It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Frankenstein' meat could get go-ahead in EU: Safety fears over the use of GM animals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

'Frankenstein' meat could get go-ahead in EU: Safety fears over the use of GM animals

www.dailymail.co.uk

The first step towards approving the use of genetically modified animals to make so-called ‘Frankenstein foods’ has been unveiled by European food watchdogs.

They have produced guidance on how to examine the risk posed to the environment by genetically modified fish, insects and animals.

Critics fear the new consultation document will ‘open the floodgates’ to the widespread farming of GM animals and crops across Europe.

Details of the plans have been revealed by the European Food Safety Au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fda.gov
www.telegraph. co.uk
www.dailymail.co.uk< br />
Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Frankenstein Foods- Health Hazard or Not
FDA Issues Final Regulations for Genetically Engineered Animals

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Some people may see this as a good or a bad thing. Personally I never thought messing with mother nature was a good idea. The EU is considering allowing GM fish and insects and perhaps even other farm animals which will eventually be for human consumption. The US FDA have also been systematically implementing relaxed guidelines over the last few years as well.

Sorry but I don't trust these mad scientists with their "bright ideas" always trying to make the world a "better place".

The article also goes on to make a very good point::

‘GM fish and insects would be impossible to recall if anything goes wrong and impacts on British wildlife and food markets could be devastating.’

These genetic hybrids would be difficult to contain and if there were some unforeseen problems to occur, it would be almost impossible to control the situation and return things back to normal.

At this rate our whole world will be fake within a couple decades.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This has been going on for years but now they are just more open about it in the hopes that they convince us that it's a good thing. I won't be one of the gullible fools falling for it, that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JosephKnecht

What worries me is the increased rate of exposure to the use of genetically modified foods and animals by the media in recent years. It's almost as if they are desensitizing us to the whole issue by bombarding us with announcements of "how safe it is" of "studies show that the risks are minimal" when in reality they really don't know what they are talking about.

Some people think this is a good thing but I don't think tinkering with Mother Nature is a good idea.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
An abomination!!!

Few people realise that the elite, those at the top, DO NOT EAT THIS STUFF.

The media present Prince charles as being a little looney and so he's left alone. But just look at what he is actualy in control of - He provides those at the top with high quality ORGANIC food. He was also invloved with those projects that stored natural seeds.

Those at the top do not eat GM foods.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
An abomination!!!

Few people realise that the elite, those at the top, DO NOT EAT THIS STUFF.

The media present Prince charles as being a little looney and so he's left alone. But just look at what he is actualy in control of - He provides those at the top with high quality ORGANIC food. He was also invloved with those projects that stored natural seeds.

Those at the top do not eat GM foods.

frankenmeat, it's what's for dinner.

no thanks i'll pass on GM foods. i mean how many people really believe science is able to perfect this before releasing it to the population and ecosystem? that;s the thing they have no way of accurately saying what will happen but if there's money involved it seems, it doesn't really matter what the consequences may be.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Wasn't there a thread recently about a herd of cows that died because the GM grass they were eating suddenly produced cyanide gas? If I remember correctly it was fine for eight years, then it started producing cyanide gas.

If it did that after eight years then no amount of testing can assure us that GM food is safe.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think genetic engineering is a great idea, BUT, I don't think with our present knowledge we should be attempting it in a way that could cross into nature, or into our foods. We have no idea how this will be digested and synthesized, and look at the reports of Monsanto frankenfoods that end up being introduced into other crops and run rampant in nature also causing the insects to adapt.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wingdflame

I can understand your point where you can see some good from genetic engineering. Perhaps it would one day allow us to cure diseases and improve the quality of life. Regrettably I'm unsure whether or not this is the path we are taking. There are obvious positive possibilities when it comes to this kind of research, but I can see a whole lot of bad as well.

I just hope we don't screw things up so bad where we can't fix it. We already have enough crap going on so the last thing we need is genetic hybrids screwing up millions of years of natural evolution.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
With an exploding population there needs to be ways of mass producing more resilient foods...or people need to be sterilized.

GMO does both.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Through the years in the US we have seen a rise in children living with ADHD, diabeties and depression. Even though studies won't go here the nutrients in food had depleted significantly just in the past 12 years. Poor nutrician brings on a host of other problems like obesity as the body needs more food to get the nutrients it needs. Thyroid problems. Multiple Sclerosis is on the rise. Chronic pain and muscle depletion causing injuries. Brain tumors are increasing as well. I know our governments insists that we are a nation of gluttons but concider how many of our school age athlets have died. Our fitness gurus haven't out run the diseases. If the US government is selling this stuff to you they have to hurry before truth is spelled out by a brave soul willing to risk his/her life to bring down the US government. We grow a lot of food and aside from weapontry it is a big income for us. Once your country accepts it you won't be able to avoid it.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend
With an exploding population there needs to be ways of mass producing more resilient foods...or people need to be sterilized.

GMO does both.

it does one thing for sure, it creates a very uncertain future for every organism on this planet, including humans.

this will go down as the worse thing mankind could have ever conceived and it may very well be our undoing.
we are so far behind on medical care, disease prevention, understanding and diagnostics it is actually bewildering, yet they want to unleash new form of bacteria, fungus and life form in general without recourse and no possible way of stopping it, how smart is that?

this is a multi edged sword of titanic proportions and they want us to allow it with no recourse. don't worry about having enough food to eat my friend, this will certainly make food shortages look like a day in the park.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What a joke, mixing species and obviously targetting what we need, to replace it with crap that our bodies don't need.

The only use for genetically modified, would do nothing to the food, but I would love to be in a real world, not earth. Many many many planets use modified foods. They don't strip the nutrition away but keep the food intact, although some breakthroughs could be done to enhance nutrition, but only in societies you trust, and of course this wouldn't be the norm and only staple and would be labeled so all had choice. Imagine being able to grow orchards and coconuts in pots and from vines, not 100 foot trees. That is a breakthrough, and hardier varieties so grown up north say. Feeding the world would be as easy as having your own off grid earthship home with its greenhouses and some land with more.

Meat in other places does not come from consciousness. The muscle groups themselves are cloned and grown in factories and organic, no bad chemicals added. No suffering of any kind is needed.

Those would be breakthroughs.

But adding insect DNA to my salmon along with radiation or rat dna ot pork is NOT.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

GMO does both.

I'm sorry, but this is not NOT true. That's a VERY untrue, bull excuse that the GMO makers and government come up with as to how to feed such a large population. First of all, over half of GM crops do NOT produce the more yields they promise to and actually produce less. The other half are just waiting for that status, because the "more yields" only last a season or two.

Right now, we have a surplus of food on the planet. We STILL have more food on this planet for all 7 billion people than we need. It is not a matter of producing MORE food, it's a matter of distribution. The countries and people that cannot afford to buy food are NOT getting any of the GMOs anyway if they can't pay for it, because the makers of these foods are in it FOR THE MONEY.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

‘GM fish and insects would be impossible to recall if anything goes wrong and impacts on British wildlife and food markets could be devastating.’

These genetic hybrids would be difficult to contain and if there were some unforeseen problems to occur, it would be almost impossible to control the situation and return things back to norm
*********************************************************************************************************************************
All this brings to mind the passage in Revelation 9:2-11 regarding the sounding of the fifth trumpet. I'll not quote it here...those of you that may be interested can find it for yourself I'm sure.
The possibilities are frightening... GM insects [probably] mating with current insects and producing some horrid hybrid.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

With 95% of soybeans, 86% of corn, and 70-75% of all processed foods in the US containing GMO ingredients, then who is to thank for that "surplus"? Why is the nation with the most GMO food also one of the most well fed and obese? A problem with proponents against GMO is that a researcher from 08, who many studies reference, came out and said that they "grossly misinterpreted" her study on purpose. Read the blue.

Notice I said "resilient". They don't require pesticides, which infect the soil and water, and are immune to viruses. That's a fact which makes them more versatile. They're also working on drought-tolerant crops. Whether it yields more is debatable as there's scientific groups advocating both yes and no. However, it's an evolving science. I imagine interstellar civilizations are eating GMO while space traveling. It would just be a much more refined form than our current GMO.

But some are missing the true intent here. GMO caused 99% sterility by the 3rd generation in animal studies. Don't forget Bill Gates supports GMO greatly and has a hand in shaping it. He hates humans and publicly said there needs to be less people - he even has a formula. That's the main agenda, not profits or feeding people (altho in the far future GMO will completely replace organic and be superior). Right now it's either GMO or WWIII. Choose your poison. Oh wait, they already chose for you.
edit on 15-7-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
GM animals are inevitable, I am not surprised, its just progress. The best we can do is try to ensure their safety and the existence of natural alternatives for those who dont want GM food.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

With 95% of soybeans, 86% of corn, and 70-75% of all processed foods in the US containing GMO ingredients, then who is to thank for that "surplus"? Why is the nation with the most GMO food also one of the most well fed and obese? A problem with proponents against GMO is that a researcher from 08, who many studies reference, came out and said that they "grossly misinterpreted" her study on purpose. Read the blue.

Notice I said "resilient". They don't require pesticides, which infect the soil and water, and are immune to viruses. That's a fact which makes them more versatile. They're also working on drought-tolerant crops. Whether it yields more is debatable as there's scientific groups advocating both yes and no. However, it's an evolving science. I imagine interstellar civilizations are eating GMO while space traveling. It would just be a much more refined form than our current GMO.

But some are missing the true intent here. GMO caused 99% sterility by the 3rd generation in animal studies. Don't forget Bill Gates supports GMO greatly and has a hand in shaping it. He hates humans and publicly said there needs to be less people - he even has a formula. That's the main agenda, not profits or feeding people (altho in the far future GMO will completely replace organic and be superior). Right now it's either GMO or WWIII. Choose your poison. Oh wait, they already chose for you.
edit on 15-7-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

That study is ONE study among many. Other studies suggest it's more like 30% less. There is bad journalism, I agree, but I base my opinion on several dozen studies I've read.

They don't require pesticides? GMO crops are DROWNED in pesticides, many of them are designed to be resistant to Roundup, so farmers use even more than they ever did. Roundup is poisoning the soil.

And PUHLEASE about the whole Bill Gates said he wants to reduce the world population. Watch the video he allegedly said that in - it was a tiny slip of the tongue in the way he phrased a sentence, nothing more. Talk about taking something out of context and running with it.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

And PUHLEASE about the whole Bill Gates said he wants to reduce the world population. Watch the video he allegedly said that in - it was a tiny slip of the tongue in the way he phrased a sentence, nothing more. Talk about taking something out of context and running with i

It was not a slip of the tongue, here let me refresh your memory.

The world today has 6.8 billion people… that’s headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.

Please tell me how that is a slip of the tongue, especially since he has said similar things on various occasions. If Bill Gates is funding it then it most likely has hidden motives.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Please tell me how that is a slip of the tongue, especially since he has said similar things on various occasions. If Bill Gates is funding it then it most likely has hidden motives.

This Bill Gates quote does not prove any sinister motives, it was debunked a million times already. Better access to reproductive services means less population growth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join