It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NCAA source: "Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
CBS News
July 22, 2012 8:57 AM

NCAA source: "Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State

It looks like an inside source has leaked some info about the coming "sanctions" and penalties levied against Penn State concerning the Jerry Sandusky convictions and the Joe Paterno and associated cover ups !!!

The "official" announcement will come Monday morning.

(CBS News) CBS News has learned that the NCAA will announce what a high-ranking association source called "unprecedented" penalties against both the Penn State University football team and the school.

"I've never seen anything like it," the source told correspondent Armen Keteyian.

I wonder how this will affect....

The Program --- The program --- The program !!!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
They took JoePa's statue down earlier today. I think we may be seeing a death penalty, and if not multiple years worth of bowl bans...

That football program is definately screwed either way.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
One little thing here. Sandusky was NOT a Penn State employee at the time which he committed the crimes he was convicted for, so why is the NCAA even involved? Answer. Publicity.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
and when they punish the school and all who were never involved, what do they tell the students who have put time in, hard word and gone into debt for an honest education, what do they tell them?

sorry but we decided to tell you all to go fk yourselves and that should make this situation better. tell thousands of staff and students who had nothing to do with this that their lives now suck because the media and the corrupt NCAA says so, well i say to the media and the ncaa to go fk yourselves you ruthless uncaring bastards.

my son is a student there and he doesn't deserve to be labeled nor punished for what a few people did, of which he and thousands of other students and staff had no knowledge of. this is nothing more than playing to the media and whinny retards for money and ratings.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The school is in trouble because 4 of the top authorities knew about what was going on and covered it up for YEARS in order to maintain public image. The NCAA has no choice but to do something about this because they've punished schools for a lot less (ie-suspending coaches and players for getting free taco bell).

In all honesty this school should be punished as they allowed this to happen. Had this gotten out when it started Penn State would be half the shcool it is right now. No one would dare risk sending their kid(s) to a school that is known for child rape.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out why the hammer is being brought down on them, and good riddance...makes me sick just thinking about it. I have no idea how these people went to sleep at night.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

if 4 top people were in fact involved you question and deal with them, not the other 100,000 (random figure) who are innocent.

so what we have here is a crime committed by one man and they say 4 others may have known about it. the crime of abuse to minors. so your answer is to abuse thousands more minors by taking away what they have worked hard for and this is supposed to make it better, brilliant.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
and when they punish the school and all who were never involved, what do they tell the students who have put time in, hard word and gone into debt for an honest education, what do they tell them?

Tell them tough.. They are still getting their honest education. They should be focused on their classes anyway, not football.

The NCAA does not have to do what you want it to. They are punishing this so that other coaches and schools can see them feel the pain. They have a lot of financial influence and they are using it in the right way. The cover up went all the way up. The whole school needed to learn a lesson.

Do I deserve to have crappy presidents giving my country a bad name?
NO
But here we stand.

You don't even know what the NCAA is going to do anyway.
Monday 9:00 AM
edit on 7/22/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The NCAA needs to do this to take a strong stand and send a message to the rest of the universities.

Personally, I think it is silly for institutions of higher learning to give scholarships to students on a basis of their athletic abilities and form the 'farm teams' for the NFL.

But there is a huge amount of money to be made on these students in the sports programs. That is why those four important and powerful people at Penn State hushed everything up, disregarding the minors that were being raped by Sandusky. Penn State should have all of their sports programs shut down and gone over with a fine-toothed comb.

For years, it was thought that the Penn State football program was a very 'clean' one, with Paterno pushing the story that he didn't tolerate rule-breaking. Now we see it was all fake, a public relations show.

Now it is time to pay the piper.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Personally, I think it is silly for institutions of higher learning to give scholarships to students on a basis of their athletic abilities and form the 'farm teams' for the NFL.

Being an NFL farm team may be true but who are you to deny the student athletes with scholarships the chance to an education when they possibly could not afford to go to college without that scholarship

The only people who will be hurt by NCAA sanctions are the student athletes, they will lose their scholarships AND they many not be able to transfer to another college and get a scholarship and as expensive as college is they may not be able to afford to return to college. Now tell me that this is fair to the student athlete

If you want to punish the college administration fine, then you tell them that all proceeds from the football program must be given to non-profit or charitable organisations that work with sexually abused children.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

Sports scholarships are BS anyways. Why should some idiot jock get a free ride for a skill that's useless in the real world while everyone else is forced to amass crushing debt? Let's face it, the people who make real changes in the world don't usually get to university for their sports skills.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
One little thing here. Sandusky was NOT a Penn State employee at the time which he committed the crimes he was convicted for, so why is the NCAA even involved? Answer. Publicity.

Did you hear the story about how that other Coach walked in the Penn State locker room and heard flesh slapping flesh? Then he went in a little further and found Sandusky and a little boy standing naked together (in the Penn State locker room)? Then he told JoePa, who did nothing more than report it to his boss?

Yeah.....there is a lot more than publicity here. Penn State is culpable. And they allowed it to continue (on their premises).

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Wait...you DO realize that college is for an education and not football, right? So, if you take away sports scholarships, you aren't denying anything to anyone based on the merits that education require. All you are doing is telling people that physical prowess is not the same as intellectual prowess. Perhaps you force people who would otherwise not ever read a book to actually make an attempt, and quit making the stupid plans of letting their football/basketball/whatever sport be their "ticket" out of poverty.

I am a former scholarship recipient and all state football player. So I am not saying this as some inhaler puffing nerd with sour grapes.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I am a former scholarship recipient and all state football player. So I am not saying this as some inhaler puffing nerd with sour grapes.

And did you take advantage of your scholarship and get an education ? and would you have been able to do it without the scholarship ?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalWabbit
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

And did you take advantage of your scholarship and get an education ? and would you have been able to do it without the scholarship ?

No. I dropped out after my freshman year.

I would have been able to by doing what I have my son do: work hard and put yourself through school. I pay his rent when he runs short on cash, and buy some groceries. But as long as you aren't too lazy to fill out paperwork, there is money available without ever having to take a loan. He hasn't gotten any loans. He got quite a bit of academic scholarships, however. And that, too, has to do with not being too lazy to complete his school work.

College is expensive. But if you end up paying for it all yourself, you either aren't trying very hard, or are not bright enough to gain any interest in investing in your education.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The Nittany Lions of Penn State had become a religion and was subject to IDOL WORSHIP on the part of the entire University population.............Joe Paterno was the de facto "cover-up" bishop - concealing the sexual crimes of "priests" like Sandusky.

The entire institution should be closed - send the students to a decent school and then throw away the keys to Penn State.
edit on 22-7-2012 by Vitruvian because: edit

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
reply to post by MmmPie

if 4 top people were in fact involved you question and deal with them, not the other 100,000 (random figure) who are innocent.

so what we have here is a crime committed by one man and they say 4 others may have known about it. the crime of abuse to minors. so your answer is to abuse thousands more minors by taking away what they have worked hard for and this is supposed to make it better, brilliant.

Penn state officials put FOOTBALL over the well being of children. Children who were viciously raped by a person who was given a safe haven by the school.

They should lose the football program forever for what these people did and how many lives are ruined because of this over a GAME !

Kids on scholarships will be able to keep them or will be able to transfer to other schools.

. I thought the point of college was an education anyway.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Being an NFL farm team may be true but who are you to deny the student athletes with scholarships the chance to an education when they possibly could not afford to go to college without that scholarship

I have had the privilege to know a few student athletes. One had a full ride at Penn state, courtesy of his ability to play basketball. He worked as summer help where I was employed before his senior year of high school. He needed a lot of help to fill out his employment papers... Tough things like his address and phone number. I am not joking. Yeah, he probably got a lot out of his scholarship, academically speaking.
There are a lot of these student athletes that are not only coddled through college, but also in high school. A local high school, known for it's football program(it produced Kerry Collins, Chad Henne and John Gilmore Jr.) had a little problem with their coach, he was caught buying beer for the high school players for a party. That isn't even touching on how the teachers are pressured to make sure that the players pass their classes.

It is a big joke to link athletics and academics in schools. If it is such a big deal, and so important, why not have athletic schools? Dedicate them to athletic prowess and screw the academic goals.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

I was on JoePa's side from the start, but the more this thing unfolds, the more it looks like enough people at Penn State were in the know and in on the coverup and protecting their own asses.

I'm thinking they are getting what they deserved to a certain extent, but I do have another problem with killing the program or heavily sanctioning and limiting it. The football program is a HUGE income generator for the school. If the program dies, it hurts every student at Penn State. The students didn't do anything wrong, and they don't deserve to wear the burden of losing the football program. This will affect classes offered, research, tuition, etc., and that isn't fair to the students. The NCAA needs to be very careful of the overall impact of their decision.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It was a more or less open secret on the Penn State Main campus for years that Jerry Sandusky liked little boys. As far as most knew, it was just a rumor. But that rumor came from truth.

The ones that knew the truth let it pass. Their inaction was criminal.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

What does the football program have to do with an honest education? Nothing at all.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join