It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender indicators why ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I mean why not ? It can be very embarrassing not knowing the gender of a member.
I've always wanted to ask this question. Surely it can't be because some of our members can't decide ?

edit on 6-7-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
autobot version 8.53e extended version. for more information you can email goolge support [admin] about my gender

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Im a dude. I just like dressing up cats.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I don't know Randy. I find as a female, sometimes I'm related to a different way than if the poster didn't know my gender.

I will admit, I've used my gender and age in getting point across in a post, but, it's been my choice. I kinda like it that way.

Is that a good thing...or a bad thing. I don't know. Being gender ID'd as a member might make ATS a bit more like some dating site like POF...that would not be any fun at all. jmoho...

Des

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I can sort of see the creep factor escalating a bit if the wiminz were easier to identify. I suppose I can also see posters being treated differently if they were identified by age or gender, though I'm pretty forthcoming with both personally.

I have been rather surprised by a few members genders in the past. I'm usually pretty good at figuring it out by posts.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Just one more "option" I'd ignore and not fill out...

I'm a rebel like that...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

...bah...typical male...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Im a dude. I just like dressing up cats.

LOL
now i understand your avatar ahah

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I can sort of see the creep factor escalating a bit if the wiminz were easier to identify. I suppose I can also see posters being treated differently if they were identified by age or gender, though I'm pretty forthcoming with both personally.

I have been rather surprised by a few members genders in the past. I'm usually pretty good at figuring it out by posts.

I've been surprised a few times too. Usually if I'm posting with regulars, and we all know each other pretty well, I know the gender of the posters. It's the one's who may be new, or stay in forums I don't spend much time in, who think I'm male. Sometimes I think my middle name must be Dude...I've been called it enough...

Some women haven't a problem with using their photo as an avi...I wouldn't want that for me. BTDT...it always leads to misunderstandings, and outright being hit on. Even at my advanced age...that whole cougar thingie....ick...

I like things the way they are here...to be honest, when I first saw your avi...I thought you were female...

Des

edit on 6-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I don't think knowing someones gender changes their opinion.

Some people have stupid biases and it would only encourage a further unnecessary division I think.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm with Destinyone on this one. I find that sometimes a woman is spoken to differently than one would speak to another guy. Some guys don't think women should have opinions on anything (Hi Archie Bunker and Father In Law
)

I am usually pretty up front about it, but some folks would just crawl all over it with the snide "monthly" comments and so forth. Trolling away.

But I do have to admit that I have made the mistake of calling another poster him/her when it was the opposite. ASSuming always gets me in trouble.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I'm with Destinyone on this one. I find that sometimes a woman is spoken to differently than one would speak to another guy. Some guys don't think women should have opinions on anything (Hi Archie Bunker and Father In Law
)

I am usually pretty up front about it, but some folks would just crawl all over it with the snide "monthly" comments and so forth. Trolling away.

But I do have to admit that I have made the mistake of calling another poster him/her when it was the opposite. ASSuming always gets me in trouble.

And here I thought i was the only one that noticed that phenomenon. It's annoying at times and I know that there have been more than a few times on the site that I get talked down at because of my gender, and even when I'm right on the money on something, get told "there there you're wrong because (insert really lame reason here)"

Although I don't support putting it in profiles, it's just a trend to note.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

I don't think knowing someones gender changes their opinion.

K It's not about that peeps. The other night a mermber i assumed was a male, tells me, " I have 3 daughters ".
My response ? Let me guess, you have a receding hair line. Bonk! Female.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
You'd be surprised how many U2U's I get from young female members asking if I'm another young female member.

I mean, c'mon!

A crying bunny, and a name like beezzer just screams 49 year old man with a growing forehead and bad knees.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
It can be very embarrassing not knowing the gender of a member.

Awkward

That'll learn ya for trying to chat up other ATS members before asking their gender

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
You'd be surprised how many U2U's I get from young female members asking if I'm another young female member.

I mean, c'mon!

A crying bunny, and a name like beezzer just screams 49 year old man with a growing forehead and bad knees.

Beez, after the past few weeks I could never mistake you for another Female

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08

Beez, after the past few weeks I could never mistake you for another Female

I usually get the newbies.

*scratch*
*belch*

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Personally I like to keep people guessing.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Oh wait, you're a female!

I guess that means I'll have to type slower when responding to you in the future.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
And as soon as the gender thing was straightened out, then they would want the marital/relationship status so the women can pounce on you.....

I will not go quietly into that good night!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join