It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-US commander McChrystal calls for reviving draft - What Would You Do If The Draft Was Reinstated?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Via RawStory.com

Ex-US commander McChrystal calls for reviving draft

WASHINGTON — The former US commander in Afghanistan, Stanley McChrystal, has urged that the draft be reinstated to spread the burden of fighting and to instill a sense of shared civic duty among young Americans.

The country’s all-volunteer force has performed with great skill but after more than a decade of war “we’re running very, very hard and at a certain point you can’t expect it to go forever,” McChrystal said at a conference last month.

Apart from the strain on troops and their families after repeated deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, only a small fraction of the population was affected by the conflicts, the general said.

And this from NYTimes - Opinion Piece

A Proposal to Bring Back the Draft

I am a Vietnam veteran who served as an officer in the Navy from 1968 to 1973, during the period of national upheaval caused by our drawn-out foreign engagement. By contrast, consider the relative passivity of the nation during the past decade of our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I believe that this is directly related to the lack of a draft.

Mr. Ricks agrees with Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal that a draft might make Americans think more carefully before going to war.

That’s exactly right. It might also make Americans more vocal in their opposition to having mistakenly gone to war.

These two pieces got me thinking... what would happen if the draft was reinstated?!

There have been discussions over the past couple years, including here on ATS regarding the draft,
ATS (from 2008) www.abovetopsecret.com...

SO, Specifically, ATS Americans, and everyone else, what are your thoughts on a potential re-instatement of the draft? Im not saying it will happen just because it has been proposed by McChrystal, but I am curious about what you guys think about it?
I am torn about it... I don't think forcing people into uniform is right, as it takes away years from their lives that they may wish to do something else instead, AND the fact that you are under obligation to potentially go to war if the admin decides that...
BUT, on the other hand, and as the NYtimes peice above states, it may force issues and make people wake up to realities in the world today! If there was a draft, you could be sure that Americans would pay a lot more attention to how America enters wars, how they sell it to the public...

Guaranteed, there would be massive public outcry and protests if the draft were re-instated!

So, IF, you got a draft notice in the mail, would you be a 'Dodger'? Would you sneak up here to Canada or some other counrty to get out of it? Would you be happy to serve your Country regardless of other plans you may have had?
If you have kids and you are past the age of military service, would you be proud to have them get a notice, or absolutely pissed?!

I am really curious to hear what people have to say!

Thoughts?!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If they bring the draft back, I gonna be one missing person

2nd

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
About god damn time...I only say that because they wouldn't have a need for my old ass, lol. At least I hope not...# I'm 33 yo. I've been saying this for quite some time though...we need to start enlisting prisoners. We have an overload in our prison system so one way to alleviate this issue it to make those who have 5 or more years in prison to do their sentence for the US gov't. Obviously certain stipulations need to be placed like murderers would still need to rot in jail. Not only can they assist their country but we can in turn have a valid attempt at rebuilding their lives.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

As a veteran myself, I am torn also. On the one hand, I think that when more than just patriotic families have to share the sacrifice, a lot of things will be different. However on the other hand, our military is only as good as it is because we are all their of our own free will.

Besides, making people fight and possibly die, for your political cause is.....well the thought just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If we are at a point where we need to draft young Americans to fight a war, it better not be in sombody elses country, it should be done only for the sake of defense of the American mainland/ and or territorries. Not so some rich guys ca force a more accomodating negotiating position

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

What Would You Do If The Draft Was Reinstated

My husband and I both served our time already. And we are both too old to be recalled.
Our daughter wouldn't pass the miltiary physical. She has expressed a desire to go in
but there is no way she could.

That being said, a 'draft' could have both positive and negative effects.

Negative ... more power to those who seem to think that war is just a chess game.
So they'll be bolder and more liberal with our troops.

Positive ... there are a whole lotta spoiled and uselss young adults in this country
who suck off entitlements and/or are into crime. Miltiary life could straighten a lot
of them up and give them an education and a skill for after service.

That being said, this country can't afford a draft. So I highly doubt it'll happen.
Too much is being spent on entitlements and now Obamacare etc etc.
No money = no draft.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
About god damn time...I only say that because they wouldn't have a need for my old ass, lol. At least I hope not...# I'm 33 yo. I've been saying this for quite some time though...we need to start enlisting prisoners. We have an overload in our prison system so one way to alleviate this issue it to make those who have 5 or more years in prison to do their sentence for the US gov't. Obviously certain stipulations need to be placed like murderers would still need to rot in jail. Not only can they assist their country but we can in turn have a valid attempt at rebuilding their lives.

Interesting Idea... I'm sure many of them would jump at the chance to reduce their sentence by enlisting, and the discipline may be a good way of turning their lives around and givng them a purpose ?? Hmmmm

Ps, checking around, your 'old ass' may still be wanted if they do draft! I'm not sure what the age range would be, but if it follows the range for enlistment.... well....

Source

Question: What is the maximum age to enlist in the Military?
Answer: The maximum age of non-prior service enlistment, under federal law used to be age 35. In 2006 the Army tried to convinced Congress to change this to age 44. Congress thought age 44 was too high, but raised the maximum enlistment age, under law, from 35 to age 42.
Regardless of federal law, the military services are allowed to impose more strict standards -- and many of them have. The maximum age for non-prior service enlistments for each of the services are:

•Active duty Army - 42
•Army Reserves - 42
•Army Natinal Guard - 42
•Active duty Air Force - 27
•Air Force Reserve - 34
•Air National guard - 34
•Active duty Navy - 34
•Navy Reserves - 39
•Active duty Marines - 28
•Marine Corps Reserves - 29
•Active duty Coast Guard - 27
•Coast Guard Reserves - 27

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

Actually you are eligible for the draft. The cut off age is 42. Since I have three kids who are draft age I and them would immediately leave the country never to return. The sick and evil US government will NOT get my children as cannon fodder. The only war my kids will fight in will be the second (or third) revolutionary war. We will gladly fight to restore our freedom and destroy the elite. But there is nothing on Earth that allow me to let them fight for this evil, backward nation. It is not worth fighting for.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Ookie because: corrected misspelling

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

We have an overload in our prison system so one way to alleviate this issue it to make those who have 5 or more years in prison to do their sentence for the US gov't. Not only can they assist their country but we can in turn have a valid attempt at rebuilding their lives.

On one hand, I think your idea is a good one. On the other, even if murderers were exempt, I am not sure how trustworthy anyone in prison would be. Sure, there may be a few who see it as an opportunity, but there are others that I think I wouldn't want on the loose (even if their crime is not murder). Convicted criminals are not the kind of people I would want serving side by side with my loved ones.

In regard to the original post, I'm not sure the draft would function as it did previously. In my opinion, Americans do not have the level of patriotism that they once had, so I think having the draft again would be certain to enlist a lot of people who just don't give a crap. I think it would be poor for the military as a whole.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Well, if it is for full blown war, and anything like are last and current wars, I will stand my ground and they can kill me on my own soil. I'm not going off to die in a foreign land for bull#. I can do that here thank you very much.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

How about we stop fighting other peoples battles? Stop the war machine, not feed it with our young. There is no need for a draft. We can fix the problems in our own country if we stop pissing away money and lives on other nations.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Prisoners ...... Not only can they assist their country but we can in turn have a valid attempt at rebuilding their lives.

So .... prisoners can "assist" the criminal trash in Washington kidnapping, torturing, murdering and looting people in foreign lands? And this is supposed to rehabilitate them?

How about a better idea?

I propose this gangster government quit trafficking guns, narcotics and nuclear materials, quit overthrowing governments and murdering their citizens and quit putting our citizens in jail for victimless "crimes". The result would be far less prisoners here and far less troops necessary in the military.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Great instead of just saying that the government is full of criminals, it can actually be full of convicted criminals.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I can't be drafted because I'm a veteran.

Best of luck to the rest of you!

It's good for you...it will put hair on your chest!

edit on 11-7-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta
Thoughts?!

It takes minimum 6 months to get a soldier in and processed through basic. It takes another 18 months for the most basic specialized training. That is two years. Today’s military is not what it used to be. It is no longer a matter of giving them some greens and a rifle and a pat on the back. The modern military is highly technical. And highly socialized. Lots of training is required.

OK, let’s say you overcome that. The US currently outspends the rest of the entire world for military purposes. About $700,000,000,000. Now they want a draft? You have to pay to feed, cloth, train, pay salaries, provide housing, provide medical care and a whole range of other support services. The US is already in uncharted territory with $16,000,000,000,000 in debt and 1.5 trillion more each year at current rates. And they want even more? I have news for you, the Army has been planning for 40% cuts after 2012 for years. Draft is stupid and is not going to happen.

edit on 11-7-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

L
L

so this butcher wants to spread the misery
in order to promote "understanding" of those who kill in the name of the state
and the hyper-consumerist lifestyle: nearly 5% of the worlds pop. consuming
[or rather wasting, that is, taking a bite and throwing away the rest of] over 33% of the worlds resources.

this at the expense of other human beings lives

note that an above poster approves of spreading the sacrifice
in other words he [or she] is fine with sacrificing human beings for their own personal comfort
a triumph for those good old slaveholder values indeed

mcchrystalfor those who don't remember is a high ranking paid killer
who tried to cover up pat tillmans suspicious death by "friendly fire"
apparently thinking tillmans family and friends could be bought with a medal, perhaps

now that he's retired he wants to raise the value of his stock option/payoff
for being a good little killer for mammon-murder inc, a subsidiary of octopus enterprises,
as usual through human sacrifice.

As head of what Newsweek termed "the most secretive force in the U.S. military", McChrystal maintained a very low profile until June 2006, when his forces were responsible for the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq.[17] After McChrystal's team successfully located Zarqawi and called in the airstrike that killed him, McChrystal accompanied his men to the bombed-out hut near Baqubah to personally identify the body.[20]

McChrystal's Zarqawi unit, Task Force 6-26, became well known for its interrogation methods, particularly at Camp Nama, where it was accused of abusing detainees. After the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse scandal became public in April 2004, 34 members of the task force were disciplined.[7][21][22]

McChrystal was also criticized for his role in the aftermath of the 2004 death by friendly fire of Ranger and former professional football player Pat Tillman. Within a day of Tillman's death, McChrystal was notified that Tillman was a victim of friendly fire. Shortly thereafter, McChrystal was put in charge of paperwork to award Tillman a posthumous Silver Star for valor. On April 28, 2004, six days after Tillman's death, McChrystal approved a final draft of the Silver Star recommendation and submitted it to the acting Secretary of the Army, even though the medal recommendation deliberately omitted any mention of friendly fire, included the phrase "in the line of devastating enemy fire", and was accompanied by fabricated witness statements. On April 29, McChrystal sent an urgent memo warning White House speechwriters not to quote the medal recommendation in any statements they wrote for President Bush because it "might cause public embarrassment if the circumstances of Corporal Tillman's death become public." McChrystal was one of the first to caution restraint in public statements, until the investigation was complete.[23] McChrystal was one of eight officers recommended for discipline by a subsequent Pentagon investigation but the Army declined to take action against him.[7][24][25][26]
from his highly sanitized bio at wiki en.wikipedia.org...

he should be treated like a mad dog IMO
and taken behind a shed
preferably in iraq or afghanistan if there is any justice in this world

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Unless it was a direct threat an enemy troops were on your soil a draft would never work on people today. No matter the lies an how they spin it. A war on a foreign land is not a war for the invaders only the invaded

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
While I am at it I will add that this stupid General McChrystal is using wars that America had no business being involved in as justification to throw good money after bad. McChrystal is the traitor and liar who covered up the murder of Pat Tilman.

link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter

Prisoners ...... Not only can they assist their country but we can in turn have a valid attempt at rebuilding their lives.

So .... prisoners can "assist" the criminal trash in Washington kidnapping, torturing, murdering and looting people in foreign lands? And this is supposed to rehabilitate them?

How about a better idea?

I propose this gangster government quit trafficking guns, narcotics and nuclear materials, quit overthrowing governments and murdering their citizens and quit putting our citizens in jail for victimless "crimes". The result would be far less prisoners here and far less troops necessary in the military.

Well said,
So,
What would you do if the draft was reinstated and you got a draft notice in the mail tomorrow?!

link   

Originally posted by indisputable
Unless it was a direct threat an enemy troops were on your soil a draft would never work on people today. No matter the lies an how they spin it. A war on a foreign land is not a war for the invaders only the invaded

Is Vietnam a state in the US?

Why would it be any different today?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

Originally posted by jcarpenter

How about a better idea?

Well said,
So,
What would you do if the draft was reinstated and you got a draft notice in the mail tomorrow?!

I did my tours. I will not be contributing to any more of Washington's crimes and war crimes.

If I had no military experience, I would leave the country rather than serve this mafia running our country (into the ground).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join