It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moscow Warns West of ‘Big War’ in Syria

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Daedal

The U.S. created the United Nations, and is currently it's largest financial contributor, doling out upwards of 1/4 of it's entire budget, which has no real record. If the U.S. withdrew it's funding the U.N. centered R2P would likely not exist, right along with the U.N. it's self.

The US leaving the UN and pulling out of NATO is not a bad thing....

Agree however in some cases, it is better to let the UN handle the situation then US
or be used
After all it was created by the US for a reason back in time.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cassandranova
People love to complain about the United States, but what makes you think in the absence of American hegemony that whatever power rushed in to fill the vacuum would be more kind or benevolent?
Agree. I have mentioned this in other threads. If not US, someone else will step into their shoes as a superpower but it will be SOS but different Toilet Bowl

As far as Moscow complaining about Syria, they lack the force projection capacity to make anything more than noise, and as far as Assad goes, he deserves to be gone. What will replace him probably will not be better, and quite likely will not put the interests of the Syrians first, but I don't pretend for one moment that the Russians or Chinese are noble actors.
Every Government wants a piece of the pie regardless of how the citizens of their respective countries feel (be it canada, japan, russia, china, iran, india etc etc).

And that's nothing against them. That's the sad politics of statecraft.
People forget this aspect a lot

edit on 6-7-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by Catalyst317

This is all consequence really of Responsibility to Protect (RtoP):
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 5-7-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

Yes, because we ALWAYS step in when when civilians are innocently killed in every country in the world right?

Exactly! where were the NATO powers during the Rwanda genocide? How many units were sent into Zimbabwe to take care of Mugabi? I guess that Libyans and, potentially Syrians are somehow more important than the others?Don't kid yourselves,if you don't have oil or are not economically viable to the US in some way,you'll be left to bleed to death!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Boy-Oh-Boy am I glad I was three months to old to go to OCS last winter...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
America is on the verge of getting a really good hard kicking, I am sorry to see it happen, but if I was Russia & China I would have nuked the UK & USA 7 years ago, but as it looks today I feel the USA & UK have if they are lucky about 5 months left to survive a massive attack.
Just to listen to the big mouths in the UK Government, and Clinton in the US would make me press the red button if I was Putin.
I honestly do not know how Russia have kept cool so long knowing that America & UK are no match for Russia or China forces if they wanted to start on us.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
You can see the problem right here...

goo.gl...

The E90 has to go through Syria, thats the Silk Road and it can't go around Syria because of the mountains.

So the entire route from Turkey to Asia should become a free trade zone. The highway should be improved and there should be tolls that don't hold up traffic, and all cargo sealed by recognized trade merchants and their agents, and unopened on arrival in Turkey. Then unopened in Turkey and it arrives in Europe.

And the same in reverse from Europe.

So then on the route, you build trade hubs. And they have an airport so you can also link up other markets.
And you try to hook up trains to the hubs. I would do it for you but I think you know how to do it.

But the main route has to be a joint venture so Syria should join the SCO, or apply for dialogue status, get IMF money to expand Tartus, and then they feed goods to Greece and Cyprus.

edit: The E90 actually goes around the tip of Syria into Iraq.

So Syria is unimportant to Europe. Not worth the time wasted except that Cyprus and Greece would love to connect with the Silk Road and Tartus could connect them.

edit on 6-7-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
when politicians start to act and talk like the ones in the movies its time to run, FAR FAR AWAY

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
well I have a warning for Moscow: I have a gun and I've hunted bears before successfully and eaten their meat and skinned their pelts. So if you are planning on WW3 and invading my country you better think again because bears are good eating
edit on 7-7-2012 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The US will not enter another Middle East conflict unless it's as part of a large UN action with other nations sending the majority of troops.

You will also not see any country in the Middle East at this time willing to risk direct conflict with the US. The invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq changed the dynamic. The leaders of those countries will rattle sabers and make threats but at the end they are empty threats and they will back down one way or another.

It's fine with them if the local Jihadist want to travel to Afghanistan for the fighting season and try to kill some infidels, so long as the shooting is taking place there and not amongst their own homes and families. In fact, foreign insurgents fighting the US led coalition have proven far more likely to cause civilian casualties than the Americans. Plus they get the added bonus of being able to blame the US Coalition for those deaths and see that version of events spread far and wide by a willing and eager news media.

Russia wants nothing to do with another War in the region and would probably welcome a UN intervention they could both decry and secretly welcome at the same time. UN troops would pay the blood cost while the US would pay the financial cost and in the end Russia will end up with even stronger allies while the people they can't or don't want to deal with are removed from the game. Win / win.

What Russia doesn't realize or isn't taking into account is that there is zero support in the US for further conflicts in the Middle East and the cold war mentality of rising to Russian provocations is long, long gone. The US military has some of the finest tacticians in the business and left alone or with an aligned political leadership they will see no benefit to getting involved and will not rise to Russian baiting games. Thanks to Stalin for wiping out the best and brightest military minds Russia had and for creating a system where mediocrity and stasis became the rule.

I'm amazed how little things have really changed in that regard but then again, we are talking about a military founded on the tactic of scorched Earth retreats and attrition based offense. Creativity is NOT a Russian military strength.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alternative4u
America is on the verge of getting a really good hard kicking, I am sorry to see it happen, but if I was Russia & China I would have nuked the UK & USA 7 years ago, but as it looks today I feel the USA & UK have if they are lucky about 5 months left to survive a massive attack.
Just to listen to the big mouths in the UK Government, and Clinton in the US would make me press the red button if I was Putin.
I honestly do not know how Russia have kept cool so long knowing that America & UK are no match for Russia or China forces if they wanted to start on us.

Dude, China is not interested in fighting a war with the West, they play chess and play it with a 1000 year plan. Scenarios where China invades or nukes the US are pure movie fiction. Where do you think China's monster economy is coming from? Remove the West and that economy goes "poof" overnight.

Russia is also no longer looking for a war with the US or anyone else for that matter. The economy has finally grown enough to be self sustaining and people in Russia are enjoying capitalism in all its new found glory. Most of what you hear coming from Russian leaders is nothing more than a cultural auto-response to the "strong man". Unlike American Presidents who mostly model themselves after the "walk softly and carry a big stick" style in Russia people are instinctively drawn to bullies who talk a lot of crap and show off their muscles.

Every culture has its unique traits like this, you just have to learn which filter to watch / listen with. In the case of Russia, take everything they say and divide by 50% on a normal day and 75% during election cycles. These are the people who stood up in the UN and said "we will bury you" while knowing they didn't have the missiles, bombers or even nukes to do it with. If you ever play cards against Russians you can wipe them out just by knowing they will bluff almost all the time and bet heaviest when they are holding nothing.
edit on 7-7-2012 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
While the wording of the statement is ambiguos, I would speculate they did not intend for it to mean a US (Western), Russian war, but rather an exacarbated state of civil war.

With that said, I doubt the US will intervene, unless there is a mass-scale atrocity that can't be ignored (chances of that happening? low perhaps). Moreover, I doubt either side is willing to risk a war over Syria.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join