It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Obama Does Not Have A Birth Certificate

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
A whole 18 pages of successful stories.

www.davidicke.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Rules of Grammar are as good as law; granted there is no grammar nazi goon squad to arrest you for not dotting your i's. However, everybody is expected to follow the rules and codes of grammar just as they are expected to follow the rules and laws. Otherwise why would they stress the point of writing in correct grammar?

/facepalm
edit on 27-7-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

I cans be arrested for writing not good english and poor speeling?

edit on 7/27/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Re-read my edit because I knew someone would post a stupid comment like that.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Rules of Grammar are as good as law;

No they aren't. You are the one who made the stupid comment.

Otherwise why would they stress the point of writing in correct grammar?

You can write in any manner you wish. But if you want people to understand what you're writing and if you don't want to look like a fool proper grammar is a big plus.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Gregg's Manual of English: "A name spelled in all capital letters or a name initialed, is not a proper noun denoting a specific person, but is a fictitious name, or a name of a dead person, or a nom de guerre."

Black's Law Dictionary "Fictitious Name": "A counterfeit, alias, feigned, or pretended name taken by a person, differing in some essential particular from his true name (consisting of Christian name and patronymic), with the implication that it is meant to deceive or mislead."

Oxford Dictionary:
"nom": Used in expressions denoting a pseudonym, a false or assumed name.

"Nom de guerre": War name. A name assumed by or assigned to a person engaged in some action or enterprise.

"Guerre": War, and as a verb, to wage war.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why do they base laws on following the codes of grammar? Your argument was baseless. Prime example of attacking semantics. Fine; would it satisfy you for me to rephrase it as "The rules of grammar are like the rules/laws of life?" You can't get through life without following the rules of grammar, nor can you understand the rules and laws of life without understanding proper grammar.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

There does not seem to be anything called "Gregg's Manual of English". There is, however, something called The Gregg Reference Manual. The phrase does not seem to be contained within it.
Gregg

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You can't get through life without following the rules of grammar, nor can you understand the rules and laws of life without understanding proper gramma

You can get through life if you're illiterate. Millions do.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

www.davidicke.com...

That is an 18 page thread, not 18 pages of proof. I dont care about people saying they got out of something by sending a bill to the court, I'm not arguing that.

Enlighten me where in there is any case at all that shows as proof of your all caps issue.

I read through a few pages. Looked like some people from the US, some from Canada, elsewhere I think ... but nothing from the US that gives you any ammunition for your all caps argument.

If I am missing it somewhere, please point it out.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Can you read?

en.wikipedia.org...

The Gregg Reference Manual: A Manual of Style, Grammar, Usage, and Formatting is a guide to English grammar and style.

Way to leave out the fact that there are different editions. This particular piece came from the 8th edition.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Phage

Can you read?

Yes I can.
Can you?

There does not seem to be anything called "Gregg's Manual of English". There is, however, something called The Gregg Reference Manual. The phrase does not seem to be contained within it.
Gregg

This particular piece came from the 8th edition.

Prove it.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by flyswatter

Since the rule of law follows the rules of grammar; their own government documents state that a proper persons name is spelled "John Doe", by knowingly printing your name 'JOHN DOE' they are referencing the nom de guerre as quoted from the Manual of Grammar and English. 'JOHN DOE' is considered a legal fiction, that you assume the debt and responsibilities of by appearing in court on his behalf.

There is more to this than just some single cell arguments. You have to do you homework on it, and the people that do are successful.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Keep attacking semantics...There is no difference in Gregg's reference manual (that states it is a guide to english grammar and style), and Gregg's Manual of English... They are the same thing.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If you don't want to buy my 'snake oil' then move along, there is nothing to see here.. I have better things to do than have to prove the sky is blue to people who obviously want to believe it is green.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

reply to post by flyswatter

Since the rule of law follows the rules of grammar; their own government documents state that a proper persons name is spelled "John Doe", by knowingly printing your name 'JOHN DOE' they are referencing the nom de guerre as quoted from the Manual of Grammar and English. 'JOHN DOE' is considered a legal fiction, that you assume the debt and responsibilities of by appearing in court on his behalf.

There is more to this than just some single cell arguments. You have to do you homework on it, and the people that do are successful.

So you're saying that you dont have anything that shows your all caps argument being successful?

If such a case exists, I would be genuinely interested in reading about it. I dont think you can provide the proof, but if you prove me wrong and you actually CAN show a case where it was successful, I'm more than willing to actually read it.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

www.davidicke.com...

Stories being the key word. Considering the bs source I wouldn't trust any of those as far as I could throw them. I'm not even going to bother reading them. Try posting actual court decisions.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

There is no difference in Gregg's reference manual (that states it is a guide to english grammar and style), and Gregg's Manual of English... They are the same thing.

I thought words were important. There is no publication titled Gregg's Manual of English as your source (whatever it is) claims. Nor is there any such claimed phrase (re: capitalization) in The Gregg Reference Manual.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I have better things to do than have to prove the sky is blue to people who obviously want to believe it is green.

I can see the sky is blue. I see no evidence of your claim about capital letters being factual.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Phage

Gregg's Manual of English: "A name spelled in all capital letters or a name initialed, is not a proper noun denoting a specific person, but is a fictitious name, or a name of a dead person, or a nom de guerre."

Black's Law Dictionary "Fictitious Name": "A counterfeit, alias, feigned, or pretended name taken by a person, differing in some essential particular from his true name (consisting of Christian name and patronymic), with the implication that it is meant to deceive or mislead."

Oxford Dictionary:
"nom": Used in expressions denoting a pseudonym, a false or assumed name.

"Nom de guerre": War name. A name assumed by or assigned to a person engaged in some action or enterprise.

"Guerre": War, and as a verb, to wage war.

I frankly find this argument based on CAPITALIZATION of words too close to complete and utter bullcr@p.

Second line: yes I do.

I filled more than one form in my life in all capital block letters. A lot of people did, too.

Enough of that nonsense.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join