It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found a watch battery in my phone connected to the mic.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I have a old verizon phone. I had heard about how the Government can can spy on you threw your phone by activating the microphone even when the phone is off. Now I wonder if they can do it when the phone does not have a battery in it. So I opened it up and found a watch battery wired to the microphone. Probably so they can listen to you while your phone does not have a battery in it. Its public knowledge that the Goverment can listen to you threw your microphone but because its public knowledge but its kind of useless because you can just take the battery out of your phone. Unless they plant a extra battery. I bet on newer phones they do not even look like battery's, its probably apart of the board.

With some phones if your battery dies, their is a code you can enter to get a little extra life out of it. I wonder if it gets this extra energy from the phones main battery or the battery concealed inside of the phone.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

If they can they will, if they will they have, if they have they are.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm not so sure about this to be honest.

I think that battery is more for during calls, so that it doesn't drain the normal battery (talk-time and standby-time of batteries differ alot)

Depending on it's voltage it might be strong enough for the mic, but would it be strong enough to power your antenna and transmit? I doubt it.

It's possible, but i dont think so.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Was wired directly to the receiver? Or was it just on the circuit? Open your computer, and there is a small battery in it. It's not powerful enough to do much besides provide a slight amount of power to save your Wi-Fi passwords, etc. How do you think it saves information during a sudden loss of power? Just take it out, and if you can live with it, problem solved. My guess is the phone won't work right without it.
Unless you bought the most expensive phone ever, I doubt it came with experimental government batteries.
edit on 2-7-2012 by rangerdanger because: Spelling and grammar.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
That would be a great picture

OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN !!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
And how long would that last? I think I recall seeing something that RESEMBLES a watch battery in an old phone of mine, but it think it was a sound element of some sort.

If possible, you should see if the battery has any charge to it. It's a watch battery after all, they don't last forever.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje
I'm not so sure about this to be honest.

I think that battery is more for during calls, so that it doesn't drain the normal battery (talk-time and standby-time of batteries differ alot)

Depending on it's voltage it might be strong enough for the mic, but would it be strong enough to power your antenna and transmit? I doubt it.

It's possible, but i dont think so.

I took it apart a couple days ago so I forgot what exactly the battery was connected to. I am looking at it right now and its connected to the main board, hanging off some wires. The mic is connected to the main board hanging off some wires as well. So I do not know if its directly connected to the pic but it was placed next to it and the mic and the battery are the only thing hanging off the board.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen.

Modern cell phones are so picked over by nerds when they are released that it would of been found out by now.

so that leaves someone bugged your phone so again, pics.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I'm wondering if it was a tracking device? Remember, a lot of GPS trackers are the size and shape of a watch battery, and we already know they put those things in phones...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangerdanger
Was wired directly to the receiver? Or was it just on the circuit? Open your computer, and there is a small battery in it. It's not powerful enough to do much besides provide a slight amount of power to save your Wi-Fi passwords, etc. How do you think it saves information during a sudden loss of power? Just take it out, and if you can live with it, problem solved. My guess is the phone won't work right without it.
Unless you bought the most expensive phone ever, I doubt it came with experimental government batteries.

Lol wifi passwords? Thats on the harddrive dude. Youre overestimating that battery. It saves cmos startup information, thats it. Basically the computers clock and the startup password as soon as power is turned on, and what disk drives you have. You can also overclock in that menu.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangerdanger

Your phone will not lose your information if their is no power. Your computer uses a battery to keep time, has nothing to do with wifi passwords or remembering data. Your wifi password is stored in your router.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
I'm wondering if it was a tracking device? Remember, a lot of GPS trackers are the size and shape of a watch battery, and we already know they put those things in phones...

Its not a tracking device, they do not need to put a "tracking" device in your phone. Your phone alone is a tracking device, it would not work with out pinpointing where you are.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

You're right, that's my bad. My disinfo aside I have an Evo 4G, and there is nothing like that in my phone. If it's older, that component might not be used anymore. JFGI, and see if anybody else is asking the same thing. I bet you're not the first person to find it.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Actually i think the way you describe it another poster was more accurate.

Probably just a battery to keep the clock/memory the way it should be when you disconnect your main battery, like on a pc mainboard.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Just like in a computer, that watch battery is used for your phone's internal clock!

Cell phones have such tiny speakers and microphones that it is incredible how well most of them reproduce sound. As you can see in the picture above, the speaker is about the size of a dime and the microphone is no larger than the watch battery beside it. Speaking of the watch battery, this is used by the cell phone's internal clock chip.

Source

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
I have a old verizon phone. I had heard about how the Government can can spy on you threw your phone by activating the microphone even when the phone is off. Now I wonder if they can do it when the phone does not have a battery in it. So I opened it up and found a watch battery wired to the microphone. Probably so they can listen to you while your phone does not have a battery in it. Its public knowledge that the Goverment can listen to you threw your microphone but because its public knowledge but its kind of useless because you can just take the battery out of your phone. Unless they plant a extra battery. I bet on newer phones they do not even look like battery's, its probably apart of the board.

With some phones if your battery dies, their is a code you can enter to get a little extra life out of it. I wonder if it gets this extra energy from the phones main battery or the battery concealed inside of the phone.

Why would they go to all of the trouble of infiltrating your home and disassembling your phone when they can just spy on you using snooping software at the switch.

Digital transmissions have completely changed the snooping game. I think you are misidentifying the purpose of the battery..

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
OP,

Can you please give a bit more information on the phone type?

There are those of us that were born BEFORE the age of the Cell phone, so is this a landline phone? Cell Phone? What is it?

Yes, there was an era BEFORE the word "Verizon" existed to mean "cellular" ... They actually made landline phones.

And believe it or not, there used to exist phones that actually had to plug into a wall!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Mmmmhm I'm with the too many prodding geeks idea, pics or it's a lie.
2nd line reserved for further content.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

There are two very good reasons why they might do this. One is the same reason you have a watch battery in your computer which is there for not losing data. The other might be for dialing 911.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
OP,

Can you please give a bit more information on the phone type?

There are those of us that were born BEFORE the age of the Cell phone, so is this a landline phone? Cell Phone? What is it?

Yes, there was an era BEFORE the word "Verizon" existed to mean "cellular" ... They actually made landline phones.

And believe it or not, there used to exist phones that actually had to plug into a wall!!!

You realize people are going to assume you plugged it into the wall just to charge it, right? Don't worry, I'm with you. I still remember my rotary-dialing phone (and I'm only in my early 30's, hah!).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join