live for the good for the environment.

That's why I proposed a hydrogen automobile -- hydrogen-generated automobile. We're spending $1 billion to come up with the technologies to do that.

That's why I'm a big proponent of clean coal technology, to make sure we can use coal but in a clean way.

I guess you'd say I'm a good steward of the land.

BUSH: The quality of the air's cleaner since I've been the president. Fewer water complaints since I've been the president. More land being restored since I've been the president.

Thank you for your question.

GIBSON: Senator Kerry, minute and a half.

KERRY: Boy, to listen to that -- the president, I don't think, is living in a world of reality with respect to the environment.

Now, if you're a Red Sox fan, that's OK. But if you're a president, it's not.

Let me just say to you, number one, don't throw the labels around. Labels don't mean anything.

I supported welfare reform. I led the fight to put 100,000 cops on the streets of America. I've been for faith-based initiatives helping to intervene in the lives of young children for years. I was -- broke with my party in 1985, one of the first three Democrats to fight for a balanced budget when it was heresy.

Labels don't fit, ladies and gentlemen.

Now, when it comes to the issue of the environment, this is one of the worst administrations in modern history.

KERRY: The Clear Skies bill that he just talked about, it's one of those Orwellian names you pull out of the sky, slap it onto something, like "No Child Left Behind" but you leave millions of children behind. Here they're leaving the skies and the environment behind.

If they just left the Clean Air Act all alone the way it is today, no change, the air would be cleaner that it is if you pass the Clear Skies act. We're going backwards.

In fact, his environmental enforcement chief air-quality person at the EPA resigned in protest over what they're doing to what are calling the new source performance standards for air quality.

They're going backwards on the definition for wetlands. They're going backwards on the water quality.

They pulled out of the global warming, declared it dead, didn't even accept the science.

I'm going to be a president who believes in science.

GIBSON: Mr. President?

BUSH: Well, had we joined the Kyoto treaty, which I guess he's referring to, it would have cost America a lot of jobs.

It's one of these deals where, in order to be popular in the halls of Europe, you sign a treaty. But I thought it would cost a lot -- I think there's a better way to do it.

BUSH: And I just told you the facts, sir. The quality of the air is cleaner since I've been the president of the United States. And we'll continue to spend money on research and development, because I truly believe that's the way to get from how we live today to being able to live a standard of living that we're accustomed to and being able to protect our environment better, the use of technologies.

GIBSON: Senator Kerry, 30 seconds.

KERRY: The fact is that the Kyoto treaty was flawed. I was in Kyoto, and I was part of that. I know what happened. But this president didn't try to fix it. He just declared it dead, ladies and gentlemen, and we walked away from the work of 160 nations over 10 years.

You wonder, Nikki, why it is that people don't like us in some parts of the world. You just say: Hey, we don't agree with you. Goodbye.

The president's done nothing to try to fix it. I will.

I, for one, found the President's answers disturbing. Kerry is right, the current administration has done a pretty good job in eviscerating environmental programs.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Where'd you find the full transcript of the debate? I've been looking for that. So far CNN only has the first six questions, many Bush groupies are saying that Kerry is not laying out his plan, so I'd like to prove them wrong with his own words.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Sad to said but bush enviromental agenda was not to keep our air clean it was to benefit oil companies and big corporations.

TextPresident Bush has racked up the worst environmental record in our lifetime, threatening our health, cutting our trees, dirtying our water, and distorting the truth. He consistently abandons the public interest on behalf of polluters and special interests.

www.bushpollution.com...

[edit on 8-10-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Bush put a former lawyer for Big polluting companies in charge of EPA.
It is funny to hear Bush talk about the environment, He acts like he believes what he says. I can only think he is living in a dreamland.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by W_HAMILTON
Where'd you find the full transcript of the debate? I've been looking for that. So far CNN only has the first six questions, many Bush groupies are saying that Kerry is not laying out his plan, so I'd like to prove them wrong with his own words.

Washington post

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Bush put a former lawyer for Big polluting companies in charge of EPA.
It is funny to hear Bush talk about the environment, He acts like he believes what he says. I can only think he is living in a dreamland.

I don't know who you are talking about slank. Mike Leavitt head of the EPA - is not a lawyer. In fact, Mike Leavitt spent years attempting to prevent the federal government from transporting nuclear and toxic waste into his home state for storage. While not extremist enough for some enviromental groups he is a conservationist.

From his biography:

Leavitt also led his state during the 2002 Olympic Winter Games, the most environmentally-sensitive games ever. Organizers achieved net zero air emissions, zero waste and full compliance with all safety and environmental regulations. One-hundred-thousand trees were planted as a lasting legacy of the environmental accomplishments.

Leavitt

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
My son and I like to go fishing. We practice catch and release.

one reason:

Mercury.

Almost all freshwater fish in the U.S. is contaminated by mercury.

The current administration has rolled back planned reductions in mercury emissions.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
HowardRoark bush knows exactly what is going on with the enviroment and it just make me angry how he can go in public and tell lies.

TextWASHINGTON - April 29 - More than 450,000 Americans have urged the Bush administration to start cleaning up toxic mercury pollution from power plants as soon as possible, generating a record number of public comments about any proposal ever submitted to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Instead of requiring power plants to use modern technology that could start reducing mercury pollution within four years, the Bush administration's ill-conceived plan would delay cleaning up this dangerous pollutant for decades.

yodasworld.tripod.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Bush allows for polluting and destruction of protected wetlands:

Friday, January 10, 2003 Isolated wetlands such as desert springs, vernal pools, and seasonal streams contain up to 20 percent of America's water. But on this day the Bush administration argued that these important water sources for migratory birds aren't covered by the Clean Water Act -- even though they have been for thirty years.
www.nrdc.org...

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Almost all freshwater fish in the U.S. is contaminated by mercury.

The current administration has rolled back planned reductions in mercury emissions.

And some intellectually lazy or dishonest people will interpret this to mean that Bush is singulary responsible for the mercury in fish problem.:shk:

Kerry, on the other hand, tries to sound concerned by saying that he wants to stop dependence on the "Saudi royal family" by exploring alternate energy sources.

What he doesn't mention, however is that he and Ted Kennedy are among the staunchest opponents of windmill power in the waters off Cape Cod, MA. because it would intrude on Kerry's windsurfing playground and Teddy's floating bar.

Kerry is FOR alternate energy unless it is in his backyard. Typical NIMBY response.:shk:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
While I make political decisions on the issues on a whole...I strongly take into consideration the candidates stances on the environment, and animal welfare....Bush fails miserable on these issues! I have grandchildren...I want, at the very least, decent air for them and their children, to breath......I'm just funny like that. I'd like for them to see "white" snow plied up on a country fence post, or the beauty of a wolf running the woods....to hear the birds sing.....to feel the rain on their face......guess I'm old fashion as these things are important to me.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Once again, profit over people is the mindset here.

Bush is in the oil business, so he wants the companies to hoarde the wealth from oil production. He has no interest in alternative energy because of fear of his profits.

[edit on 9-10-2004 by RedOctober90]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
White snow? Rain you can feel on your face without the acid just burning it off? No mecury in your fish? Come on, if we had that that would be against everything republicans stood for. BTW I live near Maumee river, in an area where catch and release is forbidden for if caught you will be arressted for dumping toxins into the water.

EPA? Everyone Please Avenge! What to avenge? Hmmm, those # geysers near pig factories/farms sounds like a good idea. Yep, in areas around mass pig farms(not family, but corporate pig farms) where the # forms a pond of pig #, it then setles into the ground, after awhile it starts to form a bubble under the planet. What happens? They have someone go out and shoot the ground with a shotgun, creating an opening for the gasses and # to get out, creating a # geyser. Clinton had plans fighting this, making # ponds illegal so there would be no # geysers, but Bush axed the plan.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well all I would say is look at what he does not what he says.

The Broken Promises of George W. Bush Website

Rhetoric vs. Reality

President Bush made a lot of promises during his 2000 presidential campaign. The record shows it was all talk.

HEALTH CARE RHETORIC

There are 43 million uninsured Americans � 4 million more than when the current administration took office. George W. Bush will reverse this trend by making health insurance affordable for hard-working, low-income families." Source: Website

HEALTH CARE REALITY

In the first two years Bush was in office, the number of uninsured American increased by nearly four million. Since Bush took office, health insurance premiums have risen by an average rate of 12.5 percent per year. According to a major study, "widespread adoption [of Bush's major health care plan] could drive up the annual deductible paid by workers." [ U.S. Census Bureau, 7/8/04; Kaiser Family Foundation, 4/04; USA Today, 4/25/04]
Source: Website

DEFICIT RHETORIC

"As President, Governor Bush will�pay the debt down to a historically low level."
[Source: Bush-Cheney 2000 website]

DEFICIT REALITY

As of July 30, the national debt stood at $7,316,567,571,232.89, a record high. This year's budget will also create a record deficit: $445 billion, according to the White House. [Source: Treasury Department, 8/3/04, Reuters, 7/31/04]

click the link below for more on these topics

ENVIRONMENTAL RHETORIC / ENVIRONMENTAL REALITY
HIGHER ED RHETORIC / HIGHER ED REALITY
WELFARE RHETORIC / WELFARE REALITY
ENERGY RHETORIC / ENERGY REALITY
JUDICIAL RHETORIC / JUDICIAL REALITY
NUCLEAR PROLIFERATION RHETORIC / NUCLEAR PROLIFERTION REALITY
SPENDING RHETORIC / SPENDING REALITY
TAX RHETORIC / TAX REALITY
DEFICIT RHETORIC / DEFICIT REALITY
SOCIAL SECURITY RHETORIC / SOCIAL SECURITY REALITY

Energy, Nominations, National Security

On everything from energy, to judicial nominations, to nuclear nonproliferation policy, President Bush has broken his promises to the American people

Spending, Deficits and Taxes

Presidential candidate George W. Bush promised to be a fiscal conservative, and not destroy the surplus that had been created during the 1990s. But as the record shows, he has overseen the worst budget deterioration in modern American history � and misled the country about who will receive his tax cuts.

Source:Website American Progress Action Fund

[img]http://www.americanprogressaction.org/atf/cf/[65464111-BB20-4C7D-B1C9-0B033DD31B63]/CARTOON_bu#inator_LARGE.gif[/img]

BUSH LIES FROM A-Z

www.bushlies.net...

BUSH�S PATTERN OF HIDING THE TRUTH

The administration's fabrication's and attempts to bury the truth are not limited to its zealous pursuit of war with Iraq. Below is just a sample of recent items the administration has tried to conceal from the American people:

HIDING THE TOLL OF THE IRAQ WAR.

SUPPRESSING PRESCRIPTION DRUG COST DATA BEFORE CONGRESSIONAL VOTE:

SUPPRESSING EVIDENCE OF MERCURY POISONING:

CENSORED AND DELAYED 9-11 REPORT:

SUPPRESSING, ALTERING OR MANIPULATING EMPERICAL DATA UNDERMINING THEIR IDEOLOGICAL POSITIONS:

More than 4,000 scientists � including 48 Nobel Prize winners and 127 members of the National Academy of Sciences � have accused the Bush administration of distorting and suppressing science to suit its political goals.

ERASING EVIDENCE OF RACIAL DISPARITIES IN REPORT ON ACCESS TO QUALITY HEALTH CARE:

REMOVING INFORMATION ON PRIVATE SCHOOL TUITION:

KILLED TREASURY DEFICIT STUDY:

SUPPRESSING EVIDENCE OF RACIAL HARASSMENT WITHIN THE ASHCROFT JUSTICE DEPARTMENT:

DELETED FORECAST OF TAX PLAN AS �JOB KILLER�:

DELETED FINDINGS OF GLOBAL WARMING:

CONCEALED "CLEAR SKIES" ANALYSIS:

KILLED LAYOFF REPORTS:

DELETED DECLINING MIN. WAGE:

FORCED SCIENTISTS TO ALTER FINDINGS ON KLAMATH RIVER WATER LEVELS:

RESTRICTING DEMOCRATS ABILITY TO QUESTION ADMINISTRATION:

In an unprecedented move, the administration is requiring Democrats to submit all requests for information to Republican chairman of the relevant committee, thereby requiring Republican approval of any such requests. (Milbank � Washington Post 11.08.03)
Source: www.bushlies.net..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> Website

DEFENSE & VETERANS AFFAIRS

LIE: Bush has lauded the �great courage� of those serving in Iraq and has proclaimed that �

This post was part of a special Halloween Homage to Orson Wells.
Jumping out from behind the server and shouting BOO!
ur men and women in uniform give America their best and we owe them our support.�

FACT: Bush�s support has been in words only, as he has requested major cuts in the Impact Aid program providing funds for the schooling of 900,000 children of military families. (The Daily Mis-Lead 10.13.03)

In addition, one million children living in military and veteran families are denied child tax credit help in the President�s tax cut, including 260,000 of children with parents in active duty. (Center for American Progress 12.13.03)

LIE: Bush told the VFW that �Veterans are a priority of this administration . . . and that priority is reflected in my budget.�

FACT: In 2003, Bush killed an emergency funding request that included $275 million for Veterans� medical care, while his 2004 budget requests falls $1.9 billion short of maintaining what the American Legion called �an inadequate status quo.� Bush�s FY2005 budget cuts funding by $13.5 billion over 5 years. (The Daily Mis-Lead 10.21.03, The Center for American Progress 02.04.03)

LIE: In June 2001 Bush stated that the US would not deploy a missile defense system �that doesn�t work.�

FACT: Bush then proceeded to deploy the missile defense system even though a General Accounting Office report found only �limited data for determining whether the system will work as intended.� (Corn � The Nation 10.13.03)Source: www.bushlies.net..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> Website

Source:
www.bushlies.net...

www.bushlies.net...

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Thanks for that extensive post, you know I still can not believe that bush came into national TV and lie about his record and the eviroment.

He most be living in denial alright.:shk:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Clear Skys = Carbon Dioxide is clear.
No child left behind = no, just push them though the system with numbers.
Health Care Plan = prescribe more drugs to the seniors and raise the cost.

Hydrogen Based Economy = Oil!

Programs he's not been a part of that do work, somewhat limited but it's progress.
Biodiesel, resteraunts have over the years had to dump or pay to dump waste cooking oil not it's got a use. Refined it and burns fairly clean in a number of cities school buses reducing breathing problems and health risks in kids.
Hybrid vehicles, not exactly a perfect solution, but it is the biggest step in reduction of fuel use and pollution output. It's a known fact, producing hydrogen for all the autos on the streets in the next few years is too expensive.
Fusion, the holy grail of nuk-u-lar power has some promise, but it's still a ways off. Fission still rules and some newer designs show promise for both new fuel technology, better/safer reactor vessels, coolant and heat transfer systems and recycling nuclear fuel rods, but no reactor plants or scheduled to be built with these technologies in the US.

A lot can be done to preserve the environment without causing an economic drain. Todays regime is only interested in money not the people.

new topics

top topics

join