It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Condoleezza Rice stands by VP comment: ‘There is no way that I will do this’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Condoleezza Rice stands by VP comment: ‘There is no way that I will do this’

The popular news aggregator the Drudge Report posted a story Thursday night claiming that Mitt Romney is considering bringing Condoleezza Rice onto the Republican ticket as his vice presidential candidate. A top aide for the former secretary of state, however, tells Yahoo News that Rice has no plans to consider such an offer.

Rice has previously said she would not consider the job. "There is no way that I will do this," Rice told CBS News in June when asked if she would agree to joining the Republican ticket. Despite Thursday's report, she's sticking to her word, says Georgia Godfrey, Rice's chief of staff.

Ouch...what a slap in the face for Romney. Usually potential VP candidates will say something like "I'd be honored, but I like what I'm currently doing" or some other BS that doesn't make them look like they are hoping for the VP bid, but also like they are honored by the prospect of it.

Not Condi...she is flat out saying, "No Thanks".

Romney is having a tough week...poor guy

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I don't know whether Condoleezza would have helped Romney anyway? She was well known as an important part to the Bush Administration, her appeal will only be restricted to those already voting for Romney. Still, love her or hate her, she is a very intelligent woman and I'd say she would have been an asset to the Romney campaign one way or the other, too bad stated she is in no way interested. Was it because of Romney or the state of the GOP right now? Who knows huh?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Yeah...she doesn't really say why...she just gives the impression like she wants to avoid it like the plague.

And yes, she is an intelligent person...so that kind of tells me she sees a disaster waiting to happen and wants nothing to do with it...but then again...she did agree to work for Bush.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I'm awfully sorry to hear this. I'd rather see Condi running for President over Romney. I sure wouldn't have minded her as a Veep. She would have been on a whole different planet than Palin, who was cute in a simple but quaint kinda way but not a White House way.

I can't blame her though. As the saying goes, Her momma didn't raise a fool. She spent the whole Bush term close enough to see and know and she knows she doesn't want that meat grinder. Hmm.. So what sucker will go into it with Mitt? This should be interesting to watch.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Actually it if she did it, it would help with independents. For Bush's first term she wasn't a very popular figure but in the second when she moved on to the State Dept. she did gain quite a bit of popularity for her efforts. Despite being part of that particular administration. She actually would be a good choice but even she sees the writing on the wall with Mitt, he can't and won't win and she understands the party has turned too far to the right to win.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Here are the full quotes, since the link provided seems to edit out some important parts. For space, I guess, all MSNBC-like.

Oh, and she did "really quite say why".

www.washingtontimes.com...

Ms. Rice said: “I didn’t run for student council president. I don’t see myself in any way in elective office.”

Ms. Rice also said, “There is no way that I will do this because it’s really not me. I know my strengths and weaknesses.” She said Mr. Romney will pick a strong running mate and she’ll support the ticket.

Ms. Rice predicted that Mr. Romney will bring “first and foremost an understanding” of the role the United States’ role in the world.”

The interview was done by CBS, by the way, and the video can be seen here:
www.cbsnews.com...

Condi is, and always will be a classy lady.

This isn't news, anyway. Here is a video of Rice from Nov. 2011 stating she had no desire to be in politics again.
Skip ahead to 2:00 if you wish, to see the question about running as VP last year. She stated the same thing then, as she does now.

Watching the video and seeing her comment and seeing the full comment quoted above gives a different light than "a slap in the face" to Romney. She has moved on with her carreer, it's as simple as that.

edit on 13-7-2012 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
and the search goes on......

Any volunteers?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Mystifying, truly mystifying.

This woman was the NSA before, during and after the 911 attacks. Why is she still relevant? Why isn't she in jail? Why is her named mentioned at all?

If being the point person during 911 isn't disqualification from all jobs, anywhere, I don't know what is. It is like hiring the guy who crashed the costa concordia to pilot Air Force One because at heart he is a good man and there are so few for the job.

What is with us? If an athlete screws up on the big play we want him dead or at least out of the league. But if a polito screws up anything, they get another job in another sector if they were high enough up on the food chain.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The claim was never legit. Just a way for drudge to dredge for pageviews, like much of their content. Just a made up rumor.

Condi stinks too much of the Iraq war, anyway to be politically appealing to todays GOP voter.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I definitely don't like her or her politics but she is at least very intelligent and seems more genuine. She would have been a much better candidate for President for the Republicans than "What's my position today?" Romney. Clearly she has some integrity too.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
he needs an al gore. a guy kinda like him, who if needed be, could be president

that's what voters want

but these dummies always try to "balance the ticket" with some gimmick pick

just pick a governor or senator already and be done with it

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Condi Rice is the brightest woman in politics but she is a part of the New American Century group that suggested that what we needed was a "new pearl harbor...." (just prior to 9-11).

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Dr. Rice voted for Obama in 2004.
She cried tears of joy when she congratulated him on his win.
She can't be Romneys VP.
The Obama administration would use her vote for him against her and Romney.

Washington Post - 2008

Meanwhile, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was interviewed yesterday on CBS Radio, where she made a long statement about how great it is to have a black president.

"May I take it," she's asked, "that you actually preferred a victory for Senator Obama rather than John McCain?"

"I have constantly told people," she said, "that I was secretary of state and I was not going to get into a partisan debate and I would vote by -- vote by ballot in a secret way, as all Americans do. But I just want to acknowledge that when the election took place and after the election took place, it was a special time for Americans."

So that's a yes?

Huffington Post - Rice Congratulates Obama Tearfully, Says She Is "Especially Proud" Of Obama's Win

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Too bad, really.

She's, to my mind, better qualified to be Pres. then any of the candidates running now. ...and that includes Rep. Paul, or any of the other independents.

I hope that someday she perhaps changes her mind about elective politics.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Condi has seen how bad things can be. Allow me to explain what happened and what she saw, after a little conspiracy-tinged background.

When Eisenhower warned of the Military Industrial Complex, Kennedy was shot, Johnson had his administration hijacked by a war that wasn't his priority and decided he didn't want the job anymore, and Nixon fell to a scandal that his own people seemed to have wanted to get caught in, it was like a hostile takeover of America. Since then, we've been getting a very different product in the same box, including plastic public-relations presidents who break the minute they get their briefing from the outgoing administration.

Exhibit A: Gerald Ford, a president who hadn't gotten a single electoral vote. He brought Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfled, et al into the White House and he tried to sabotage Bush 41 by sending him to CIA. They've been in every Republican administration since.

Bush 41 was never supposed to be VP or President. Ford was supposed to be Reagan's VP, until a surprise deal was cut on day 2 of the Republican Convention (rules have been changed since and there will never be another brokered convention). That's probably why Reagan was shot, why the Military Industrial Complex was exempted from Reagan's fiscal conservatism, and why George HW Bush was made to invade Iraq.

Fast forward to Dubya following in his father's footsteps with no understanding. He too was surrounded by Ford's men, and was destined to be used by them to an extent that would finally sabotage the Bush dynasty and put them back in their place. Bush 41 sent Condi to watch his son's back, and that did not go well.

Condi was there for the battle for Dubya's soul, she saw the factions in that cabinet playing tug-of-war with him, and she probably had the screws put to her more than a couple of times. Whatever went on, she wasn't able to keep Dubya off of Cheney's puppet strings and protect the Bush name. Instead she looked bitter and angry for several years while she finished her watch in a White House under siege. Who would go through the experience of living in a fish bowl full of rival piranha and not recoil from the idea of ever going back in.

There's another thing to consider as well. Condi was asked last time because somebody trusted her and thought she had the intelligence and character to hold up and make a difference in a very tough situation. This time out it's because somebody wants to borrow her image with the voters, and at least a part of the image they are trying to borrow is probably her race to offset a perceived advantage for Obama in that respect. It's not nearly as flattering of an invitation.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Her momma didn't raise a fool.

No, but her momma raised a criminal......who should be in jail with Bush, Cheney, et al.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Drudge could be all wet, but I would not be one bit surprised if she is the leading contender. This story is the talk of thr ttown and I cannot find a source that states Rice is denying it. People do change their minds.

www.mercurynews.com...

The Drudge Report attributed its claim to unnamed sources, but some observers found it credible because founder Matt Drudge is known to be close to Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

That's an interesting perspective. On what do you base much of it? Like the claims that Wolfowitz, cheney, et al were opposed to daddy Bush? And that condi was on his side?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Recall of various research from different posts, essays, etc over the past few years. I could look it all back up for links if need be. Might take a while. None of it is written in stone of course- you can't open up the encyclopedia and find out who is on who's side in politics- you've got to read it between the lines from who appoints who, who says what about who, conflicting memoirs, etc etc.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
reply to post by stanguilles7

Recall of various research from different posts, essays, etc over the past few years. I could look it all back up for links if need be. Might take a while. None of it is written in stone of course- you can't open up the encyclopedia and find out who is on who's side in politics- you've got to read it between the lines from who appoints who, who says what about who, conflicting memoirs, etc etc.

Yeah, I didnt expect a single wiki link or anything

I ask because it sounds like a pretty in-depth analysis that goes against some of the things ive always assumed about the Bush family. Take your time, but if you could throw some links at me at some point, i suspect it will be interesting reading.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join