It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Urban survival for SHTF / WROL

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
If no guns, then a crossbow?

ETA: actually, those aren't allowed in many states in the US either (with regards to hunting) so, archery bow? Not be subtle, though..

edit on 15-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

You can use a crossbow in Missouri in any bow season if you can validate that you have some kind of medical reason to not be able to use a regular bow. They are of course legal to buy in the States I wonder about the UK though.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
would recommend learning either aikido or the old soviet systema that the former u.s.s.r trained its spetznaz troops in for defense rather than krav maga which is limited and pretty much useless ..

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by EqualizerUK

Best advice is to stop wasting your time trying to be a "badass", you're not going to be running around having martial arts duels in the streets if SHTF. The guy who survives is going to be the person that loots the tins of dog food to eat while people like you have mma fights and d*** measuring contests over the tinned beans.
Krav maga isn't going to save you when your throat gets cut in your sleep because you bedded down in the wrong location feeling safe because you can fight. I've seen 'pro fighters' get their asses handed to them three times because they were acting like a big man and weren't expecting to get their nose bitten off or kicked in the balls. You can nearly always tell someone is just a fantasist when they start talking about the martial arts training they're doing for when SHTF. When it comes to something like krav maga, do you have any idea what a small proportion of special forces training is dedicated to hand to hand unarmed combat? You're jumping straight into one of the least important aspects or survival because you want to feel like a badass NOW not survive when SHTF. You're time would be far, far better spent working on your basic aerobic fitness so that if needs be you can carry your bug out bag 200+km on foot. Sure guns are illegal the UK but if SHTF you're not going to survive by being a law abiding citizen, it's hard enough to survivie right now as a law abiding citizen.
honestly chief, as far as the polish goes i'd just figure out how to say "no, please don't kill me, take everything just take it all" and your replies in this thread about having good knives and picking up firearms and ammo while your on the move just scream 'wannabe'. buy some good books on survival and portable equipment, keep running and stop daydreaming about being rambo.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Bravo, well said! The best way to survive is to realize that there are no rules for survival and everything goes. Hand to hand combat may happen but it will likely involve blades not fists. Survival in the forest doesn't mean you have to carry 300lbs of ammo, weaponry, and rations. No, rather that just slows you down, burns more of your energy, and makes you a bigger target. If SHTF, in my mind the only rule that will exist for me is survival of the fittest. I'd be extremely cautious if I saw someone, even if they have children with them. The idea is that everyone could be your enemy. It would be a great idea to find a group that are on the same side that you're on, whatever side that you decide to be on, but always be ready for the unexpected when trying to survive.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart
****************************************************************************************
Jeeezus, man, how authorities found out about the weapons? When you have something like that, the only one should know about it - is You. I really hope you would not be sent to prison.
Folks, you are saying about the guns - it is OK when you live in USA, but here in Britain the Gov. attitude to the guns - is just insane, and because of this most of us will suffer greatly if anything awful happens (disaster, nuclear war, end of the world etc.)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Whiteinch

Thought to share some tips with you about survival that i have been planing my self in AUS
gun here also illegal but with permits you can still get them (only bolt action) better then nothing i guess
Krav Maga is good and very powerful but someone did mention earlier in the thread SYSTEMA will be a better way to go.

get your self an ipad or laptop also get a solar charger for it - download as many PDF files as you can on Survival, hunting, fishing, mechanical, electrical, DIY, MEDICAL(LEARN FIRST AID) all that you can think off
you will never learn all but you can store as much as you can find and fit. (KNOWLEDGE IS POWER)
I wouldnt worry to much about gun just yet, but again as someone mentioned any weapon better then bear hands

MAP - download/Print/Purchase street map (write on it all stores/hardware/medical centers/hospitals/VET places/GUN SHOPS) pretty much everything just so you will know whats close to you where ever you stand.
DONT RELY TO MUCH ON ELECTRONIC DEVICES - but get a CV RADIO
Travel light - under 16KG (if on foot) you be running jumping ducking so much be light and quick
Food - 5kg Protein bar and powered food will get you though Minimum couple of months plus all the other junk you will come across 2-3l water bottles will be Plenty + filters
FIRE is a must dont worry to much about underwater maches or lighters just get condoms or zip bags and put 1$ lighters in there

Remember world is not ending. you will resupply and find others.

Best of luck

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Lol was the learning Polish thing a joke!?!? If not then have a think, most Poles here in the UK speak English fairly alright, some don't granted, but they learn fast enough form the others. Also there arn't that many of them to need to learnt the language. I live in Reading which is one of the towns with the highest Polish population in the country and there arn't so many that language is ever an issue. It would be much much MUCH better to learn another universal language such as Spanish/Arabic/French/Russian rather than polish.

Your MMA experience may not be tailored to the streets, but the level of your training and especially competition will put you head and shoulders above 95% of the rest of the population, maybe try some weapons training, get a crossbow, learn some knife fighting. With your training something like fencing or knife fighting will come fairly quickly to you and will make you very deadly.

I wouldn't worry too much though, sounds like you are far physically superior in body and mind. Remember combat will not be what kills most people at all, that will be a very small %. It will be disease, lack of food and water that will prove most lethal. Train yourself to live of the land best you can, your combat training is far better than most peoples and better by a very large margin even if you stopped training today and never trained again. I'd learn to use a crossbow or bow and arrow. Or go further and get a .22 rifle or shotgun if you can get permitted one.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Also don't get a gun. When shtf and you're in prison you will be left for dead! Uk gun laws are very strict and to aquire one you are risking a hell of a lot. The sort of people who sell guns are the sort of people who will rob you as well so don't bother with them, they will most likely sell you a shoddy replica or one that doesn't work at all.

When shtf then by all means if you can get one get one. But you'd be a lot better hiding and avoiding trouble full stop. realistically you are most likely to die from all manner of things with violence being one of the most unlikely. Films may depict a lot of craziness, but this scenario will mostly be tedium and scavenging anything you can, with little more excitement than that.

Martial arts training is great for your fitness though despite not being a likely skill that you'l need compared with wood/metal craft, medical knowledge etc. Any violence will most likely occur as an ambush where you will have little hope or fighting back. Getting bashed over the head from behind, shot with a weapon or attacked by someone who has gained your trust. Nobody is going to square up to fight you even if they have a knife. They will probably befriend you and when you go have a tinkle by a tree because they are obviously no threat after spending a lot of time with them they will stab you in the neck, run off and watch you bleed to death. Or stab you in your sleep. Or stalk you until you become vulnerable. The attacks most likely will be nearly impossible to defend against. Any training will give you better survival chances, but training to avoid people or leaving tracks will be much more beneficial.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
wind up radio, wind up torch, and a wind up battery charger. i also have a radio scanner and have been thinking about a hand-held HF radio witch I would strongly recommend. also a frequency counter could not go a miss either. books on wild food fishing line rod and small net also survival book or 2.

Also I would have a gas mask with a few filters, and also make plans fro travel if # does hit the fan EXPECT motorways, airports to be closed for military use. find a place you can go and then find another place and then another 4 should about do it. I have included a decommission nuclear bunker in mine. remember the more remote the last chance of people finding you, weather that is good or bad depends on the social status of the country and how the government react to the incident.

4G/3G phone with a windup/solar charger. you never know but you might need information on the so called event and what people are doing. Also make plans for different type of events chemical/nuclear/biological/military invasion and more make plans for all of them especially a drill for what to do in the beginning of them all, like the first 20 steps.

For me if it is nuclear first thing i do is gas mask ->where was explosion->check weather->where wind is blowing-> do I need to move quick. etc.

Another thing i would try to do is get somewhere remote preferably an island going up to Scotland then getting on somewhere like the isle of skye would be nice.

There a few more things i could tell you to get, but when the SHTF does happen remember to stay away from cities and towns or built up areas because that where the majority of people will be and more people = more trouble.

Hope that helps.
edit on 16-7-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity. Since you know mma, if you faced an opponent who had a hunting knife do you think you could still take him out in a fight? And we'll say the other guy was just a punk who didn't know mma other than how to throw haymakers.
edit on 16-7-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Not very constructive advice at all ...never once did i say i'm "badass" or that i expect to be round house kicking my way though the streets etc.
MMA training is something i first did as a hobby and got good at it so had some fights and to be fair i would rather know fifty ways of choking a person out than not knowing anything!

Krav Maga looks great and its effective on a street side encounter so i will continue to train in it.

I am also learning how to prep wild food and researching other peoples survival histories and how they survived when they were going it alone etc.

If you respond again to this thread could you maybe think about not coming over as someone on there high horse and so condescending? Im no expert thats why im looking for help.

Cheers

E

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by definity

These are all great ideas and i defiantly need a scanner and a gas mask...the only down side to the mask is its size! The pack i have is medium size and i dont really want a larger one if i can help it.

Where can you get wind up battery chargers? they would be great. I have a small basic Nokia phone (dual sim) which for the money is fantastic and the battery lasts ages.

E

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

MMA would be fairly useless i think when dealing with blades...my style is grappling and dirty boxing with brazilian ju jitsu mixed in.
In those situations where i would be dealing with a guy with a blade and i was weaponless i would try and run ...if i couldn't escape then id have to fight and hope for the best.

We are talking about a SHTF setting though so if i did start to fight and if i could get hold of the knife in some way then i'd make sure he couldn't attack anyone one else.

E

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Yeah i agree, getting a gun after the SHTF i think is my best bet. Also i think your right about working on hiding skills and not being seen will be a great aset.

E

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Hey I'm in the same boat as you dude, live in the UK but making sure I am prepped and ready for anything, I have my EDC bag ready at my desk just in case I need to get home to sussex from central London.

Olympics fun

Have to say u can't beat a good knife I know it's not a gun but hey, needs must, also some1 mentioned Bow's as a decent alternative, I have to agree to be honest, a decent recurve bow will do you a decent turn, I think xbows aren't illegal as such, worth checking out the Criminal justice bill.

Seems to me there are a lot more like minded folk in the UK than I 1st thought.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Yeah totally ...I have only just really opened my eyes to the way the world is heading, the UK riots were just the tip of the iceberg i think. in the next five years there will be a lot of problems and people that are not ready will have some major issues lol.

E

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wan7ed

Some good advice cheers, I agree about the weight of the pack too, I'm aiming for no more than 12kg.

E

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Mate I totally agree with ya, the Riots were the tip of the iceberg, I still reckon we will get more of the same...
but it's good to know there are some like minded folk around that you could possibly hook up with if the need arises, personally if it all kicks off and I'm in London it will take me a day of solid walking to get home maybe 2 if I was slowly hahahaha. But then I plan on bugging in and not out. my biggest fear honestly is the Sun (not the newspaper, although 40p is a liberty in itself LOL)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

hahaha yeah over priced gossip rag ...

My biggest problem with bugging in is your a standing target trying to defend a house on a street full of (for the won't of a better word strangers)....one on one battle fair enough several on one is a death sentence...bug in but don't let it be your tomb.

E

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join