It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asian Neanderthals, Humans Mated 100,000 years ago

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Asian Neanderthals, Humans Mated

A modern human fossil dating to more than 100,000 years ago in Asia reveals distinctive Neanderthal features.

THE GIST....
*The oldest modern human remains from East Asia have been found and date to at least 100,000 years ago.

*The structure of the fossils and age all suggest that modern humans interbred with Neanderthals.

*The findings also reveal that modern humans were established in East Asia much earlier than in Europe.

Early modern humans mated with Neanderthals and possibly other archaic hominid species from Asia at least 100,000 years ago, according to a new study that describes human remains from that period in South China.

The remains are the oldest modern human fossils in East Asia and predate, by over 60,000 years, the oldest previously known modern human remains in the region.

While doing some more online research for another in-depth thread [I've been threatening to post] I came across this little jewel. It's not 'Breaking News" As always I did a search and found many related topics but nothing spot on. This possible new evidence suggests that the two interbred in Asia long before they did in Europe.

It seems that man may have bypassed Europe and headed East first. It's becoming apparent that Neanderthal and Modern man interbred. As I've written about in a few of my threads [linked below in my signature which I'll provide again in this thread]. Here they have found 100,000 year old remains that show characteristics of both.

For those less familiar with one of my theories of a "Crossover/Halfbreed/High bred" period in mans history may find these links interesting help you to get up to speed....

Man's Genetic voyage. Fact, Speculation and Theories
&
Who Were the Ancient Megalithic Builders?

As always have a great day.

Thoughts?
edit on 2-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ive always been fascinated by the Neanderthals.

The idea of another Intelligent species on the planet besides us is intriguing, maybe that was the boost that started Civilization, the intermingling?

Neanderthals had harder births due to their larger skulls, lower population as a result etc. That with the findings of the ancient art we know they where creative at the least.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

The idea of another Intelligent species on the planet besides us is intriguing, maybe that was the boost that started Civilization, the intermingling?

Neanderthals had harder births due to their larger skulls, lower population as a result etc. That with the findings of the ancient art we know they where creative at the least.

I've always wondered what the world would be like if Neanderthals were the dominant species. I wonder if their big heads would be as big as ours.. metaphorically speaking.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's interesting. Piece by piece, we're slowly uncovering the distant past. Hopefully one day anthropologists can finally come to a consensus explaining why Neanderthals became extinct.

Since they did interbreed, that explains why people with African heritage have relatively little or no "Neanderthal DNA".
edit on 7/2/2012 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

That's whats also a mystery to me. How much influence did they have on our development?

That's still controversial in certain circles as to who exactly were the artisans.

Stay tuned on that one.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's interesting. Piece by piece, we're slowly uncovering the distant past. Hopefully one day anthropologists can finally come to a consensus explaining why Neanderthals became extinct.

My theory is that we crowded them out while simultaneously diluted their lines by interbreeding with them. We "Modern man" absorbed [so to speak.] them into our lines.

Which is why most people on the planet have their DNA. .

Since they did interbreed, that explains why people with African heritage have relatively little or no "Neanderthal DNA"

That's true of sub Sahara Africans. The lines never mixed that far into Africa.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Take a good look at the facial features of an elderly person - the brows are heavier and the nose and ears are larger in comparison.

Now add 600 to 700 years on to their lifespan.

= "Neanderthal"

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Can you please elaborate further?
I think I know where you're going with this but I have a twist.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Very good one Slayer, yes just shows how far our ancestors spread. Now the research (I believe) is looking to see how and when the Denisovians, Neanderthal, HSS and any other old lines interbred.

The more complicated it gets the more interesting it becomes!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Neanderthals had harder births due to their larger skulls, lower population as a result etc.
Well I'm not so sure about this one as there are several species on earth whose population fluctuate regardless of their physiology..in this case size of the head. Often times, the physiology of most species changes drastically from the time they're born to adulthood. I'm sure the pelvic region evolved equally in the neanderthal females to accomodate the passage of large head during birth (atleast if one believes in the theory of evolution by darwin).

...more recent genetic studies seem to suggest that modern humans may have mated with "at least two groups" of ancient humans: Neanderthals and Denisovans.[88]...

While modern humans share some nuclear DNA with the extinct Neanderthals, the two species do not share any mitochondrial DNA,[89] which in primates is always maternally transmitted. This observation has prompted the hypothesis that whereas female humans interbreeding with male Neanderthals were able to generate fertile offspring, the progeny of female Neanderthals who mated with male humans were either rare, absent or sterile.[90]
Can this really be a valid hypothesis? This seems to suggest that it was more to do with questionable fertility of the female neanderthals (due to any number of reasons it can change) which might have prompted the males to seek out modern human females for breeding. Ofcourse InterSpecies couples

Neanderthal_Wikipedia
S&F

edit on 2-7-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

edit on 2-7-2012 by hp1229 because: typo

edit on 2-7-2012 by hp1229 because: typo

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
Take a good look at the facial features of an elderly person - the brows are heavier and the nose and ears are larger in comparison.

Now add 600 to 700 years on to their lifespan.

= "Neanderthal"

Then explain the neanderthal children that have been found. A 500 year old child?

It is perfectly reasonable to say humans were in east Asia long before coming to Europe. There were ice caps covering Europe 100,000 years ago. Humans don't do well on ice caps. They need oceans nearby to get food. That's why few people live in Antarctica. The ice only melted 12,000 years ago. Until then east was the only way to go.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Oh, and if humans could mate with neanderthals and denisovians that could only mean they were merely other races and not separate species. It is like if all the Asians and blacks died out. Thousands of years from now they'd say the same about them as we do the neanderthals and denisovians today.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Very good one Slayer, yes just shows how far our ancestors spread. Now the research (I believe) is looking to see how and when the Denisovians, Neanderthal, HSS and any other old lines interbred.

I'm holding out for one more missing piece.

HSS, Denisovians, Neanderthals and X = ?

The more complicated it gets the more interesting it becomes!

Side note.

I think they'll find the answers to many "Genetic abnormalities" once they figure who struck Paul and went where etc

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie
It is perfectly reasonable to say humans were in east Asia long before coming to Europe. There were ice caps covering Europe 100,000 years ago. Humans don't do well on ice caps. They need oceans nearby to get food. That's why few people live in Antarctica. The ice only melted 12,000 years ago. Until then east was the only way to go.

They needed fresh water and a mild climate until they figured out how to make clothing and come up with a way to access the resources in the sea beyond the tide line.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Interesting development. Great find. It will be interesting to see what come of this. Is it possible that these are the ancestors of the Mongoloid peoples?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie

The land area in question was relatively more productive than Europe at the time.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Non African's have up to 4% Neandertal DNA, so a lot of humanity is still part Neandertal.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Giving this thread one last shameless bump then off into the Abyss....

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Then explain the neanderthal children that have been found. A 500 year old child?

Where are people getting neanderthals lived that long?

According to this:

Dying young was not likely the reason Neanderthals went extinct, said a study out Monday that suggests early modern humans had about the same life expectancy as their hairier, ancient cousins.

Modern man had about the same life expectancy as them.

The squat, low-browed Neanderthals lived in parts of Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East. Their last known refuge was Gibraltar.

Add that to the graphic of the op makes sense that the ice age covered a great area that left lower latitudes perfect for the neanderthals.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
So it looks like Asia, and China in particular may have been the very cradle of modern humanity? I tend to see why, and given that certain parts of Asia like southern China, parts of India, and South East Asia would be similar to the temperate conditions found in Africa. Still, the whole evolution thing is like one sick jigsaw puzzle. It is common knowledge that Neanderthals were in the Middle East, Europe, and Western Asia during the Ice Age. In fact, some scientists have gone on the record as stating that the Neanderthals even thrived in those conditions compared to our early ancestors.

Small stocky bodies were supposedly well suited for survival in subzero conditions. My question is where did the Neanderthals come from, and when did they leave their point of origin? It seems that Neanderthals were inhabiting their ranges long before modern humans ventured onto the scene. I have followed the subject of this subspecies, and I have yet to find any information of Neanderthals bones being found in Africa? There have been finds similar, but nothing in the geological record on par with what has been found in the areas mentioned earlier.

List of Neanderthal sites

Nothing in Africa regarding the anatomically correct Neanderthal? That is weird. As for the disappearance of the Neanderthal? I think they may have vanished through absorption [interbreeding] and competition over hunting grounds. No one size fits all approach. This species is becoming more or more common with modern humans with each new discovery. I have heard theories about them communicating with one another as we do, burying their dead, caring for sick and injured, use of tools, artwork, and many other feats that bring them into the fold of being practically human. Fascinating subject!

edit on 3-7-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join