It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireworks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

I can't help but wonder. How many people who profess to be backers of the global warming frame of mind. Refrain from celebrating with fireworks. Tell their little kiddies.."no we can't do that, it's destroying the atmosphere". Or, do they belly up to the fireworks stand and hand over their money like everyone else.

Guess it's time for me to google global warming and fireworks.

Des

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

The firework noise usually begins around ten days before July 4th. Even the cats are used to it now, but there was not as much noise this year up here in Oregon, as in the past. That might have been because it was raining and cloudy right up until the 4th. Oregon-where summer starts on July 5.

In Nevada, I knew people who would stay home on the July 4th because people would shoot off Roman Candles (illegal) and they could light a roof on fire, due to the very hot and dry weather. I never liked when people called that an accident, as it is Not an accident when you set off an explosive over people houses and then one of the houses lights on fire.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Funny, i didnt have this issue in st joseph mi. And you do realize everyone still used illegal fireworks when they were illegal, right? Indiana isnt too far from here..:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I'd say there were triple the number of houses using fireworks this year.

They sell them everywhere now:
Kroger, Meijers, tents set up in parking lots, small storefronts rented out for a few weeks.

In previous years, they were being sold in tents in nearby cities to us in MI.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

In my moms neighborhood in Indiana absolutely every one has a plethora of explosives. I mean, a bunch. After sunset until about midnight we would try to outdo each other with front yard fireworks displays and party.

I live in So Cal. It wasnt much different here. There were lots of fireworks going off.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by James1982

Wait till one goes through your window, or almost sets your house on fire, then will see whose whining...

I hate cars and don't like people that drive them. Wait till one comes crashing through your house or runs you over on the street. Nah I don't hate cars just trying to show how that doesn't really mean anything

My neighbor's fireworks set my front lawn on fire before, it was an "OH CHIT" moments but I wasn't mad. Stuff happens.

Originally posted by Destinyone

You should go start your very own thread. Call it *fireworks are not for whiny people*. You can reach an even larger audience of ATS members to insult....yeah....that's the ticket....Go show 'em how smart you are...run along now, your fan club is waiting.....

Des

Heh heh you people really are touchy! Who would have thought a topic such as fireworks would evoke such an emotional response!

Originally posted by Forevever

I'm confused.... isn't this the rant forum where people are allowed to whine and complain?

I personally did not go outside and whine and complain at the people who woke up the family and scared the hell out of my cat..... I came here to do it. Many beat me to it

No need to be confused, this is indeed the rant forum! Hence my counter-rant! Rants, counter-rants, counter-counter-rants, as well as counter-counter-counter rants are allowed. No counter-counter-counter-counter-rants allowed though, then it gets too confusing.

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Originally posted by Manhater

Wait till one goes through your window, or almost sets your house on fire, then will see whose whining...

Do you always look at things in such a negative way?

Check out her posting history.... I think it's fairly obvious she does

Fireworks FTW, an easy way to weed out the un-fun killjoys of the world.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I can sympathize. They aren't legal in this state the kind that make loud noises, and fly up in the air. However, it doesn't prevent the people from using them, and of coursethe surrounding neighbors seem to ignore it. Such apathy in this neighborhood, is and in the apartment complex I live in.

From 7:00pm. til after 12:00 am Wednesday I was sandwiched in between two idiots on either side of the street.
They were having an My noise is better then your noise war. The big ones that have a loud noise to them. Well my head was pounding by the time I was tired enough to lay down, had to take two aspirin. So, I can really sympathize.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

You really enjoyed that...didn't you. I could see a picture of a little kid, on the beach, stomping on everyone else' sand castles, while reading your post...how sad...

If fireworks are the only thing that bring joy to your life...have at it....

des

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Friday nite.
Per the new state law...no fireworks are allowed

Still a few, set off in short spurts, ensuring no one would be able to report the wrong-doer

And, of course, it was the noisy ones......

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

The image in your head is almost a correct one, you just got it backwards.

The kids with the sand castles are us fireworks loving people. We are sitting around innocently enjoying our fireworks (sand castles) when the big meanies (people that hate fireworks and don't want other people to have fun) come along and stomp all over our fireworks (sand castles)

Saying that people should be allowed to play with fireworks isn't being a bully, going around saying that people shouldn't have fireworks is.

And BTW, I don't know what about my post would lead you to believe that fireworks are my only source of fun, that's nothing but a fabrication of your mind.

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to attack you. I generally agree and enjoy reading your posts here on ATS. I just happen to disagree with your opinion on fireworks, and was just poking fun in a lighthearted way. Perhaps you're taking me a bit too seriously? I don't know, but no ill will is coming from this side. If you have a problem with me or something that's unfortunate, but hey I'm not just going to agree with people so that they like me.

edit on 7-7-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I have a question....and it is generic...not implying anything toward you.

I can understand "We are sitting around innocently enjoying our fireworks....."
What I don't understand is thinking that your enjoyment is a right/privilege with no strings attached.

The fireworks crowd needs to be mindful of others.
They should be as far away from others as possible.
Clean up after themselves.
Do everything possible to keep the situation safe.
Stay away from buildings and overhangs.
Too often that is NOT happening.

Your "right" to fireworks is offset by other "rights" to safety, peace and quiet.
It doesn't mean your rights trump the rights of others.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I agree people should be safe. And to be honest I never said, nor do I believe that fireworks are a "right" by any definition. Normally I would get all constitutional, but I just don't see fireworks as a right.

At the same time I don't see someone else "peace and quiet" as being a right at all, on the 4th of July. This is a day in America where it's known and accepted that fireworks are going to be set off. Many cities have government-sponsored large scale firework shows. That's the main issue that I am against, is people getting all upset because it's too noisy for them. Well it's the 4th of July, what do you expect? That's like saying you can't stand how bright the neighborhood is during Christmas because everyone has their Christmas lights on.

Most every place, even those where fireworks are legal, have a curfew where you can't be noisy past a certain time, 11PM or whatever it is. If someone is setting off fireworks after the curfew, they are just being noisy neighbors, it's nothing to do with fireworks. How is it any different than a neighbor that throws huge parties that blast loud music until 4 in the morning.

The 4th of July for me is hanging around with some good friends, having some beer and BBQ, then setting off some fireworks. I'll do it whether or not it's legal, but I'm not going to be shooting off bottle rockets into people's houses or throwing firecrackers at their cats. That's called douchebaggery and has nothing to do with fireworks.

In the several decades that I have been setting off massive amounts of legal and illegal fireworks on the 4th, I've never set my, or anybody else house or property on fire. My neighbor set my lawn on fire one year, but the funny thing is that was with normal LEGAL fireworks. Those silly little ground blooms that just spin around on the ground and spit fire shot into my grass.

So yeah, people should be safe, but stuff happens. There was really no way for my neighbor to stop said firework from getting into my lawn. They spin around all over the place and he can't control where it's going to go. Luckily, like all responsible people setting off fireworks, we both had 5gal buckets of water sitting around as well as our hoses turned on in case of an emergency.

And yes people should clean up after themselves, but once more this is an issue of people being slobs and jerks, nothing to do with fireworks. I don't see the difference between them leaving the street littered with spent fireworks or a bag of fast food trash they just threw out their window.
edit on 7-7-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well, it appears we might get some relief from this insane Michigan law....
www.freep.com...

Here we are a week after the holiday, and last night we still suffered the noise

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

My question is to those of you who live in states where fireworks are legal.
Is this normal?

Do folks go hog wild on the fourth in your area?

Yes, they sure do! It happens over the entire 4th of July weekend and the entire new-years weekend where I live.

Hell, if they don’t spring for fireworks they just shoot guns until 1am.

Gotta love Texas!!

edit on 19-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join