It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TED Talk: Jane McGonigal: The game that can give you 10 extra years of life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Video: www.ted.com...

When game designer Jane McGonigal found herself bedridden and suicidal following a severe concussion, she had a fascinating idea for how to get better. She dove into the scientific research and created the healing game, SuperBetter. In this moving talk, McGonigal explains how a game can boost resilience -- and promises to add 7.5 minutes to your life.

Reality is broken, says Jane McGonigal, and we need to make it work more like a game. Her work shows us how.
edit on 9-7-2012 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

It's all well and good if it works

But personally, I don't want to stay on this hell-hole planet for a second longer than I have to, let alone 10 extra years.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

If you don't want to be here so much why not just check out early? Serious question... Basically I don't believe what you say else surely you would just end it now.

To the OP, thanks I'll check the video out now.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by ZeuZZ

But personally, I don't want to stay on this hell-hole planet for a second longer than I have to, let alone 10 extra years.

RIP then.

You will be missed.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
That was a great video. I just downloaded her app. It's funny because I sometimes compare life to a computer game. You have set goals that you spend hours trying to complete, learning from your failed missions, where you went wrong, what you must do to change, so you can complete the mission. If you approach life as a game, then you are far more likely to enjoy the experience.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Never mentions about eating ahbits or quitting smoking? EVen if you do these things if you're not eating right or you smoke your life is pretty much going to be shorter.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll stay for my allocated time, however long that may be.

But nice to know some fellow ats-ers advocate and encourage suicide you wonderful people

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Did you even watch the video?

a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This is bogus. No one knows exactly when any one person will die. Claiming that the things you do will extend or reduce your life by a few years is ridiculous. If she said she could absolutely extend the human lifespan by 25 or 50 or 100 years, I would be more interested in what she has to say.

I have a strong suspicion she's just trying to sell the iPhone app she developed.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

You didn't watch the video.

Shes not selling anything, that's optional.

The game is your life.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeuZZ

reply to post by ZeuZZ

RIP then.

You will be missed.

Yes I know I will

But not before the big man up there calls for me.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

It was a question hence the "serious question"... Also I said that I didn't believe you as that is what you would do IF you truly meant what you said... Clearly you do not mean it... If you did well then it's good to know that my fellow ats'ers can spread such negativity to everyone, you lovely people!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
This is bogus. No one knows exactly when any one person will die. Claiming that the things you do will extend or reduce your life by a few years is ridiculous. If she said she could absolutely extend the human lifespan by 25 or 50 or 100 years, I would be more interested in what she has to say.

I have a strong suspicion she's just trying to sell the iPhone app she developed.

You have a valid point.

Unless you know the date you're going to die, how would you know that your life has been extended?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Unless you know the date you're going to die, how would you know that your life has been extended?

Conversely, how will you be able to prove that it was ?

Both lines of reasoning are flawed.

You loose nothing, you potentially have something to gain.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I am not the one making any claims so why should I have to provide proof?

I lose nothing anyway. And there would be no way of knowing if I gained extra years of life.
edit on 9-7-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

I did watch the video. She claimed that watching this video will extend my life by 7.5 minutes. The video is 19.5 minutes long. I now have a net loss of 12 minutes.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
ummmm what was she talking about?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30

It was a question hence the "serious question"... Also I said that I didn't believe you as that is what you would do IF you truly meant what you said... Clearly you do not mean it... If you did well then it's good to know that my fellow ats'ers can spread such negativity to everyone, you lovely people!

I said I don't want to be here a second longer than I have to, meaning when the Lord calls me. He decides when that will be, not me. Explain how that is spreading negativity?

So yes, I did truly mean what I said.
edit on 9-7-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
ummmm what was she talking about?

I watched it and thought the exact same thing.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I'll come right off the bat and confess I haven't watched the video yet but this argument, well...

Here's how we'll do it (playing the advocate of the devil here);

I have, in my hand at this very moment (typing with one hand, hard!), a wonderful potion, if you drank it, it would add 10 months (in the minimum!) to your lifespan. It only costs you 5 bucks (without shipping).

Will you order one? I can't prove it works, but since you can't prove it doesn't either, who's who to stop anyone from buying my potion, right?

Do you support this logic when applied on someone who you trust less? No right? As much as I want to believe her thingy works, anyone can claim something similar, we will never know for certain, unless there is proven evidence.

And thus, as it can't be proven, or hasn't been yet, it's to each their own...

Added to my favs for a later viewing so thank you in advance, whatever it is, TED is always interesting

(and with that said, I'm not trying to debunk anything, just pointing out that if one logic is flawed, that doesn't mean you can apply flawed logic to explain that earlier flawed logic)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join