It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrunken Head DNA Proves Horrific Folklore True

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by choos
wonder what went through the person who decided to shrink heads? did they even know it was possible or were they cooking it for food?

I watched a episode of QI (a tv quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry) where they discussed this very topic and it was explained that it was done by these tribes as a kind of ultimate insult to the person they had killed. A kind of ha ha I got you and disfigured you, you belong to me. Very wicked and nasty mindset.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by choos
wonder what went through the person who decided to shrink heads? did they even know it was possible or were they cooking it for food?

Good point I bet that is a possibility,

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Maybe they even thought that keeping the head or body parts would block the person from entering the afterlife? I know some cultures believed the body had to be intact or the person couldn't make the transition. So maybe keeping your enemy's shrunken head was a way of keeping them from heaven.

If so...pretty nasty mindset.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I wonder who was the first person to decide that this was a good idea?

I was wondering that too. I was thinking maybe someone who killed a lot of people in battle wanted to show how fearsome he was and thought carrying around whole heads of enemies on a string around his neck would look a lot scarier than just carrying around their ears or whatever.

Human depravity knows no limits.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I've always wondered if the dudes that came back from battle with shrunken heads got nagged by their wives for bringing back ugly ones? I can image the missus saying "for gods sake, would you pull down that horrible head from display, the neighbours have stopped visiting us after you put that out, we don't even get harrassed by door to door salesmen anymore...."

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I've known about this for some time, and I really do find it quite fascinating. Not all the tribes were simply out to collect heads though, sometimes it was a war trophy as some indians did in fact perform scalpings on their fallen enemies of war. In some tribes it's even a funeral right which is almost more disturbing to us westerners, how would anyone want to peel the flesh off their dead relative or tribesmen and shrink it. How ever in the same regard we find mummification fascinating. I think it's a unique piece of history, and in the same regard as mummies, people discovered our morbid fascination with death and oddities so fakes and real heads started to become a hot commodity.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

My bet is he was really pi##ed.Killing the guy wasn't bad enough.It had to be memorable.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I am just a bit surprised that the head hunters were in south America! I always thought that head hunters were in French Polynesia for some reason.....I think it had to do with that episode of Gillian's island I saw as a kid......

I also wonder if there are any tribes that still practice this? If not, when did they stop and what made them stop?
I am not really surprised that this practice occurred, only because I harbor a suspicion that different varieties of cannibalism were common among tribes at one point in our history, so no doubt people experimented with various cooking and preserving methods, and it became a part of tribal culture.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

Check out "Tribe" - a documentary with Bruce Parry. Basically, he goes and stays with native tribes around the world but lives as they do so that they will accept him. On one of the episodes, he is in Papua New Guinea staying with a tribe that live 50 ft above the ground because of threats from other tribes - one of which last ate people 10-15 years ago!
edit on 5-7-2012 by Flavian because: Bad grammar

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I wonder who was the first person to decide that this was a good idea?

Well, like, this is what we do guys, we need to shrink the heads.

Yea, yea , that's the ticket.

I was always fascinated too, by how or why our ancestor decided these things.

I suppose, thinking about it, it was a clever innovation towards portability
Consider the Celts, and the such like, all those full sized heads slung from their belts must have been quite a load to carry, but were essential if you wanted to show your wife what you'd been upto while off on your jaunts. Really, it's surprising others didn't think of it sooner, or that it wasn't more widely practiced. Must be something to do with the Western mentality of size being everything

edit on 5-7-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
Human depravity knows no limits.

Different times, different values.

What is perhaps more depraved was that they experimented with the practice at Buchenwald...

www.shamash.org...

I don't think we can place our norms onto those who lived brutally, but we can judge those who brutalised for personal or collective gain in modernity or out of a sense of superiority and 'right'.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

What I find interesting about the Papua New Guinea example of cannibalism is that it appears that it will be eradicated purely by natural selection, and the natural selection in this case being a disease which affects those that eat human flesh. It makes one wonder whether this is why it is such a taboo amongst most human communities, not because it is wrong to eat our own species, but because it is harmful.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

Yes this is interesting but is this limited to Papua rather than everywhere? For example, is it some specific parasite that causes this in Papua that is not present in other places, or is this what happens eventually to everyone that indulges in a spot of "eat thy neighbour"?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

It is like CJD, almost indistinguishable in fact, and like CJD is a related to ingesting prions

Simon Mead of University College London, and others, showed in their genetic and clinical assessment that people who survived the epidemic in Papua New Guinea were carriers of a prion-resistant factor. Mead's group has shown the source of immunity to be the inheritance of a genetic variant of prion protein G127V.[14][15] This work remains breaking news as of November 22, 2009, and further implications of the discovery including evidence for rapid natural selection of populations are being discussed.[16]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Incredibly off topic and admittedly I havn't read your thread yet...

But god I love your avatar! S+F!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The Nagas tribe also were headhunters and there reasons were simple

The taking of a head is symbolic of courage and men who could not were dubbed as women or cows. There is nothing more glorious for a Naga than victory in battle by bringing home the severed head of an enemy

in addition

A man who hadn't obtained a head would have difficulty getting a spouse

However they tended to keep the skulls and not the 'heads'.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Mijamija

Check out "Tribe" - a documentary with Bruce Parry. Basically, he goes and stays with native tribes around the world but lives as they do so that they will accept him. On one of the episodes, he is in Papua New Guinea staying with a tribe that live 50 ft above the ground because of threats from other tribes - one of which last ate people 10-15 years ago!
edit on 5-7-2012 by Flavian because: Bad grammar

Thank you for the info! Can't wait to check it out.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Biliverdin

Yes this is interesting but is this limited to Papua rather than everywhere? For example, is it some specific parasite that causes this in Papua that is not present in other places, or is this what happens eventually to everyone that indulges in a spot of "eat thy neighbour"?

The main reason you see it in papuan populations, is that they practiced cannibalism much later than most, and they eat the brains and and spinal cords, nerve and brain tissue is where the prion can be found.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join