It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anybody identify f15/f22 mig hybrid?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
A month ago or so i saw what looked like like 2 F15's aproaching low from the west side of the black mountains in wales uk. The odd thing is ive never seen them befor. Allthough the body looked like an f15 the twin virticle rear wings? were angled like an f22's and the nose section looked more prominent like a mig, and they were pretty big. As they banked to the north up and over the mountain a tornado came from the south behind me and headed north in what looked liked a chase.
I live just south of the mountain and regularly have tornados, and hawks flying just meters above my house along with the odd typhoon and frequent transporter night fliers. used to see harriers alot aswel.
Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

Maybe the F35 Lightning, the Joint Strike Fighter?

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 14-7-2012 by TraitorKiller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Its hard to say without a pic, but the joint strike fighter might fit that description, wonder if they were just to drills with the tornado, to see how they match up. keep an eye out, and see if you can get a pic, since you say that you see military aircraft a lot where you live

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
If it's not in this bunch somewhere, I'll be shocked.., see if you can show the pic?

Paris Air Show Aircraft Pics - By Google

Sounds interesting and I have definitely seen MiGs taking off into the White Sands range several times outside Alamogordo, New Mexico. They could have been something along those lines.. who knows?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

If I had to put in my two cents I would say you probably saw an f-18. The front fuselage is not triangular like the f-22 and f-35, which would be more similar to a mig-29. The back rudders are also mounted off 90 degrees. The f-35 is still undergoing testing and refinement and is not in service so unlike to be that. Spain, and other European countries have the f-18 in service in their air force, so your most likely culprit

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
There are no F-35s in the UK yet, wouldn't be one of those.

There are a number of F-18E/F in the country at the moment for air show season, could be one of those. That the only current fighter with a twin canted tail.

Its also fairly large.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronNuts
reply to post by no1dea

If I had to put in my two cents I would say you probably saw an f-18. The front fuselage is not triangular like the f-22 and f-35, which would be more similar to a mig-29. The back rudders are also mounted off 90 degrees. The f-35 is still undergoing testing and refinement and is not in service so unlike to be that. Spain, and other European countries have the f-18 in service in their air force, so your most likely culprit

You beat me to it :-)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by IronNuts

The f18 looks like a f15 and op said that it definately wasn't an f15 so I guess it is probably not an f18 either, since they have the same shape cockpit.

The fact that the JSF is still in development might explain why this plane is unrecognisable to him.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronNuts
reply to post by no1dea

Thanks guys at work now but will check pics later. Deffinately not an f18 though sir. they are quite distinctive in shape, they were very close to an f15 for the main wings and square air intakes and not the jsf either!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

And you sure it had the 2 vertical tailwings? I can't think of any other jet that has those except for the f22, f35, f14, 15, 17 and 18.

Or maybe a Russian Sukhoi, they have em too, plus the square air intakes. But I wouldn't expect one over the UK.

4.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TraitorKiller
reply to post by no1dea

And you sure it had the 2 vertical tailwings? I can't think of any other jet that has those except for the f22, f35, f14, 15, 17 and 18.

Or maybe a Russian Sukhoi, they have em too, plus the square air intakes. But I wouldn't expect one over the UK.

4.bp.blogspot.com...

The op said the tails were canted like an F-22, not vertical like a F-15. That rules out the Russians, the Mig-29, Su-27 spin offs all have vertical rather than canted tails.

It also rules out all the US fighters barring the F-22 and F-35, F-18.

The F-14s (apart from the Iranian ones) have all been cut up for scrap.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Allthough the body looked like an f15 the twin virticle rear wings? were angled like an f22's

Well he did say vertical.(or at least tried to lol.)

I was making a distinction between planes that have 2 vertical rear wings as opposed to one.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Pak-Fa

The Russians have invaded..

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TraitorKiller

Hey dont mock the afflicted lol

Im crap at spelling and i dont use a checker.
And im doing this on my fone, so its a little tricky to view pics and type etc.
As i said befor, the main body (including wing shape) made me think it was f15's but the 'vertical' :p tail wings canted outward like the f22.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Defender89

Possible, underside view

4.bp.blogspot.com...

i know the look of the all the f's mentioned and seen the migs, but these screwed with me!
I didnt bother posting on the day and would guess it was about 8-10weeks ago.
First i thought they were f15s because the fusealage and wing shapes fitted, very angular, no rounded edges, but those tail wings threw me and i just had a weird fealing they might be russian or chineese variant, i am at a loss. :-

edit on 14/7/12 by no1dea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Defender89
Pak-Fa

The Russians have invaded..

This is the closest to what i saw though!
I just think those air intakes were squarer, but the rest does fit...
Does anybody else think my description matches this mig?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

It does but the only PAK-FA flying is a development mule in Russia.

The production version isn't due for years.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
reply to post by no1dea

It does but the only PAK-FA flying is a development mule in Russia.

The production version isn't due for years.

Thats cool, all i can say is that the pak fa was a closer overall match than the f15. They do have the same presance bodywise, any thing else similar to these? Not the f22.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
From memory they were all grey with no obvious visible markings allthough hard to see as the sun would have been above and slightly behind them early pm looking north west.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

The only thing that would have been in the UK that matches is the F-22.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join