It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-US commander McChrystal calls for reviving draft - What Would You Do If The Draft Was Reinstated?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Man if that happens you'd be under fire already.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
People seem to not also understand that when you are drafted you are owned by the government and they can do anything they want with you. My father was drafted in the Marines and did his time honorably in Vietnam. However, he was one like many others at the time that was forced and enslaved by the U.S. Government to serve longer than required by law. When he refused to sign the contract for longer(then required by law) they gave him drugs and sleep deprived him for days. Some may think that our Government or Military would never do something like this, but I'm here to tell you they did, and were doing stuff like this to young men when drafting them into an unpopular war.

I say just as my father did. I think if a draft were ever to be reinstated. "They should start first with all the Chicken Hawk Politicians that set around and polished a chair with their butt and got out of serving in Vietnam.

Too old you say? No! They can easily clear land minds and IED's just as easily as many young Men have been doing for this country..."

by the way. My first post on ATS although I've been visiting this site over the last year. Greetings all.

edit on 12-7-2012 by dieglocke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I could care less if they bring it back because I'm in no shape to fight.

I do worry about younger generations, especially since they appear to be so hopeless at this point. Of course, that's only what we see on the surface and there has to be hope regardless.

I'm for ending ALL wars.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

American people are not worthy of the youth being in harms way. I am a 1970 - 76 Vet. I did not protect Americans but they sure let me down upon discharge and so did my very sick Uncle Sam, This is why the Viet Nam Vets Against the War was started. Because the government and the people turned their backs on us. Don't understand, then I challenge you to go to the VA hospital of your choice and spend 8 hours there. Talk to the Vets and ask yourself if what I say is not true. Now do you want your son or daughter like this? Now that you have down this go to your local news paper or library and go through the historic newspapers between 1975 - 1980 and see all the story's of Vets who could not get jobs, and the Vets that flipped out due to pressures and PTSD. Is this how you want your son or daughter?

I left America to protect my children. Yep I miss my people my culture but most of the ppl I know say hey Ice things have changed in 28 years and not for the good. Where we live my children are not draft-able but if that changes I will move them so they don't loose "who they are now" I don't want them to be angry after 30+ years of giving like I did and paying the rest of my life for it and when I went for my Congress protected job that the Safeway Mgr said we do not need a ticking time bomb here (referring to the much in the news at the time of delayed stress syndrome which was what it was called then. The Retail Clerks did not back me to this illegal act. My story IS NOT UNIQUE!

We should not have been in VN which the reasons were as valid as our war in Iraq. No WMD - no reason for killing and having our children come home in a box or missing limbs with the ppl after the war complain about taxes for the government to pull VA money and leaving the Vets to fend for themselves. Read the papers as I outlined above about budget cuts for the VA n then the closing of hospitals....

You might go by and check out your local Iraq Vets Against the War and talk to the Vets there and ask them if they considered their service was worthwhile.

I don't honestly know if there has been any real reason outside of stealing resources from other countries since the Korea War for a reason to go to war.. Now for the final problem to be solved. Count the years of no war since Korea. Count the years of war with no reason since the Korean War, now look at the differences. Now look at those awful stats of our returning soldiers, the wounded and disabled, how can this be justified when America has not been attacked. I honestly believe 911 was an inside job but putting that aside I have of yet see one honest reason for Iraq or Afghanistan. Until I see proof of anything I only see reasons for protecting your children. I have!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Although not an American, if I were I think I would runaway to Canada, or just sulked into the local recruitment office and do as I am told. Either/or.
edit on 12-7-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Something to keep in mind when your ready for reality...

IMO?

- If you're under the misguided impression living in another country - or - 'defecting' to another country (when, not IF this is implemented) will 'save you'? You're wrong. It's serve or off to 'camp' for you.

- If you're (also) under the false impression living in another country will 'save you'? Think again. It'll just be that much easier to hunt you down - and make you SERVE.

- If you're (also) of the delusional persuasion your age, family statues or deficient 'medical status' will 'save you'? Think again. Even those 'shot in the foot' can serve at a desk. As can mothers. As can...anyone who's 'called'.

- Yeah, for those under the misguided impression this 'reenactment of the draft' has been resurrected from the rumors or war? Go screw your freakin' head on straight.

THIS IS ABOUT CONTROL! COMPLETE AND UTTER CONTROL OF EVERYONE LIVING IN THE USA AND ALL WHO CALL HER HOME...

peace

edit on 12-7-2012 by silo13 because: spell checker

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Too true. So they wouldn't need to draft me, I'd already be there.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
i doubt this would happen. We have a volunteer army so we dont need a draft. If this was ever tried i think it would meet stiff opposition and protest in the street. As for me, they wouldn't accept me: im 38, bad knees, bad back and a convicted felon. If they ever chose me, there would be some serious stuff going on and may the gods help us all.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
"WASHINGTON — The former US commander in Afghanistan, Stanley McChrystal, has urged that the draft be reinstated to spread the burden of fighting and to instill a sense of shared civic duty among young Americans."

----

spreading the burden..instilling a sence of shared civic duty...

is "collectivism", and sounds like the social policy Obama was going for at the beginning of his tenure.. or Uk Prime Minster David Camerons' Big Society vision - changing social values etc ?

Obama also talked about the need to give ordinary people "a stake in creating the NWO we'd all like to see" in one of his speeches..and how "Americans will be required to do more not less in this new century" etc

---

(Anyway, no need to go into a NWO rant here about wars that are not meant to be won etc. but merely continued .. former US President Dwight D. Eisenhower warning in 1961 of the Military Inustrial Complex controlled by a melovenent elite etc etc.. but....
)

It's interesting to note that since the beginning of the United Nations 65 years ago, the world has witnessed MORE WARS combined...than in the previous 2000 years of history. Perhaps not the right time to enlist into their NWO vision methinks.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I would serve and try to do so with honor.....call me old fashioned, but I think that sort of thing should not have been abused and then removed because of said abuse...

it builds character and gives people not sure what their next step is in life important skills they could use anyways..

It would also end the misconceptions people have about the military, and give them all a little bit of peace knowing what it is really like..

Also I imagine that having the actual population reflected in the armed forces would bring the level of dumbass-ness down to civilian levels.....too many hot heads that consider it a subculture to be a civilian....

BRING IT BACK....and don't ABUSE IT FOR PROFIT.....that way your country wont suck so much or resent the fact that you made them into cash cows alternatively....

then we all have valid reason to choose what to do with our arsenal....we would make it to command and not have a few select military families carry the burden....and the liability...on their shoulders..

EDIT:
I would go so far as to have one year required service.....for all citizens....no matter what..
You can't fight, then can you think? then sat com or whatever....We are all useful. The military can be a means of improving our education and returning the balance of power back to the people, and similarly give our leaders less to "bitch" about us....

I advocate this all the time....1 year mandatory service with exceptions only in what role to serve in.

also....imagine leaders that actually KNEW the real price of war.....they wouldn't throw fighting words around all the time since their own children and even they themselves would pay the price alongside us....no service...no political career...no sending our kids to die for profit....their kids would be sacrificing alongside ours...even they themselves..

I would love to see a president stay for a long haul on the front line for a war he plans and decides on....bring back the warrior leader that only used war to defend his people and not as a tool to achieve political and economic success.

It would fix allot more problems we have than most people think.

Eisenhower:
"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity"

edit on 6-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

Here's the thing that people just don't seem to get, but the government is saying that by living FREELY in the United States (No one forces anyone to stay here) and enjoying the lifestyles the United States has to offer that in exchange if they call you to war you will go. That's the deal. No one is forcing you to like it, and no one is forcing you to stay in the United States.

Here is a hint for you, indentured serfdom has long passed, although it does seem some elitists are trying to bring it back. I get sick of hearing people say if they don't like the country they were born in they can "leave" Why should they leave? They are born there, it is their country as much as anyone else's, doesn't give some rich twat with political connections the right to say people must die for their corporate interests.

If a country is under attack, being invaded, then yes most people are patriotic enough to fight, to bear arms and risk their lives to defend what they love and cherish, however that is not the reality of war, certainly not the reality of the conflicts that America is involved in, wars that are being fought to control resources and land. And if you think people should meekly say yes to send themselves or their children off to make some oil barons richer, then you are a deluded at best and have lost all grasp or reality. People would not be drafted to defend their homes, their country or their way of life, they would be drafted to be cannon fodder and to butcher and murder people on foreign soils to the betterment of the corporations.

The only possible good thing about a draft would be the outcry by ordinary citizens who would find it the final straw, thse people who ignore the current situation, bury their heads and sing la la la would finally have to sit up and take note, steal their money with taxes they whine, bomb the crap out of other countries, they will turn over and watch x got talent, murder their kids and they will wake right up

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Over where I live in the Uk, we also get the continual calling for the draft/National Service that it's claimed will solve many of societys problems and instill some discipline into some unruly youth etc...

We're also flooded with the usual military propaganda here.

ie... I think these constant calls for mandatory enlistment aren't just a US thing but global, and are POLITICALLY DRIVEN. Also these calls are to do with having a positive mental image of "the military" fixed in the consciousness of the populous at large, and for people to accept the steady militarisation of their society in general.

I think you have the US has this same idea also now.. what with Obama signing the the National Defense Authorization Act (NDDAA), the increased militarisation of the US police, the TSA, and calls for everyone to contribute to "society" etc. (in these austere times we miracoulously find ourselves in..
)

I can remember also Obama called for this -- youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2yGzHfy7s -- so IMO this is more .

Personally, I think that far from protecting America, this sort of thing is one the greatest threats to the true freedom and liberty enjoyed by ordinary Americans. It's effectively employing the citizenry as part of the state apparatus.. and the state apparatus mindset. But loyalty to the state, is not necessarily loyalty to the US Constitution. ie. History shows that many a state who employed this policy.. later went on to become fascist, spying on and brutalising their own citizens sadly. I hope this doesn't happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join