It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's get something straight...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Throw = he likes to throw a ball.
Threw = he threw the ball (past tense)
Through = he threw the ball through the hoop
Though = it's not as though he intended to hit you on the head with the ball after he threw it through the hoop. Although, maybe he did, because he was sick and freaking tired of you using the word "threw" when you meant "through". I know I am.

Seriously people, it's not rocket science.
[/end rant]

edit on 3-7-2012 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Lol, probably foreigners or bad education

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I am a grammar and spelling schtickler myself. I think we're more prone to typing errors than anything though. We sometimes type faster than we can proofread.

Lighten up. When people are stupid you can tell by what they say and do and not by their typing proficiency (although editing before posting helps)!
edit on 3-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: edited grammar to appease the OP

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
This is what happens when we allow our society to gain their education from the likes of twitter, texts and facebook.
I totally understand your point.
Piece Out!
(Just kidding)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I tried hard to find a mistake in the OP, or the other two posts here.

Alas, there is nothing.

Well done.

vvv

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
I am a grammar and spelling schtickler myself. I think we're more prone to typing errors than anything though. We sometimes type faster than we can proofread.

Lighten up. When people are stupid you can tell by what they say and do and not by their typing proficiency (although editing before posting helps)!
edit on 3-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: edited grammar to appease the OP

I love your edit.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

You know, I had to edit to get rid of my use of passive voice and make a change so my sentence was in proper parallel form. However, I'm sure there is something screwed up with the previous sentence too. Ugh! I'm going back to twitter where I feel smarter

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

You know, I had to edit to get rid of my use of passive voice and make a change so my sentence was in proper parallel form. However, I'm sure there is something screwed up with the previous sentence too. Ugh! I'm going back to twitter where I feel smarter

Ah, yes... The twitter world, where men who write "you are" instead of "ur" transcend from men to gods. Hallowed turf indeed.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
My personal "favorite"

aloud used in place of allowed

E.G. I'm not aloud to use that word.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Is being a nazi grammar aloud?

^^ One of my pet peeves.. people who mix allowed and aloud up.

wanna throttle them threw the moniter..

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Haha! Exactly! I do agree that proper reading and writing is very important. It really does annoy me when I see misspellings and such. I often check my dictionary if I'm not 100% sure how a word is spelled. But come on! Everybody is prone to typing errors.

"there" and "their" are phonetically identical. When I'm typing I am focusing on what I want to say. The sound of the word seems correct even if I use the incorrect spelling. Like I said, we are typing to keep up with our thoughts. To do this, we have to take shortcuts like using the wrong spelling or allowing some other mistake to be made.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert
My personal "favorite"

aloud used in place of allowed

E.G. I'm not aloud to use that word.

Lol bloody nora beat me by >< much!!!

haha.. oh well, cest la vie.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
After a while on the internet its amazing what abuses of the Queens English i've seen and normally the worst people are native speakers as those that learn English as a second language normally have to sort of translate it and so put the correct wording.

but we all know language trolling is a art

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
How about british people that whine about american english! The extra u after the o, and centre!

I hate thru and nite. So lazy.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Are you through? Because I don't think you were thorough enough. After all when you throw something like this out there. There are bound to be people who think they're part of some kind of grand conspiracy by the grammar Nazi's.

There they're left with these ideas that their vocabulary, spelling and grammar is more important than the content of their post. Do you see that the sea of ignorance lies in comprehension and does not lay in technical terms.

Your ideas show you're not seeing this or these other peoples posts in the correct context in which some old witch might have meant it. You are focused on the views of the ewe or the sheep. The quality of the content becomes lost when you focus on being a being who only cares about spelling and not that that is intended to be conveyed.

Does a bee know itself to be a bee? Or is the bee just satisfied to be a bee being a being of this planet. It's like if you like using words that sound alike but are spelled different. But then there are words that are spelled the same but have different meanings. Do you do the dew? Don't answer just yet for that might not be just.

For what reason do you justify being a grammar Nazi? Do you think that spelling is more important than the content of the post itself? Have you thought that maybe the more important part of a post is its meaning and not that it's spelled correctly?

I think you should study this more. This link may help you.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IpsissimusMagus

I am a so-called grammar "Nazi", but I agree completely with everything in your post
. But your avatar photo just gives me the heebie-jeebies (spelling? )

Kind of reminds me of Bat Boy from WWN
edit on 3-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Their - there - they are.

Must be a very difficult decision..

Another one: "have been" -> "off been". Why? Why oh why?! English degrades from year to year. Okay, make that "from minute to minute", whenever someone reads a tweet and decides to retweet it, but with more errors - sorry, advancements..

edit on 3-7-2012 by ManFromEurope because: My brain forced me to.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Busting on me eh??

I'm not perfect.

Sometimes it is confusing.

And my mind, thinks faster then I type.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
And another one...

I could care less about..."

That, of course, is wrong.
The correct (and original version) is...

I could NOT care less about..."

You are trying to say that your care factor is so low that it could NOT go any lower.

geeez... even Jaime Lannister on Game of Thrones got that wrong.

P.S. There was a big earthquake in New Zealand over an hour ago now, and nobody has posted a "things are really heating up now Nibiru is really close" thread yet. Whats wrong with you people today?

edit on 3-7-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

It might not be rocket science for you, but it might be for someone else.

I started learning English when I was 23. It is 3rd language I have learned and I do still make some stupid mistakes.

In most cases, when I read ATS (or any other forum) and reply I don't have much time, as I do it while working on something, and many times I would not re-read my post before hitting submit.

And there is a case, just like in all languages where you have so many similar words, but very different meanings..

Question to you, have you ever learned and used any other language?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join