It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a closet prepper?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
By this, I mean do you have a prepper mindset, but have to kind of hide the agenda with other excuses to get the spouse and family on board? If so, what excuses do you use?

I'm lucky, in that we in FL already have a mindset of prepping a bit for the Hurricane Season (June 1-Nov 30). But, that's usually only ensuring a two-week supply of anything we'd need. My "prepper" planning is more on the order of handling around 10 people for at least 90 days to six months, with other sustainability planning for longer periods (such as agriculture, etc.)

So, when stocking up past the two-week mark, I try and be a bit discreet about it.

The country lifestyle (with growing and canning veggies) kind of lends itself to prepping anyhow, so this is the route I'm trying to take in it, getting them interested in gardening and canning. To ensure even the ladies know how to shoot, etc., they go to the range, with the reasoning that they may need to shoot a pest, snake, etc. or even an intruder, when living out in the boonies.

So, do you try to "prep" your friends and loved ones, without them really realizing it?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I live in SC and prep for Hurricaines. Personally hurricaines are the least of our worries. I prep for 6 months of isolation. Including weapons, ammo, medical supplies, solar power, natural gas and every other thing you could and can imagine

Good luck to all, better to be prepared than not. My home insurance cost more for one year than 6 months of survival supplies do. Only common sense and like an extra insurance policy!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I am in NC and also prep for Hurricane season. I have been quietly stocking up on a few things. I have a neighbor who is into it quite heavy and we discuss thinks often. I think the collection of goods is important, but establishing a trusted group ahead of time will be more valuable than anything. One of the big things we discuss is what do we do when the heard of people we know that did nothing to prepare and laughed at the "preppers" come knocking. Food supply only lasts so long.

I had him read One Second After so he would know why I was so adamant about making tough decisions early. If you haven't read it, you need to.

I am also happy to have a position close to, but not too close to the ocean. Food sources will be in short supply after a while, and I already like seafood.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Given where I live in the UK most of the people around me will probably be dead in a week or two as most of them couldn't live without cheap microwaved foods, so if you can survive a week or two you'll have most of the area to yourself (just need to pop down the road to the country sports shop to pick up a 12bore and a few boxes of shells and job done) so all i need is enough to survive a week or two and i'll spend the rest of my life as a king

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I learned the importance of prepping while living in Coastal South Carolina back in the mid 90's. A couple of Hurricane evacuations taught me that lesson rather quickly. Now that I'm up north, I've sold my spouse on the concept of prepping for tornadoes and snow storms and even seasonal power outages. Our grid is getting a work out today with temps in the mid 90s. Anyway, I try to down play any other more ominous scenarios to keep things calm with the wife and kiddos.

It's been a slow process but my wife now understands what drives my madness
It gives her a comfortable piece of mind knowing that we have the capability to weather any short term circumstances. A well stocked pantry and supply cabinet just makes sense!!

Now, if I could just get her to join me on the firing range.... That's another task in itself.... baby steps...

Cheers!!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I hear you, I am going to Palmetto State Armory shooting range on highway 170 in a couple weeks, got a new .357 mag to break-in!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bernierhome

That's right in my old neck of the woods (the greater Hardeeville Metro area
). Great area! I miss the shrimp and oysters!! Have fun!
edit on 29-6-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I convinced my wife that it's important for everyone to understand firearms and firearms safety, if we're to keep them in the house. She actually had fun learning to shoot, once she tried it. Both women in my household are pretty good shots, so anyone who mistakes them for helpless victims won't live to make that mistake again...

The locked gun closet idea has turned out great, by the way. This way, the guns are easy to access if needed, but when kids are over, I can lock them up safely, and out of sight.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well I came out as a prep to my folks a year or two ago. Still get the odd smile from them from time to time, but seeing as I am downwind from the Olympic village here in London, it's better to put some food and water away now (no guns unfortunately as I'm obviously in the UK) to help out with the empty shelves in the supermarkets caused by the erratic deliveries and extra people making a nuisance of themselves during the event than starve later. Prepare for the worst, as they say. It's going to be mayhem, so I've warned a close circle of friends and family to prepare too. Odd thing is, with the Olympics so close, and what I'm telling them about the food situation during the Games sounding so plausible, they seem to finally get it. Should the Olympics go off without a hitch, then perhaps what I have shown them now will remain part of their lifestyle too, which can't be bad.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I would love to prepare for when the SHTF but there is so many different scenarios to plan for im a begginer really i have a torch which i am proud of because that is the first thing i have got but i dont know what to get next because i dont know what im actually planning for so i hope the S never HTF

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dino23uk
I would love to prepare for when the SHTF but there is so many different scenarios to plan for im a begginer really i have a torch which i am proud of because that is the first thing i have got but i dont know what to get next because i dont know what im actually planning for so i hope the S never HTF

Seriously, this can be daunting. Start small, with day to day stuff. Get a good torch, or three, a nicely stocked medical kit for your house (including painkillers and spare medication if you need it), and most importantly READ. I can't stress that enough - there are very many websites offering advice out there, and no matter the situation they all have certain items that seem to keep coming up (gaffa tape for example). Half of everything is luck, the other half is research. The websites won't be there after the SHTF, so use them now I say!

Good luck...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RebelWithoutASoul

Thankyou very much for your advice i am googlin away so to speak and thankyou again

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Most people I am friends with deny all the realities of the impending end of our time. I live in australia and a lot of people have the "she'll be right mate" attitude. I have been buying mostly military items at the moment and telli g people it's for paintball and other assorted BS stories when in reality, there's a chance they will be thanking me later for having this stuff.

It's hard doing it alone tho. I have left it a bit late and was hoping to have some sought of underground shelter at least started by now. I'm expecting a baby soon and it makes a great reason to stockpile food and nappies etc. Just for future purposes.

Does anyone know of any survivalists in Australia? (Queensland) preferably

Cheers

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I had a hard time convincing the wife to start prepping. Then she went on line and found millions of other people stalking up. Now she's more into it than I am, making sure we have a few months of supplies in stock. Keeping the normal foods we usually eat is not really prepping, it's a money saving venture. Our expenditures on gas going to and from the store when we make supper saves us a lot of money. Most times you are missing one thing for a dish and going to the store gets impulse buying. It costs about two-three dollars to go to the store and back. We were going at least four days a week before starting this reorganization process, now it's maybe twice a week.

Yes I am a closet prepper, I tell noone around here. Seems I am no where near alone in this venture though, I found many of the people I know have also started too and some always have. It's important to keep this quiet anyway, some of the old people say they had people always coming to their house when times were tough. They came to visit and asked for food because they knew they had it. Keep it quiet they tell me. People in their seventies and eighties are the ones you want to talk to. I stay in the closet for security reasons, not because I worry about ridicule.

Having a couple of months of food is not a serious prepper though, I doubt if I would acquire a years worth, it would be hard to rotate that much.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I'm with you bro. I have a 500cc dirt bike, a 12 ga. riotgun, Glock 9mm and a decent kit. God I'm glad I don't have kids.
They will get you killed eventually. Mobility is the key to survival. Hunkering down will just get you burned out and your stash stolen.

Bring it!!!

or perhaps work for justice and a solution.....nah....that's no fun!!!
edit on 2-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dino23uk
I would love to prepare for when the SHTF but there is so many different scenarios to plan for im a beginer really i have a torch which i am proud of because that is the first thing i have got but i dont know what to get next because i dont know what im actually planning for so i hope the S never HTF

Hey dino

You'll find some great advice here, but just take it easy, don't get too swamped with it and make sure it's realistic for your suroundings.

Personally, and this is just my personal opinion, but i would say start with a two week supply of everything you would need to live on. Food, water, cash (yes some stores will still be open and most will take cash), meds, an alternative form of shelter if for some reason yours becomes unhabitable. That could be having a relatives house in mind to stay at or a tent.

I would also advise you to buy what you would normaly buy. Don't get thousands of the cheapest teabags if you usualy use good ones. When you need a cuppa the most, you won't want the crap ASDA value range that you struggle to get any brown out of! (Been there, done that).

Power cuts are a huge to Brits, even if it's for a few hours. Get a basic power cut kit. Tupperware box containing stuff like...

light/glow sticks
candles
lighters
torches
spare batteries (decent ones, not pound shop crap...they have next to no power in them)
Emergency numbers
Old style plug in phone. Cordless ones won't work.
spare cigs/tobbaco if you smoke.

Remember, if the power goes out, most shops close.Water and food is a must.

Make sure your docs are up to date and easily accessible. Preferably in a bug out bag if you want. (you can get advice on go bags or "Bug Out Bags" on this forum.)

My mindset has changed a lot since i started prepping. Used to be preparing for almost a plst apocalyptic scenario, then after years of wasting money on stuff i'd never need, and never used, i settled down and just take it easy now. Me and the kids are sorted, the worst that happens in the UK is power cuts and maybe the odd flood, so we just ride it through in comfort now.

Most importantly, don't take any notice if anyone says anything, Don't even bring it up unless you have to. Just smile to yourself when things go pearshaped.

CX.

CX

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
God I'm glad I don't have kids.
They will get you killed eventually.

If you have them though, bring the kids up like you prep....they might just save your life one day.

CX.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

God I'm glad I don't have kids.
They will get you killed eventually.

If you have them though, bring the kids up like you prep....they might just save your life one day.

CX.

Oh right....it's just gonna be a big hippie commune huh?

"The Road" will look like a Sunday school picnic.

CX

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Depends what you are prepping for, and i certainly don't think that the end game would be one big hippy commune.

All i'm saying is, kids are not as useless as one may think. Sometimes they can be more usefull than someone running round thinking they are Mad Max. Now that will get you killed.

CX.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Depends what you are prepping for, and i certainly don't think that the end game would be one big hippy commune.

All i'm saying is, kids are not as useless as one may think. Sometimes they can be more usefull than someone running round thinking they are Mad Max. Now that will get you killed.

CX.

Perhaps, but I'd rather go down with honor outside in the open air, than hiding in a stinking hole scared ****less that someone's gonna get my stuff.

I guess it's just a personal preference...

"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."

--A. Sachs
edit on 2-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join