It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS front page ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Although the front page is nice...

I hate change!!! Free Nelson Mandela!!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady

Whaaa?

He is free, but rather ill and frail.

vvv

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Is there anyway we can some sort of a poll about this and see what happens with the results and act from there?

I personally dont like it and would vote no.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I love change but someone already said it:

Yeah and all those boxes make it look like a Warehouse.
Way too crowded, there's just too much going on and you don't even know were to look first. Then you scroll down and there's even more. I don't like it

I vote you leave it the same way it was before. I found things much easier on the old page. This new one had my eyes rolling up in my head and it was very hard to find stuff. Made me want to run from the page.

Maybe you can incorporate some of the themes from the forum list page into your new splash page for better effects? I don't know. I think the new page is a step back from where you need to be, IMO.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady

Whaaa?

He is free, but rather ill and frail.

vvv

It's a joke dude.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Arthur Fowler is Innocent!!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I have had a few friends whom I tried to get to sign up to ATS. They took one look at the front page (the way it was) and didn't join. They couldn't make sense of the page, the clutter and the information overload turned them right off.

I will try again with the new design. I am sure they will now join based just on this.

Don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers SO. These people are clueless about proper web design.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
I have had a few friends whom I tried to get to sign up to ATS. They took one look at the front page (the way it was) and didn't join. They couldn't make sense of the page, the clutter and the information overload turned them right off.

I will try again with the new design. I am sure they will now join based just on this.

Well why not just have them skip the front page?

And they will now join just based on this... really? You sound like an advert

Who uses the front page? Really?

I don't think I've ever used it.

We'll see what it's like when the new changes are implemented across the site.

Until then let's all just chill and read threads and participate instead of worrying about the home page.
edit on 6/7/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Arthur Fowler is Innocent!!

I think the new front page may be useful for smartphones.

BTW Arthur looks guilty. Must be the bars what does it.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I don't, I said that on my last post - primarily because It is way too cluttered.

Newcomers, however, coming in for the first time will generally see the front page. I know my mates did and it turned them right off.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The new front page is awful, truly horrible in my opinion. It is just a mass of boxes with no obvious structure at all. It reminds me of the new metro interface on Win 8 and that is # too. I really don't like it. Before it was structured you could look down and see what was a popular or well discussed topic in each area, now you just have a mass of ugly boxes with a crap colour coding that relates to nothing, its all a jumbled mess.

And as for people telling those that don't like it to leave, where do you get off? This is a public board and everyone who uses it has their own opinion which is just as valid as everyone else. That's is the real trouble with this board today, everyone has way to much ego and sense of self importance.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The new format may have advantages when navigating on a cell phone (read: small screen), but the lack of structure on a normal computer makes it difficult at best to look at.

Now, I really like the idea of the design, but it desperately needs some sort of organization, otherwise it really is just a mass of boxes.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Has anyone thought about the fact that SO may be redesigning the front page to a mobile-friendly interface? I would wager many of ATS's newcomers are on tablets or smartphones. The new box design seems perfect for this reason.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

I think you have just nailed that assessment.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Explanation: Flagged!

Personal Disclosure: Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Explanation: Here is my positive feedback ...

1stly I logged out of ATS and tried to access the home page and it took about 10seconds to load and I found that quite acceptable for my computer on my network with the broadband connection I have.

2ndly I was happy with both the size and the placemnt of ads.

3rdly I liked the font in large and bold which made it easy on my eyes for my viewing pleasure.

Here is my neutral feedback ...

A] Its look are if not ugly then unattractive ... what about a little bling?
For example I find rounded corner text field boxes far more easy on my eyes and I also recommend maybe making the thread with most replies and flags extra highlighted with a animated sparkle gif to attract the guests attention.

B] It looks disorganized with the different coloured text fields appearing randomly placed ... maybe segregate them to their own html frame.

Here is my negative feedback ...

X] It has no space to promote ATS stuff such as upcoming events, radio shows, important announcements etc.

Y] It is the front door ... how about a welcome mat ...errr message!

Personal Disclosure: I hope this helps constructively.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We're experimenting with a bit more "modern" design. This is the first step to making all of ATS a "responsive" site that works well in all screen sizes.

It's a work in progress people, bling will come.

There's nothing worse than spending many hours slaving over web code only to have a bunch of armchair judges slag off your work with one liners and insults.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I thought my browser improperly loaded the homepage but I see it's some sort of redesign. I just want to express my dislike for it. It's extremely cluttered, not very aesthetically appealing and I feel as if I get less info with this design.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
My input for whoever cares ...

I like the big print because of my poor eyesight.
But at the same time it's really cluttered.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Let me just say that I thought it was my iPad messing up the layout, like it didn't load properly. So I switched to a PC, and.. WTF ? The same ugliness appears. Switch it back to the right look and feel please, this is just.. Well, bad.

No offense, this is just my opinion on this. I used the main page all the time, but if it keeps looking like this that'll surely change. People want eye-candy, not eyesores. This looks like I've been set back a couple of years, instead of moving into the future.

Perhaps you should put up a poll to see what people prefer. Just dont put it on the main page, because people won't be able to find it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join