It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto shooting Tragedy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Apparently this was one of the worse Canada has seen, according to one policeman.

The police are still trying to put the pieces together, but it looks like 2 dead for certain.

wow..a community BBQ , and two shooters are suspected.

May those who did not make it through rest in peace. Many were shot..

news.ca.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Seriously, what is going on in Canada. It seems every other day you hear reports of shootings or violent crime.

I would like to hear what any Canadians on the site have to say. I always thought of canada as a sort of chilled out country.

Is this an indication of what the tighter economic pressures are doing to the population, or a rise in gang culture, any one?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Text version of the event can be found here:

www.cbc.ca...

Toronto has some major issues with gun violence. Perhaps due to the mentality of some of it's people in the ghetto areas. They are trying to fix it by integrating public housing through different communities to affect the culture that looks at these types of things as acceptable.

Whoever fired the gun should look at themselves in the mirror, realize they are no different than suicide bomber. Except they forgot the last part of the act when they finished.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
But canada has strict gun control. How could this ever happen?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes, its time people start realizing that putting bullets in others doesn't always put an end to problems .

Just sad to this type of stuff happening, anywhere in the world, and I can imagine the screaming and the children crying.

Anyone who doesn't care about putting children and their families through this kind of trauma, needs to point the gun in the right direction next time .. first shot..and only shot. That sounds harsh, and I'm not sure I mean it, but honestly, if you can kill or want to harm that many people, you need help, or you need to be gone from this world.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

Well actually it's because illegal firearms are trafficked from the US north of the border. That's neither here nor there though...

I have no problem with responsible people owning firearms. Something needs to be done about this culture that thinks it's cool to fire weapons into crowds.

This just happened a couple weeks ago:

www.thestar.com...

-

This is no different than driving a car into a crowd of people. Both are equally deadly. How much street cred does running down innocent people get you?
edit on 17-7-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I hope that was a sarcastic question.

Canada has those who carry guns illegally ,and I'm sure Toronto's black market gun trade is hugely profitable.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

By the way. The UK has strict gun control, and they are isolated from countries like the US with lax gun control.

Incidentally they have a lot of stabbings:

Knife violence in Britain is far worse than official statistics suggest, with almost 14,000 people taken to hospital for injuries caused by knives and other sharp weapons last year.

www.independent.co.uk...

The issues that need to be addressed as to why people are so prone to attempting to kill each other. In any case, one can argue that at least knives keep it between two people, but neither scenario is ideal...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
A total of 19 people were injured during the incident and although the two deaths are tragic, this isn't as uncommon as the media would have you believe. This type of thing occurs every summer and regretfully typically involves a certain minority group during some type of BBQ or event intended to bring to the community together.

What you have to realize, is that Toronto is currently embroiled in a hot political debate involving mostly gun control. Here it's been dubbed the "Summer of the Gun" by the media because of an earlier event this year when shots were fired in a crowded food court a the Eaton's center resulting in two deaths and subsequent injuries to innocent bystanders. The incidents themselves usually involve some type of gang activity/affiliation. Also the long gun registry database program was slated to be shut down and the media and politicians leverage that and the incidents as a justification for the registry or a call for more gun control in general and increase police spending to deal with it.

There was even a political attempt to ban the purchase of bullets inside Toronto borders (which made absolutely no sense to me, criminals are mobile and could have easily purchased them outside of city limits) Now I believe there is an attempt to ban registered hand guns (which again makes no sense to me, as criminals don't typically have there guns registered, they are generally stolen from businesses or private citizens who register them). All in all it's either politicians and the police force trying to save face for previous ineptitude or leveraging the incidents to further increase there budgets and garner votes in the next election. Toronto is a safe city and so is the rest of Canada compared to other places with the same populations.

Yesterday's shootings;

www.thestar.com...

Eaton's Centre shooting;

www.thestar.com...

Toronto Bullet Ban;

www.thestar.com...

Toronto Hand Gun Ban;

www.thestar.com...

I see previous posters have mentioned some of the things I have discussed...but let me reiterate Toronto is a safe city and don't let the media seeking to sell papers, politicians seeking votes or police seeking expanded budgets tell you otherwise!

edit on 17-7-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: add last paragraph

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Cross border smuggling from the US.

^^ Statement is not intended to be negative on the US, simply stating fact.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Canada, rather Toronto has one of its Ghetto still remaining, even tho 90% of the Toronto is well maintained and tourist friendly, but then you also got these small areas that are piss poor. 60% of the shooting will emerge from this area and about 80% of it has links from this area(sorry no exact source, i guess the source would be myself).

2012 is probably one of the worse in recent years to have this many shooting, esp this many non accidental death.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I lived and went to school just east of Danzig on Lawrence Rd. over 10 years ago, I can tell you from experience that this is nothing new. 4 years living in the area, 2 robberies at gunpoint, 2 break and enters in my house and a 15 year old friend found stabbed to death behind Rouge Hill GO station.

The whole area from Orton Park to Malvern has become one big ghetto, anyone who lives in there knows not to go out alone after dark at the risk of being robbed, beaten and worse, especially if your White. I hate playing the race card but its true. I knew people who were scared to death (literally) just to go to the bus stop after dark.

Why is it like this? Same reason why it's like this in other countries, low income government housing for immigrants and a culture that idolizes drug dealers and murderers.
edit on 17-7-2012 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Malvern, Jane/Finch are few of those area that still has gang activity going, tho its subtle most of the time but it does happen.

I live close to Malvern, Malvern is like 15 min from my house(i live along Steels), the area totally changes as soon as you approach it (one of my friend lives in Malvern).. you start seeing trash on roads, sometimes bunch of cars parked together with lot of guys by it. Its predominantly black neighborhood, however there are all races that live there, some immigrants start out there due to low income and move out soon as they find a good job.

I knew many black guys by Malvern, i used to work a part-time job there when i was a teen. most of them unlike older generation tries to study and try to get a head in life.

I would still walk thru Malvern without worry in a daytime, but i probably wont be there past 10pm. or whenever daylight fades.
edit on 7/17/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Vancouver of all places has also produced a fairly busy gun crime record sporadically.....
There are certain gangs which are mosatly racially oriented(Vietnamese,East Indian, and of course caucasian gangs as well)
For a while it was The Russians shooting each other with crossbows(the perfect murder weapon )in the Burnaby New Westminster area,then the vietnamese newly arrived,after which came the east Indian gang war, then the Bacon Bros fiasco with all kinds of shootings in the Surrey area out to Mission.....
And during all this, WE GET THE 30-40 MURDERS BY PICTON AND THE OLSON MURDERS (20+teens)
I am not really sure why ,But it seems that the vilence comes in cycles everywhere.......when people are assassinated in broad daylight and 20 /30 shots are fired through their car from a high powered rifle as in one case....or shots are fired into crowds. there is going to be "collateral murders" of bystanders.......The anti gun lobby is alwas quick to blame the legally registered gun owners, and apt to press for tighter restrictions....the problem being that the criminals just dont listen.......They keep right getting illegal weapons and using them.
Punish the criminals and not the regular citizens.
TO is a very mixed city racially.....and in reality it is safer than most US cities of comparablre size.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
When I was reading an article about the shooting today I was shocked because it also stated that so far this year more then 200 people have been shot in Toronto.

Goes to show you how scared and filled with hate people are these days. Just the way TPTB want them to be.

new topics

top topics

join