It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's get something straight...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Should of vs. Should Have

Could care less vs. couldn't care less

There, their, and they're

Those are probably my biggest peeves. Excluding, of course, text speech.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog
reply to post by Awen24

It might not be rocket science for you, but it might be for someone else.

I started learning English when I was 23. It is 3rd language I have learned and I do still make some stupid mistakes.

In most cases, when I read ATS (or any other forum) and reply I don't have much time, as I do it while working on something, and many times I would not re-read my post before hitting submit.

And there is a case, just like in all languages where you have so many similar words, but very different meanings..

Question to you, have you ever learned and used any other language?

People who speak English as a second language are exempt from my rant. Unless they use the word(s) "alot", in which case they deserve to be fed to such a beast (source. And you're welcome.).

And yes, I have learned and used another language. For many years. And I still suck at it. Irony is a wench.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I don't use alot a lot, even I like alot...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoticf8
Lol, probably foreigners or bad education

Usually foreigners are educated more in grammar then the natives(they are influenced by slang), what foreigners are bad at the start is speaking.

IMO, on internet i don't give a fruit, as long as the other person understands, i don't care, but of course there is a limit..

some that i use ON INTERNET;

Through = thru
Although/Though = altho/tho
About = abt
Maybe = Mayb

It depends on the use and what is the discussion is about... if you try to explain string theory using text language, only few will get it.
edit on 7/9/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This alot reminds me a lot of email that we all got back in day, that proved to be a lie. (There was no research on Cambridge, but one of professor at Cambridge was interviewed regarding this email, that originated in 1999)

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I tru da ball tru da hoop an' tourally enjoyed meself dough iffin I had it to do all over ag'in, idda trone dat ball inna udder teme's hoop jes fur da heckuvit.

Grammar Nazis Unite!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

This makes me want to strike my monitor.

My brain hurts now.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Words are simply the vessel that coveys the message.

Are you going to judge the soup by the shape of the bowl?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog
reply to post by Awen24

I started learning English when I was 23. It is 3rd language I have learned and I do still make some stupid mistakes.

Not many, you don't. I believe people criticize spelling and grammar of native English speakers, not people like you who do a fine job of it. You can usually tell because non-native English speakers' mistakes are of a different variety than what I would call "sloppy English." You know the differences between "their" and "there" and "they're" because you were forced to learn them or nothing would make sense to you in translation. "Sloppy English" speakers just don't care and you can see it in their posts. People such as yourself are much more prone to make "positional" errors because the way you stitch sentences together is different, a different grammar, if you will. It's usually obvious in context, and nobody should ding you on it.

In other words, you get some slack. People who should know better because they are native English speakers do not--even though they would like to pretend it doesn't matter.

Now, if I got through this post without a mistake it will be a minor miracle.
edit on 7/9/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Awen24

Words are simply the vessel that coveys the message.

Are you going to judge the soup by the shape of the bowl?

Yes.
Thank you for your contribution

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Hmmm used to or use to?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Oh and why do people that study medicine say medcine ? Why god damn it. Ahhhhhh makes me rage.

I love this rant forum.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

*Hands OP decaf...chill baby, we have bigger problems in the world than grammar.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join