It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control means hitting your target.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege.”
~Wilson v. State

This is an open letter to the rest of the world from my point of view as an American.

Hello world, I'm kinda tired of you putting your 2 cents in everytime something happens in my country. I could understand if it had to do with an issue which concerns you, but internal issues like "Gun Control" should not even be uttered from your mouths because you're ignorant in that subject by default. No, I don't care what your opinion is on gun control, most Americans dont.

Here, you are allowed to protect yourself against assaults, rape, murder and the such. We have the right to self protect. It seems like most of the places that hate our freedom to self protect, are places where that freedom has been stripped from the populace.

In MY country, you don't have to cower and hide and wait for the police and hope that they show up in time, in your country it seems that's the norm. I mean look at Tony Martin Guys break into his house, he goes to jail and gets sued for defending himself, your culture sickens me. I don't understand how you've all been brainwashed to accept that you don't have the right to protect yourself and your family. I mean you guys have gun control so your murder rate should be at zero right? You own government doesn't trust you with firearms....that's sad, you're a conquered people.

Gun Control does not work... PERIOD! Why? because law abiding citizens turn in their guns, criminals do not...BECAUSE THEY'RE CRIMINALS!!! So now you're left with nothing to defend yourself with against the scum and you need the state for protection...great system you've got there.

But enough about me and my opinion, lets hear the experts....

“The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let’s not have any native militia or native police. German troops alone will bear the sole responsibility for the maintenance of law and order throughout the occupied Russian territories, and a system of military strong-points must be evolved to cover the entire occupied country.”
- Adolf Hitler, dinner talk on April 11, 1942

Nazi Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
- Joseph Stalin

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. By 1987 that figure had risen to 61,911,000.

“The measures adopted to restore public order are: First of all, the elimination of the so-called subversive elements. … They were elements of disorder and subversion. On the morrow of each conflict I gave the categorical order to confiscate the largest possible number of weapons of every sort and kind. This confiscation, which continues with the utmost energy, has given satisfactory results.”
- Benito Mussolini, address to the Italian Senate, 1931

“All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party.”
- Mao Tze Tung, Nov 6 1938

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952 10,076,000 political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated in Kuomintang China, and by 1987 another 35,236,000 exterminations were carried out under the Communists.

“I want you to know that everything I did, I did for my country.”
- Pol Pot

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. Between 1975 and 19793, 2,035,000 “educated” people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

During the short four years of its rule in Cambodia, Pol Pot’s Khmer Rouge government murdered over 31 percent of the entire Cambodian population.

“Armas para que? (“Guns, for what?”)”
A response to Cuban citizens who said the people might need to keep their guns, after Castro announced strict gun control in Cuba.
- Fidel Castro

This seems to be the running theme... these guys knew this

“A free people ought to be armed.”
– George Washington

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”
– Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined…The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun.”
- Patrick Henry

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don’t have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.”
~Yoshimi Ishikawa

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense.”
- John Adams

"The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world not destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them … the weak will become prey to the strong.”
~Thomas Paine

“To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them.”
– George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
- James Madison, Federalist Paper #46

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.”
- William Pitt, Nov. 18, 1783

“The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops.”
- Noah Webster, 1787

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”
- George Orwell

"The tank, the B-52, the fighter-bomber, the state-controlled police and military are the weapons of dictatorship. The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws.”
~Edward Abbey

”No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave. He, who has nothing, and who himself belongs to another, must be defended by him, whose property he is, and needs no arms. But he, who thinks he is his own master, and has what he can call his own, ought to have arms to defend himself, and what he possesses; else he lives precariously, and at discretion.”
~James Burgh

.”Any single man must judge for himself whether circumstances warrant obedience or resistance to the commands of the civil magistrate; we are all qualified, entitled, and morally obliged to evaluate the conduct of our rulers. This political judgment, moreover, is not simply or primarily a right, but like self-preservation, a duty to God. As such it is a judgment that men cannot part with according to the God of Nature. It is the first and foremost of our inalienable rights without which we can preserve no other.”
~John Locke

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times

.”Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
~Thomas Jefferson

”You are bound to meet misfortune if you are unarmed because, among other reasons, people despise you….There is simply no comparison between a man who is armed and one who is not. It is unreasonable to expect that an armed man should obey one who is unarmed, or that an unarmed man should remain safe and secure when his servants are armed. In the latter case, there will be suspicion on the one hand and contempt on the other, making cooperation impossible.”
~Niccolo Machiavelli

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.”

- Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

edit on 20-7-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.

Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.

Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.

During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.

Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.

Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.

Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

Source

Even more contemporary. Guns go down, violent crimes such as rape go up. Gee, I wonder why. If I was a person that liked to rape women, I would go to a place that I know women are likely not to be armed.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

This should be the standard response to any person asking for more Gun Control. Its not a bad thing to want gun control if your reason is "safety", but there is a reason that we shouldnt have Gun Control and "safety" is the exact same answer.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Exactly, just like "Gun Free Zones" means "Please Rob, Kill, Rape here zone" because the citizens are unarmed.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

The problem is most people don't understand that concept, they try to make it complicated...when it's fairly simple to comprehend.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Arrogant right from the very first paragraph.

You don't need a gun to protect yourself. You don't need to kill to protect yourself.

In the very rare case that you need to defend your life against someone else, there are many other options, you NEVER need a firearm, maybe there's an exception in some cases when they have a gun, but then banning guns would make it a lot harder for that to happen.

Why would any other country to ignorant by default? How arrogant is that statement... any other country is quite capable of common sense, in fact many would say more capable.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Lol an australian..... Yeah considering your county's track record after the gun grab, you should just go away.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

edit on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 00:10:05 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
yeah what he said...

if you don't like my countries citizens owning guns,
go screw yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

i propose a gun ownership mandate,
or pay a tax.

hows that sound lefties?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
reply to post by TKDRL

Exactly, just like "Gun Free Zones" means "Please Rob, Kill, Rape here zone" because the citizens are unarmed.

I never grew up around guns.. but won't having the gun encourages those as well? its both ways. if someone comes behind you and have you on point blank, even if you have gun, he is going to have his ways with you, esp when he knows you might have a gun, knowing the person he is going to rob will have a gun will make the robber more aggressive.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

That's because you apparently have never been in a situation to decide whether to take someones life or not.

I plan on keeping my weapon. I use it to feed myself and defend, if need be, me and mine.

"Nuff said.
edit on 21-7-2012 by TDawgRex because: Crap! I need coffee!

link   
reply to post by luciddream

If you were wanting to hurt someone, would you pick somewhere you didn't know if people were armed or not, because the law lets them be, or pick an area you knew it was highly unlikely they were armed?

link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Lol an australian..... Yeah considering your county's track record after the gun grab, you should just go away.

Wow, a stereotypical arrogant, self absorbed, "my country is the best" American. From your first 3 words I can tell you're not worth debating with. I'm just as welcome here as you are, and my opinion is just important. Let's not bring up gun crime statistics, because yours certainly don't look good.

You could have made a civilized post, but no, you start off by subtly insulting my country and telling me to go away based on that alone, disgusting attitude.
edit on 21-7-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It's a strange phenomenon. Whenever there is a terrible tragedy involving guns, certain parties always seem to rush out to defend them.

I'm not against the right to own weapons. But gun control can be a very positive thing. There are people in society that simply shouldn't be owning guns. I think everyone can agree with this.

The problem is when you have instances such as the recent tragedy where a person who has never had any prior convictions is able to purchase weapons and ammo legally and then use them in a terrible manner. The idea that all gun crimes are committed with illegally obtained weapons is just as fallacious as the argument that making guns illegal would prevent gun crime. It is very likely that in this case if we did not allow him to buy the guns legally, he probably would not have had the means to shoot those people.

It's a very slippery situation, and I think the best solution is to enforce stricter mental/conditional screening on those attempting to purchase weapons.

Nothing anyone can do will ever make anyone 100% safe, that is a fact we all must accept.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Yes, right..... Everywhere I have lived in the US and Canada, guess what? Loose gun laws, no gun crimes. And what about the rest of the violent crimes out there such as rape? Australia skyrocketed after the gun grab.

The worst deaths we have had here in the 9 years I lived here were car accidents, despite all the guns we have. The worst "crime" we have here is drug charges.
edit on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 00:19:28 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Wow, a stereotypical arrogant, self absorbed, "my country is the best" American. From your first 3 words I can tell you're not worth debating with. I'm just as welcome here as you are, and my opinion is just important. Let's not bring up gun crime statistics, because yours certainly don't look good.

You could have made a civilized post, but no, you start off by subtly insulting my country and telling me to go away based on that alone, disgusting attitude.
edit on 21-7-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

my country is the best,
thats why i live here and not australia.

America, f#$% yeah

oh, and good luck fighting off the china men, when you have no guns.

edit on 21-7-2012 by bjax9er because: add

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Arrogant right from the very first paragraph.

You don't need a gun to protect yourself. You don't need to kill to protect yourself.

In the very rare case that you need to defend your life against someone else, there are many other options, you NEVER need a firearm, maybe there's an exception in some cases when they have a gun, but then banning guns would make it a lot harder for that to happen.

Why would any other country to ignorant by default? How arrogant is that statement... any other country is quite capable of common sense, in fact many would say more capable.

You are a failure of your school system & your reading comprehension needs work. I believe I said "Ignorant in that subject" I'm typing my reply to you on my keyboard, but I couldn't tell you how to build one because "I'm ignorant in that subject" ya know building keybords...not my thing. Just like American's culture on Firearms and the laws that govern them seems to be hard to understand for people in other countries, because A
they dont live here, so it's a cultural misunderstanding and B
They probably don't study our laws or .2a (Not that I would expect them to) SO Would it be reasonable for me to say that they would be "Ignorant" in the subject of the 2nd Amendment and it's application?

The rest of your statement is pretty much BS and opinion. "You don't need to kill to defend yourself?!?" It's a simple thing, it's called use of force. If you're drunk and in a bar & pick a fight with me, I'll defend myself but won't hurt you, it's unfair to you because you're not in your right mind and I'd feel bad about beating up a drunk guy.

If you kick down my door at 3am and you have a weapon and move towards me, you will die there.
edit on 21-7-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Here here!

Come get an education antis.

Guess what? You can hate on us all you like, but in the end, if what happened in the past events listed above ever happens here, we'll be the ones you hide behind when tyranny reaches your home, and we will defend you too, even if it means our deaths.

That's just what we are made of.
edit on 21/7/12 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
if you kick down my door at 3am, i'am going to shoot your a$$ regardless if you have a weapon or not.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
reply to post by TKDRL

I never grew up around guns.. but won't having the gun encourages those as well? its both ways. if someone comes behind you and have you on point blank, even if you have gun, he is going to have his ways with you, esp when he knows you might have a gun, knowing the person he is going to rob will have a gun will make the robber more aggressive.

Another fallacy, it's not your fault...you just don't have the right mindset. If you are carrying a firearm, you don't walk around not paying attention to your surroundings. The best way to win a gunfight is to avoid it in the first place. You do this by having situational awareness, simply picking up on cues and paying attention to your surroundings. If I'm out to dinner, my backs not to the door. If I'm in a crowded area, I'm on a wall and paying attention to those around me. Most people wander aimlessly through areas distracted by their ipod, or phone and walk right into trouble. The signs are there, you just missed them.

As far as me carrying, I'm not wearing a t-shirt that says "I HAVE A GUN" , I'm not walking around in a tactical tuxedo of 5.11 gear on. My weapon is concealed IWB or "In WaistBand" so if I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know it was there. I'm not printing. Because of my past professions, I'm fairly good at having forseight to know what's going to happen before it does, I'm not psychic...I just read the signs. Plenty of times when something happens to someone on the street you'll hear victims say "He came out of nowhere" , when that's usually not the case, you just got caught "Sleeping"

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Yes, right..... Everywhere I have lived in the US and Canada, guess what? Loose gun laws, no gun crimes. And what about the rest of the violent crimes out there such as rape? Australia skyrocketed after the gun grab.

The worst deaths we have had here in the 9 years I lived here were car accidents, despite all the guns we have. The worst "crime" we have here is drug charges.
edit on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 00:19:28 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

And that goes for where I live too, never been any gun crimes anywhere near where I've lived. You need to look at larger sample sizes.

(% homicides with firearms, Firearm homicide rate per 100,000 pop., Non-firearm homicide rate per 100,000 pop., Overall homicide rate per 100,000)
Australia: 20, 0.31, 1.26, 1.57
USA: 65. 2.97, 1.58, 4.55

Now this is very interesting. The firearm homicide rate per 100k people is 0.31 in Aus, 2.97 in USA. The non firearm homicide rate is 1.26 in Aus, 1.58 in the USA. So as you can see, whilst our non-gun murders are lower, they're not that much different, yet your gun related murders are WAY higher and brings the total homicide rate much higher.

How can you argue with this? Guns increase homicide.

en.wikipedia.org...
(Check wiki for the sources)

Also, OP, your examples are rubbish. All of them are related to government forces or some kind of dictatorship killing people. If these people had guns, it would make things worse. Sure they would be able to defend themselves a bit more, but there's no way they could win, it would have just delayed their death and possibly anger the forces in to doing worse things.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join