It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Shrunken Head DNA Proves Horrific Folklore True

page: 1
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   


A remarkably well-preserved shrunken head has just been authenticated by DNA analysis, which provides strong evidence that anecdotal accounts of violent head-hunting in South America were true.

The study, published in the latest issue of Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences, marks the first successful effort to unveil the genetic make-up of a shrunken head.

"The shrunken heads were made from enemies' heads cut on the battlefield," co-author Gila Kahila Bar-Gal told Discovery News. "Then, during spiritual ceremonies, enemies' heads were carefully reduced through boiling and heating, in the attempt to lock the enemy's spirit and protect the killers from spiritual revenge."

source

So apparently the scientists determined the shrunken head is legitimate, unlike the majority which are forgeries.

Shrunken heads always fascinated me, I don't know why. Hope you find the article as interesting as I did.
edit on 7/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All Caps Title.




posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I saw real shrunken heads in a museum in the 70's - it was a Colorado natural science museum if I remember correctly.

They explained the heads were shrunken by peeling the skin (hair, face and all) off of the skull ... then boiling in something which I forgot (tannic acid rings a bell, but, my bells don't always ring right) ... then dried. The heads are stuffed with something else, so, there's no skull bone in them.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 





"Then, during spiritual ceremonies, enemies' heads were carefully reduced through boiling and heating, in the attempt to lock the enemy's spirit and protect the killers from spiritual revenge."


I wonder who was the first person to decide that this was a good idea?

Well, like, this is what we do guys, we need to shrink the heads.

Yea, yea , that's the ticket.

I was always fascinated too, by how or why our ancestor decided these things.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I remember a lot of the films I watched on tv as a child often showed tribes shrinking heads. As I got a little older I assumed it was just silly stories made up for the movies, then I later discovered they did it for real!!
I wonder what the smell of boiling head smells like


Our leaders do the same to us, the difference is they shrink only the brain and they dont wait for us to die before they do it.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


I have thought about this sort of thing before too - like warlords who used the flayed skin of their enemies as their shield covers! I put it down to blunt trauma injuries combined with an ultra violent lifestyle.....



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


Somebody who had a small hut and not much room to store full-sized heads?

Or migratory people who wanted to keep their war-trophies close; but, couldn't carry large heavy skulls?



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


Somebody who had a small hut and not much room to store full-sized heads?

Or migratory people who wanted to keep their war-trophies close; but, couldn't carry large heavy skulls?



nice,



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Stormdancer777
 


I have thought about this sort of thing before too - like warlords who used the flayed skin of their enemies as their shield covers! I put it down to blunt trauma injuries combined with an ultra violent lifestyle..... [/quot

Pretty disturbing, isn't it?

WOW people were vicious .



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam
 





Somebody who had a small hut and not much room to store full-sized heads?


Physics at its roots.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I had no idea there was any controversy about that being true!
I've always read that it was a known and accepted fact.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by smyleegrl
 





"Then, during spiritual ceremonies, enemies' heads were carefully reduced through boiling and heating, in the attempt to lock the enemy's spirit and protect the killers from spiritual revenge."


I wonder who was the first person to decide that this was a good idea?

Well, like, this is what we do guys, we need to shrink the heads.

Yea, yea , that's the ticket.

I was always fascinated too, by how or why our ancestor decided these things.



Dreams, visions, epiphanies, synchronicities, etc



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Whoa. I always wondered how they shrunk the skull. I guess it stands to reason that they didn't actually shrink the skull, just removed the skin and then remoulded it. I'm such a dimwit sometimes



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
Whoa. I always wondered how they shrunk the skull. I guess it stands to reason that they didn't actually shrink the skull, just removed the skin and then remoulded it. I'm such a dimwit sometimes


I wouldn't worry. I am sure if we are all really honest we would admit to having thought the same thing sometime, however briefly!



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


Whichever Mod changed the title to normal caps, thank you! I just copied and pasted from the website and didn't realize it was in all caps before I hit post. Sorry for the breach in etiquette and I appreciate your fixing my mistake.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule
 





Dreams, visions, epiphanies, synchronicities, etc


Imagination.

I wonder what made them decide there were spirits?

edit on 093131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma
 


I don't think the practice itself was in question, just that most of the heads purported to be "real human shrunken heads" were faked.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


I remember back in the day they were popular to hang from your rear view mirror,

Not mine.
lol



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


I also thot this was known info too. My understanding was a series of drying/boiling and using a gourd to keep the look of a skull.

I've seen 'em. While I do not pretend to understand cultural anthropology...I would think retaining the heads as trophy's would be akin to stealing or removing the MANliness from the foe. And evidence to anyone who thinks to threaten such a well decorated war hero would see us own potential fate should he be wrong.

As with the Bodies in Motion, I find this type of art both macabre and a sort of celebration of the human body. We are fragile and durable creatures, once the spirit is gone, easily disassembled...



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot
 


I went to the exhibit in Myrtle Beach called "Bodies." It was incredible and eye-opening.



posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
wonder what went through the person who decided to shrink heads? did they even know it was possible or were they cooking it for food?



new topics

top topics



 
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join