It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS front page ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I really like the new page. I've just tested it on multiple tablet computers and it renders beautifully on all of them.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I usually spend most of my time on the Forums page or MyATS page and only used the Home page to see if there were new ATS recap videos, but since those aren't on here anymore, I never really paid it much attention.

I tend to search threads via the forum topic since I don't visit certain forums at all and haunt others much more.

So I found the boxes a bit confusing.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos
I really like the new page. I've just tested it on multiple tablet computers and it renders beautifully on all of them.

Me and my Android phone agree.
It does look amazing on smartphones and I would imagine tablets.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Well I think I see what SO's trying to do, and cluttered or not, it does represent at a glance on any given day what the ATS membership is talking about. And more so than the previous version. Just be prepared for a longer glance. There's more information there on one page than there was it seems. More threads, more info. I can deal with it, not a problem. In fact, I kinda like it. Yes, as unimaginable as that is, I actually like it.

You going to hang around ATS, be prepared for changes from time to time. SO didn't get this site coding as good as it is by just resting on the laurels. Usually all he asks for is to try it for a while and see how it works. Thin, colorful pics or ATS promos or something interspersed between the forum boxes to break that text up just ever so slightly from where it is- perhaps a blend of what was there before and this, and bingo. Perfection. But even as it is, it offers a reader the top topics of the day in quantity.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We're experimenting with a bit more "modern" design. This is the first step to making all of ATS a "responsive" site that works well in all screen sizes.

It's just text in boxes, how is that modern ? Years ago, this could have been the "mobile" version, but come on, it's 2012..
But hey, you're the boss. And as you say, it's only experimenting.. Next !

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yeah, the homepage makes sense on mobile phones (just tried it), but not on desktops with large monitors, old one was better for that.

reply to post by eriktheawful

What ever did happen to those recaps?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I cant believe how many people think this is a major deal!

Web sights change folks. The content is still the same.

Let the staffers work it out. IMO, its just fine. I am a fan of simplicity.

Lets not sweat the small stuff.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Who is more likely to visit the front page? Newcomers or members? I am saying newcomers, as most members go straight to either MyATS or Recent Topics etc etc.

Secondly, the front page is more likely to be viewed on mobile devices, therefore it makes sense to design the front page to cater for this.

All in all, I think it makes the experience for newcomers easier on the eye, less cluttered and quite simple to use.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The new design is aesthetically unpleasant.

I do not like the font, I do not like the colours that have been chosen and I think it does in no way harmonize with the rest of the website. It looks like a html glitch.

And I can only agree to what the other poster said: It sucks. It looks completely off. Who did pick the colours ? A colour blind chameleon ? I know these earthy-sand-tones are so web 2.0 but .. c'mon .. really ?

The font is way too bold as well, you know I'm sitting right infront of my screen and I still could read the headlines from like a mile away.

So basically my points of criticism are two-fold:

1) The colours. They cause nausea.
2) The font. Too bold, too big, too intrusive.

I liked it a lot better before, and when looking at the screencap from 2009 I even liked that better.

EDIT No 2: I looked at it in more detail and I come to understand that the horrible colours do not even represent a specific topic or forum. So basically they server no purpose whatsoever. It's completely random, or following a pattern which I still need to figure out. Seriously, the least I'd expect from colour-coding the snippets on the FP is that they represent different topics / subforums. As of now there's Alternative News in Booger Green, ***** Brown and what's that other colour again ... moldy plum purple ?

edit on 6-7-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
For what its worth i agree with some posters that at the moment it does not look very nice at all,

i don't fear change i have seen many changes at ATS

but this one hurts the eyes.

My 2 cents SO

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
its horrible.

visually about as appealing as a bowl of vomit.

ETA

You know that feeling you get when you get when you see someone trying too hard to impress?? thats the feeling I get when I look at the front page of ATS. ATS you are trying too hard and it shows..Go back to class please..
edit on 6-7-2012 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We're experimenting with a bit more "modern" design. This is the first step to making all of ATS a "responsive" site that works well in all screen sizes.

I didn't like the look of it at first, but seeing SO's reason for making it more responsive to all screen sizes sounds great! I don't read ATS from my phone, because a lot of times I can't get to the buttons and I have to take the long way around to get to where I want to go. If the screen size is more scalable with the new design change, then I'm a big fan!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The idea behind the design is good. It's just that you used a font that's to big. It's pretty hard navigate through the topics..it's to overwhelming. The " new topics , live headlines" layout is better imho.
edit on 6-7-2012 by benzjie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

It seems logical to consider the various mediums people would be be using to view the site. Haven't tried it on tablet yet, but I would think the new format would work well. Thumbs up - like it so far, but then I'm not a huge fan of busy, over-designed, sensory-overload type screen.

edit on 6-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I thought there was something wrong with my computer this morning.

Thought someone had magnified the screen size WAY too big.

And I was gonna yell at the kids when I got home...

edit on 7/6/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I love this site. However the front page looks like someone vomited all the sites content onto the front page. The boxes are very nice but the way they are now is terrible. I hope that changes.

If you truly want to update the site so that it can accommodate all browser widths I'm going to suggest you guys look into twitter bootstrap.
linky

We are using this for a site we are developing currently and it's pretty slick.
It will size from a 24 widescreen monitor all the way down to an iphone. And it looks good doing it.

BTW. I'd love to help out and give some input. If you'd have me.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by IpsissimusMagus
I subscribe to the theory that "if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it".

I liked the old version better. I won't be using the homepage anymore.

Its hard to addapt indeed .. i really liked the old one to
maybe they should have a option to switch back to the old design if its not to much trouble
and give everyone the choice to have the new or old design on the front page

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady
Although the front page is nice...

I hate change!!! Free Nelson Mandela!!!!!

Whaaa?

He is free, but rather ill and frail.

vvv

Whaaa's been banned!

This new page is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my entire life!!!
edit on 6-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The old design was much better than this new one. The old design had an air of professionalism, one that promoted the thought that this website was the leading forum on these issues. Now however this new layout makes one think that its a new website and that someone who doesn't quite understand how a layout should work. Go back to the original, it was easy to navigate and easy to understand. This just confuses me and makes me not want to come to the website. Change isn't always bad, Facebook shows us that, but this change is way to big and way to sudden. Find the happy medium if you still want to have a layout like this.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
So ATS focus on tablet and phone browsing now ?

actualy it's ugly on pc !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join