It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have you learned after joining ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'm just throwing this out there for everyone to share their experience after joining ATS. I learned a great deal about many subjects in general and in some cases in-depths. I also learned a lot about people from various facets of life both from US and outside. In addition to questioning the MSM and our internet sources, I have also learned to view the issues and topics from multiple angles before even beginning to address with a knee jerk reaction both on and off ATS.

This thread is just a general thread to share your experiences and knowledge after joining ATS recently or if you're a long time member.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have learned to question my deeply held beliefs. I have gone back and re-examined every thing I thought I was sure of. My underlying belief system hasent changed, however the branches of knowledge that grow from it have. One thing I learned early in life was that History is always written by the victors. This site has given me more access to different points of view from the traditional "mass" knowledge. Which I was always prone to question.

Its interesting that the universe is designed around fractals, this is even what gave birth to the advanced CGI of today. One thing that I have learned here is that "thought" is also bound to the fractal nature of our universe. One branch of knowledge leads to another in a never ending upward cascade.

Thx to the OP for giving me a chance to voice this and thx to all ATS members and staff for making it a place I can call home.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Only that no matter what the truth is, there will always be people who will believe what they want to believe, regardless of the subject and any evidence to show them they're wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I've learned that, if you spend too much time on Conspiracies.... your whole life becomes one big conspiracy... and thats no way to live...

Which is why i spend more time Below top secret rather then above...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Phage possibly knows a little bit about

every subject known to man..

Ive spent days following up

on some of his explanations..

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by coven83

Yep. I felt the same way upto certain extent. It is amazing a lot of my personal opinions have changed over the last few years after having joined ATS. Majority of them were due to the details and opinions and ofcourse a credible 'source' of information

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I have learned that 99% of the things I thought were ET ufos' were not.
I have learned who the charlatans are.
I have learned to eat my humble pie with gratitude, and check my ego for butt-hurtedness.

I have learned that there are some very cool, funny and sharp members here.
I have learned that there is a lot of fluff and hype within many conspiracy theories.
I have learned to appreciate good moderatorship..kudos

I have learned to admire our planet and her creatures more.
I have learned things about other countries, and their citizen's perspectives.
I have learned to discuss things while keeping my emotion in check, a very productive way to learn, who knew?

I have learned of some great artists, of all mediums.
I have learned to get my news here first.

Peace ATS, much love!
spec

ETA: One little revolutionary(for me)gem of info I remember learning here was from a vid uploaded by Schrodingers Dog, Five Monkeys.

edit on 9-7-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

True. However ATS has other topics too and not just conspiracy theory related ones. At the same time, one cannot be skeptic forever since there is no end to skepticism. There is a fine line

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by hp1229

I have learned that 99% of the things I thought were ET ufos' were not.
I have learned who the charlatans are.
I have learned to eat my humble pie with gratitude, and check my ego for butt-hurtedness.

I have learned that there are some very cool, funny and sharp members here.
I have learned that there is a lot of fluff and hype within many conspiracy theories.
I have learned to appreciate good moderatorship..kudos

I have learned to admire our planet and her creatures more.
I have learned things about other countries, and their citizen's perspectives.
I have learned to discuss things while keeping my emotion in check, a very productive way to lear, who knew?

I have learned of some great artists, of all mediums.
I have learned to get my news here first.

Peace ATS, much love!
spec

Everyhing he said

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I've learnt a lot about the American political system and media. I have learnt about ideologies I never knew existed. I have learned not to be so entrenched in my own political ideologies. I have learnt that the best way of communicating on ATS is to be as civil as humanly possible. Not easy on here I'll admit.
edit on 9-7-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Only that no matter what the truth is, there will always be people who will believe what they want to believe, regardless of the subject and any evidence to show them they're wrong.

That is all you have taken from your experience here at "ATS"?.. Yeah I will admit that there is a lot of people who believe completely ridiculous things... But I feel bad for you if that is all you have taken from "ATS"..

Maybe your just hanging around the wrong threads..

In all honesty I have learned a lot from "ATS".. Yeah sure I like to add humor (often dry humor) To most of my posts, But if nothing else this site gives me a outlet.. And a place to communicate some of my ideas and theory's, That quite frankly if I was to talk to my everyday co workers and family about.. I would be called a "Nut"..

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I realized there's more to spare time than masturbation

(Sarcasm...)

Jokes aside I'v learnt allot, the contributors to ATS inspired me to read more and learn about our true history. I found this site because I was Googling to see if anybody else witnessed the same UFO sighting I seen the day before, but to no avail.. Through finding this site it sparked the interest to become aware of what I'm looking at in the sky like satellites, comets and planets so thanks for that little nudge ATS

edit on 9-7-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
I realized there's more to spare time than masturbation

That would have come with time and age anyhow.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
"Pics or it didn't happen"

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Everyhing he said

Everything he said ^^
edit on 9/7/12 by PadawanGandalf because: (no reason given)

... Lame ass one liners...
edit on 9/7/12 by PadawanGandalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If feel very connected with a lot of people here...I'm not the only slightly warped person.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
That people are full of ignorance no matter if they try to deny it or not.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Know when to...
1.Laugh at yourself
2.Roll with the punches
3.Never back down when you know you're right
4.Tease them and not please them
5.When to back off and recoup
6.Never let them make you cry,get angry or quit

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I'm an old hat at conspiracy theories and other stuff on the forums. over the last ten years that I've been reading about them the same things have been repeated year after year over and over again without anything really new about them.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I've learned that.....

1. The web developers that work on this site don't know what the hell they are doing, and refuse to move beyond web standards of the previous decade.

2 . The mods are biased, and typically unfair.

3. Skeptic Overloard is (ironically) an ignorant redneck.

4. That you can pour your heart and soul into authoring content for ATS, only to have it swept under a rug... and then someone will half-ass the same content, only for it to sit on the front page for a few days.

5. That people are absolutely retarded in general. The ignorant flock to this site in droves, refuse to educate themselves, and flame those who try to otherwise deny their ignorance through educating them with relevant sources and facts.

6. That Advertisers are more important than the User.

7. That contributors in the fight to deny ignorance such as Phage and Chadwickus are under appreciated and usually met with slander and hostility.

8. That close minded individuals can also believe in paranormal and unexplained

9. That I'm pretty much done with contributing to this site.

10. That I know ATS well enough to know this post will probably removed. Crossing my fingers for a perma ban.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join