It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon asks U.S. Government for permission to edit the Internet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Not so much a legend.

Sorry, but I'm still not seeing the parts about...

- invented by a "young girl"
- the "paving union" taking the matter to court
- having the "product banned"
- the ban being because it would "cost many jobs"

(basically all the elements of the story)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
we need to get router type boxes, signal boxes that simply connect to the satellites and get internet nonstop for everyone free. That is how it should be and I hope we get those boxes out there or modded ones, soon, I've had enough of their low brained minds thinking they own anything. All things belong to the people equally. And yes, I really mean that, anything else is slavery.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The OP isn't the only story involving Verizon today. Check this one out.More Than a Million Police Requests for Cellphone Customer Data in 2011

AT&T and Verizon Wireless reported 261,000 and 260,000 requests respectively in 2011, with each company saying that approximately half of received requests involved criminal subpoenas.
That's kind of interesting. So there were approximately 130,000 instances where authorities attempted to attain records bypassing correct legal channels for each of these communication entities alone. Maybe I misunderstood that passage, correct me if I'm wrong. Remarkable growth

AT&T’s number of requests also grew sharply over the past five years, with the number of subpoenas doubling from 63,100 in 2007 to 131,400 in 2011, and the number of “exigent requests” for emergency responders nearly tripling, from 23,200 to 65,500. The rate of growth far outpaced the growth of AT&T’s subscriber base, which the company’s letter said went from 70 million in 2007 to 103 million in 2012.
Sounds like an expanding practice by law enforcement to me. Slowly cooking those frogs.Exigent: requiring immediate aid or action. Figured I'd throw that in there since I had to look up the term myself.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Im on a verizon cell connection right now. Guess i need to switch providers now.

I quit Verizon when they downloaded my personal data without permission. Don't know the who or the why -- only that they violated my privacy and lost the contract. Damn shame they are flush with lawyers.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
1. This can be done for new customers only. The cannot go back and retroactively change the agreement of a free internet the current users signed up for. The new customers might agree, the old will leave quickly and the entire, expensive network will need to be loaned out to others.

2. They are not content providers now. Were they to get a ruling stating they can filter, they become content providers.

3. By becoming content providers, they become gatekeepers, sellers, of all things. They will be able to charge a penny for each access to each site. That's the reason for the effort.

4. Could also be the government asked them to run it up the courts and see what happens. Since the government can't censor, maybe they are looking for a way around that by finding corporations who will, corporations who will "loose their license" if they don't censor as a licensing requirement - effectively creating censorship.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
1. This can be done for new customers only. The cannot go back and retroactively change the agreement of a free internet the current users signed up for. The new customers might agree, the old will leave quickly and the entire, expensive network will need to be loaned out to others.
censorship.
I could easily see this practice being used in the future to gain legal authority. It's the beauty of fine print. Something people may want to look out for in the future. I'm actually surprised they haven't attempted to implement something like this already when I think about it.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
from one of the post I seen on the first page....I suppose in the future our isps will look like this?

FOX Isp
MSNBC Isp
CNN Isp
RT Isp

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by GD21D
I love the play on words. If you're an average idiot you would more than likely find the argument plausible, and somewhat justifiable. I just hope there aren't that many average idiots out there. Ahhh, who am I kidding. There are a bunch of average idiots out there. Sigh.
lol. Best. Post. Ever. Here's a guy who gets it folks. The world is made up of average idiots. That's why public opinion is so easy to manipulate... all you need to do is work out how to fool an idiot and you can fool the majority. It really is that simple. If the masses were smarter we'd be 100% better off right now. We can't blame anyone else for our problems because our own stupidity has led us here. The only reason the internet has remained open and neutral this long is because the people who build and operate the internet are not idiots. But that wont stop the idiots from eventually violating the neutrality of the internet once they are convinced we all need to be monitored for our own safety.
edit on 12/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
but then verizon could block chidren from seeing naughty words and inappropriate websites

think of the children!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
How about some more Verizon news.

The Justice Department is holding up approval of Verizon Wireless’ $3.9 billion bid for spectrum from cable firms because of concerns that a cross-marketing deal attached to the deal will thwart competition for landline Internet service, according to people familiar with the review. Justice’s concern is that Verizon’s agreement to jointly market wireless and landline Internet services with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Bright House and Cox could lead to the deterioration of Verizon Communicatin’s FiOs Internet service, which competes with cable offerings.
DOJ holds up Verizon-cable deal on competition concerns Is it any coincidence that all of this is happening in the same time frame? I highly doubt it. Who knows? Maybe they are just meandering through these ideals with no set plan in place.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Change phone companies? really?
thats a joke,.. what,,, another monster phone company wont have ties with the government?

EVERYTHING you would do besides leave the grid and everything that is tied with society, is connected
to edit and observation..
edit on 15-7-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
If Verizon's refusing to do the job you're paying them for, bin them. It's a free market.

Oh, and if worst comes to worst, have a search for the Calyx Institute. They're in the process of setting up a surveillance-proof ISP.
edit on 11-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

Unfortunately, this is not always possible. There are lots of places throughout the US where there is only one company providing internet service in the area. In my area, it is only 2 companies, Verizon, and BrightHouse. Both are horrible with customer service and general service reliability & quality. The difference being Verizon costs us a substantial amount less for the bare minimum service. If, on the off-chance, this came to fruition, we would still have the lone competitor company to go through, only it would cost us a lot more for service. Many either do not have that luxury (if you want to call it one) And many more would not be able to afford the difference in cost.

And thank you for the nod to Calyx Institute. I have never heard of it, I'll be looking into that one!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join