It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need your advice on BOB, not the contents but the BAG

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I have a year long stash well concealed and secured about 30 miles from my edge of an urban area home so my bag need only get me there.

I have considered a 'backpack' but sure not a shiny new high tech one which would telegraph it's purpose to undesirables. Rather a beat up old one with no obvious bulges and a few decoy (apparently worthless) items hanging from it.

OR on old hard sided 24 or 26 inch suitcase, (cheap at Goodwill, Salvation army, yard sales). Easily dropped to free your hand and again decoyed. Maybe with a bedroll attached to conceal a shotgun.

OR a grocery store shopping cart, homeless style (no fancy new hiking boots), since 99 percent of my travel will be on highways. Even an old fashioned pull behind will work.

There are pros and cons to each including concealing a slightly modified shotgun but still having ready access.

And, as for contents a GOOD wire cutter as there will be miles of cable tv and phone wires free for the taking.

All advice appreciated.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I see what you are saying, but if you need to "bug out" of your location and live off what you can carry for an undetermined amount of time, your elementary school backpack or suitcase isn't ideal.

Go for a mystery ranch or kifaru or any of the backpacks the thru-hikers on the Appalachian trail use. There are lots of options that don't look tacticool or stand out as abnormal.

You don't want to regret your choice if unforeseen circumstances force you on the road.
edit on 2-7-2012 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

If you are only going 30 miles and walking on the highway, just grab a duffel bag. Most would just think it's a gym bag with what you could grab really quick and may not think it's a BOB. It would also conceal your shotgun

However, if you are bugging out, then something disastrous happened and you may not want to stay on the highways.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You can probably find what you need here: www.majorsurplus.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

You need at least two fishing poles and a small tackle box ready to go at all times. You need nothing else except your choice of protection.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I have a "GO" bag which is a loaded backpack.
Then there is my total package.
It all depends on how fast I have to move.
Oh! the last way you want to move is on any paved highway or road.
Funny, all these fires are reducing cover for escape.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Personally I'm going with a 'Jansport - The Merit' rucksack in a nice dull black. It's innocent enough to look at while being large enough to store a change of clothes and all the extra BOB gear (though I didn't think of concealing a shotgun as I'm over in the UK). It's a quiet giant, and a real black hole as far as what you can fit into it. It's also comfortable on the back and quite hard wearing - my current one is used for university and travelling from London to Cardiff on a regular basis and after a year and a half of intensive wear it's only got a small penny sized hole in one bottom corner, easily fixed with gaffa/duct tape and it don't even show.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well you can develope your own bag, but mine is a bag, a boat, and a tent all in one. This bag carries all you can carry physically and unravels, just leave your stuff in the center and blow up the ends of the bag and put it into the lake and float to the other side. When you get to the other side you can use the ropes,gear and hoist yourself up into the trees and the directions show you how to pitch a tent in the air so the animals cannot get you. Like sleeping on a trampaleen pitched in the trees, only it's a tent and keeps you out of the rain and bugs. This little jiffy is a saver and keeps you off of the cold ground in the winter.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
Well you can develope your own bag, but mine is a bag, a boat, and a tent all in one. This bag carries all you can carry physically and unravels, just leave your stuff in the center and blow up the ends of the bag and put it into the lake and float to the other side. When you get to the other side you can use the ropes,gear and hoist yourself up into the trees and the directions show you how to pitch a tent in the air so the animals cannot get you. Like sleeping on a trampaleen pitched in the trees, only it's a tent and keeps you out of the rain and bugs. This little jiffy is a saver and keeps you off of the cold ground in the winter.

Made out of the latest tephlon product that bullet proof vests are made out of.
This jiffy is ready for anything you can throw at it and comes with two assembly ores, lightweight materials.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Always buy quality items no matter what it is.Paracord and a good knife is a must. Also a fire starting kit that has a windmill lighter just in case. The windmill lighter is 50 bucks but worth every penny if your life depended on it.

These are some of the items in my bag-

Windmill lighter
Gerber LMF 2
Gerber suspension multi tool
katadyn hiker pro
200 feet paracord
fire starting kit
wiley x glasses kit
gerber machete
tritium compass
fishing kit
surefire and insight flashlights----Dont cheap out they will not hold up ever time
medical kit
waterproof cases----pelican or otter
Rain poncho military grade with insert
canteen military grade
Change of cloths---BDUs are the best but anything that can be layered and nothing bright
Hiking tent----North face is the best Kelty is good for a budget
msr backpack stove
Wyoming saw 2
Streamlight or Surefire headlamp
Nikon or leupold binoculars---Also do not cheap out they will not last
MRE meals

This is not a complete list but it does have some essential items

edit on 3-7-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
I have a year long stash well concealed and secured about 30 miles from my edge of an urban area home so my bag need only get me there.

30 miles isn't that far. You should be able to get there on foot in 12-14 hours. I'd probably opt for a bike and cut the time to 2-3 hours. Bedroll across the handlebars for your shotgun. With that out of the way any bag will do.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
My office issued us bobs. I have a very rare, government non military issued bob.

This backpack is insane. I couldn't even begin to tell you how much it can hold and the insane amout of pockets and storage.

It is designed for firefighter/ems use.

And it is very, very, good quality. This thing will last forever.

www.511tactical.com...

edit on 3-7-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What you carry depends on your skills and fitness. If you can get by with minimal gear, and can keep a swift pace, I would drop the pack altogether and carry the basics; knife, firearm, fire starting kit, compass, binoculars, and anything else you can fit on your body without looking or feeling loaded down. If you need to take at least some amount of kit to the site, a SnugPak brand bag is a good, durable, and affordable pack. They have a 25 liter pack for $20, or if you need something larger, a rocket pack is a great option, and its what I use currently so I don't wear out my nice Kifaru pack. Saving that for the "event."

new topics

top topics

join