It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2014 G20 decision breaks some hearts...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
As some would know, the 2014 G20 summit will be in Australia but around that, an all out fecies fight has begun regarding the decision of which city will host the leaders from around the world. The labour party announced over the past day or so that Brisbane will host the conference which has sparked outrage from NSW or to be more direct, Sydney.

NSW cabinet minister Brad Hazzard, whose government offered the Sydney Opera House to host the summit, said Ms Gillard had made a political move to reclaim support for her party in Queensland.

'She's chosen Brisbane simply to use the leaders of the world as political pawns in her game to try and win back the votes across Queensland,' he told AAP.

And from another report

Mr Newman also criticised Sydney after NSW Planning Minister Brad Hazzard suggested Prime Minister Julia Gillard picked Brisbane to try to claw back votes.

Twisting the dagger, Mr Hazzard said Sydney was Australia's only true world city and holding the summit in Brisbane was insulting to world leaders.

The QLD premier certainly didn't see it the same way.

As the NSW and Victorian governments claimed Sydney and Melbourne should have won the rights, Queensland Premier Campbell Newman rubbed salt into the wound.

'We've beaten them (NSW) seven times in a row in the State of Origin (rugby league series) and now we've secured the G20 2014 leaders meeting from our southern neighbours,' he said.

Not only have QLD and NSW come to blows, the Victorians are also not too happy about why the G20 will not be hosted in Melbourne.

Victoria's Planning Minister Matthew Guy said the G20 should be in Melbourne.

'Clearly the federal government has some issues with their electoral support in Queensland and I think they're obviously playing a ... role in satisfying that demand,' Mr Guy told reporters.

Even though I believe those people need to find better things to fight about, I agree that maybe Julia Gillard is using this opportunity to boost her support in QLD.

My opinion about the entire scenario... Sydney is nothing more than Melbourne. It seems the people who are outraged over this decision really don't have anything better to worry about and I'm glad they lost their bid. As for QLD and taking a long trip down the coast a few weeks back, I don't see nothing wrong with Brisbane. QLD is awesome and obviously so is their Rugby side.

I give a thumbs up to Brisbane and good luck to them. Melbourne and Sydney can sulk all they wan't.

www.skynews.com.au...
www.skynews.com.au...
edit on 11-7-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This is what's wrong with politicians in this country. Is there really no bigger issue facing us?

I don't see how this will change the vote of anyone. The average Joe could not give a crap about the G20 let alone be swayed to now vote for Labor.

On the flip side, I will now have the opportunity to take part in a big protest

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
i will never forget the 2007 APEC meeting held in sydney. i saw one of the most amazing things i will ever see.

a small two seater plane flew into restricted air space. two jet fighters chased it into the outskirts of sydney over warragamba dam. right above my house is where they intercepted it. i had heard this noise like no other and went running outside along with my family. all the neighbours had also come running out. the first fighter went in front of the small plane and was vertical to the ground and the second fighter rolled on its side beside the small plane and showed the pilot its missiles. we all started yelling at each other omg omg...we all thought they were going to shoot it down. they were so low it was like you could almost see them touching the tree tops. to see the first plane come from nowhere and virtually pull up mid air and hang there in front of the small plane was the most incredible thing i have ever see.

i think from memory the small plane was a elderly doctor flying to bankstown and did not have his radio on when they first tried to contact him. he was unaware that it was restricted airspace.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Looks like 2014 is going to be a money grab for me then

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

I was up in Townsville a few weeks back and if they are the same jets, I know what you mean.Of course there is an army base up there and the jets can be heard on a daily basis, sometimes close. Not only that, you can hear them bombing rattlesnake Island (I think thats the name) in the distance.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Brisbane is considerably smaller, isn't it?

Given the protests that follow G-20 meetings, having it in a smaller and more easily secured city is probably a priority.

I live in Pittsburgh and when we had it here, I'll say it was nothing but a nightmare's worth of security forces. The only ones here who ended up happy were the police who got enough toys to fight their own war.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cassandranova

I'm pretty sure brisbane would have a population of 400,000, maybe more. I say good luck to them. I would rather have the security 3000km away than on my doorstep.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

I think you'll find Brisbane has a population of around 2 million, and people shouldn't worry about the "security forces" as it's mostly privatised ad comprised of guards that don't really care about what they are doing

And as for protestors, well, Australia as a whole is a fairly lame horse in that department, and if they pla the event to take place when a sports match is played I'm sure they won't have many issues.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AlanQaida

2 Million? Whats there problem then

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Why does this matter? Dont a majority of people on this site think the world is gonna end in Dec. or the NWO is gonna throw us all in Fema Camps?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dyzan

I don't think the majority believe in ancient fairytales... And when it comes to Fema camps, I'd like to see them try. I have a few friends in the military down here and they would certainly not let this happen to our civilians.

top topics

join