It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Warships Arrive at U.S. Pearl Harbor for Joint Drills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
According to a Russian news article, Russian warships have arrived at Pearl Harbor.

The purpose is to take part in a joint military exercise called "Rim of the Pacific international drills" (aka "RIMPAC")

The Washington Post says it's true, and the exercises will involve 22 nations.

article from RIA Novosti -- June 30, 2012

A group of Russia’s Pacific Fleet warships has arrived at the U.S. Pearl Harbor naval base to take part in the Rim of the Pacific international drills, a fleet spokesman said on Saturday.

“During their long voyage from Vladivostok to Pearl Harbor, the warships’ crews held several firing drills, successfully destroying all the targets,” First-Rank Captain Roman Martov said.

The naval task group comprising the Admiral Panteleyev destroyer, the tanker Boris Butoma and the Fotiy Krylov salvage tug sailed off Vladivostok in the Russian Far East on June 13 to head for the U.S. Hawaiian Islands where the RIMPAC-2012 large-scale international naval exercises will be held.

The active phase of the drills will take place from July 11 through August 2 to involve 45 warships and support vessels from 22 countries, and also 100 combat aircraft and over 20,000 marines.
source (rian.ru)

article from The Washington Post -- June 29, 2012

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii — Some 25,000 sailors and other military personnel from 22 nations are converging on Hawaii starting Friday to practice hunting for submarines and catching pirates in the world’s largest naval exercises.

The U.S. Pacific Fleet is hosting the Rim of the Pacific exercises, which take place every two years in Hawaii and surrounding waters.

Countries from Japan to Tonga and Russia to Chile are sending 42 surface ships, six submarines and 200 aircraft to participate in the series of drills, which takes place over the next five weeks.

Participants will train to clear mines, dispose of explosives and come to the aid of civilians in natural disasters, among other drills.
Washington Post

RIMPAC;

RIMPAC, the Rim of the Pacific Exercise, is the world's largest international maritime warfare exercise. RIMPAC is held biennially during June and July of even-numbered years in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is hosted and administered by the United States Navy's Pacific Command, headquartered at Camp H. M. Smith near Salt Lake, in conjunction with the Marine Corps, the Coast Guard, and Hawaii National Guard forces under the leadership of the Governor of Hawaii. The U.S. invites allied military forces from the Pacific Rim nations to participate.

With RIMPAC the United States Pacific Command seeks to enhance interoperability between Pacific Rim armed forces, as a means of promoting stability in the region to the benefit of all participating nations. Pacific Rim nations face several "hot spots" of potential armed conflict, such as the threat of the People's Republic of China invading Taiwan in the event of its declaration of independence and North Korean aggression towards South Korea, the United States, and Japan.
RIMPAC

I wonder what if any, "secrets" will leak out ?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
My first thought was how will the Americans and the rest cope in a drinking contest with the Russians once the exercise is over and the partying starts and the vodka comes out

And a word to the American soldiers if you see floor cleaner and salt near each other put the glasses away and leg it

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I just hope nothing will happen, like it did in "Battleship" movie...

Other that that...why is this in WW3 thread?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Fascinating such activity takes place given international tensions...perhaps will be good!
May the righteousness be with the people and the land, for far too much desecration of the sacred islands by misused military force has lead us blind on our spiritual path, PONO ~ do what is right!

∞♡♡∞

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I have participated in two RIMPAC exercises. Both of them where a lot of work but very rewarding.

The best thing about both of them though was definitely the visiting Australians, had some great times with those guys out on town after the exercises where over.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Sneeky Russians LOL.Copying the old Greek Trojan Horse trick.Delivering the payload right to your back door
Or Mars attack,we come in peace

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I did two RIMPAC's, they were actually alot of fun, very good training.

The Russians are contributing three ships to the exercise..

RFS Admiral Panteleyev, a Udaloy class destroyer.
RFS Fotiy Krylov, a salvage tug
RSF Boris Butoma, an ocean tanker

Quite the armada.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Just reading up on RIMPAC. It seems my previous comment was misinformed.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Strakha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
My first thought was how will the Americans and the rest cope in a drinking contest with the Russians once the exercise is over and the partying starts and the vodka comes out

Does Ireland have its own navy? They could give the Russians a run for their money when it comes to drinking. (Obviously, they wouldn't be in a 'Rim of the Pacific' excercise, just sayin' there's someone out there who can probably keep up with them.)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
We used to love it when RIMPAC was happening. We'd almost camp out behind the Hickam Officers Club and watch the ships go in and out. There was an actual Ships Information line that would tell you what ship was leaving or arriving over the next three or four days. That line was pretty much permanently on.

There is an old "fleet" anchored by Leeward Community College that will lose one or two ships during the exercise. They have everything from old LSTs to the USS Tarawa. My friend that lives there said they have a couple in West Loch preparing for RIMPAC. They'll tow out somewhere and get some live fire training in from the ships and aircraft.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Yeah, they do this every year during the summer.
Go back to 2004, look up the Aussie Bloke hoax, and you'll find this listed as being one of the “proofs” that we were going to be hit by an asteroid. Supposedly, according to that hoax, all the Navy drills were to get the ships off the continental shelves and out into the deep seas.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Every two years actually. I used to get bummed out every other summer, because we didn't have tons of different planes and ships coming in.

top topics

join