It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Lady Michelle O: No TV for kids, Must Read if you have kids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Sometimes not all of the time obesity is a genetic inheritance, sometimes not all of the time its the parents who are at fault for not paying closer attention to their kids.Well, Michelle Obama has an idea for controlling your kids for you. Before you say for African American kids it's in the article "Change starts with each of us...." While some of he things she says about homework. parent teacher meetings and good role models are correct its still none of the governments business.

They won't be happy until they're in control in every aspect of your life.

P.S. I grew up watching TV, but I wasn't overweight.

Washington Examiner

"What about all those kids growing up in neighborhoods where they don't feel safe; kids who never have opportunities worthy of their promise? What court case do we bring on their behalf? What laws do we pass for them?" she added.With no laws to use to change habits, she told the crowd it's up to them to help the new generation succeed."Change absolutely starts with each of us, as individuals, taking responsibility for ourselves and our families because we know that our kids won't grow up healthy until our families start eating right and exercising more. That's on us," she said. "We know that we won't close that education gap until we turn off the TV, and supervise homework, attend those parent-teacher conferences, and serve as good role models for our own children."

edit on 29-6-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add

edit on 29-6-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2

Change absolutely starts with each of us, as individuals, taking responsibility for ourselves and our families because we know that our kids won’t grow up healthy until our families start eating right and exercising more. That’s on us. (Applause.) We know that we won’t close that education gap until we turn off the TV, and supervise homework, attend those parent-teacher conferences, and serve as good role models for our own children. That’s on us.

Source

Sounds like she's advocating personal responsibility, to me. How exactly is her opinion about TV meant to "control" us?

Silliness!

edit on 6/29/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I could care less what Michelle says. But I do not let my daughter sit in front of the tv all day because I don't want her to be hypnotized and programmed by all the bs on it. She prefers to go outside and play with friends anyway.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

You're a good parent. Especially now when they have so many "messages" in many of the tv programs, its definately good to encourage other activity.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Just the part where she says "What laws do we pass for them" Oherwise it looks o.k.

link   

Just the part where she says "What laws do we pass for them" Oherwise it looks o.k.

link   
No tv for kids sounds like a winner to me. Everyone knows tv lowers IQ points. FOX news is living proof of that.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
No tv for kids sounds like a winner to me. Everyone knows tv lowers IQ points. FOX news is living proof of that.

Television was designed for that purpose. So, the big question is, what do they intend to replace it with?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Maybe you watched a little too much TV, because your reading and writing skills leave something to be desired.

The WHOLE POINT of what Michelle Obama was saying in your quote was that it's not up to the government to fix families - it's up to the families to fix families. Hello?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
She seems compassionate about the issues with the youth today. No I am not for gov. control of the populace but I do understand if they are willing to assist to help out. HELP/SAFETY is needed in many of the problem neighborhoods as well as education upgrading??? Can you imagine growing up not well educated in an area where you feel unsafe but cannot depend on police because you may get killed fro doing so DUE TO YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD BEING UNSAFE AN RAN BY DICTATORSHIP??? Then having to accept YOU cannot depend on police for protection SO YOU MUST ARM YOURSELF and your not even 13 years old yet... Then having to go to school and concentrate on learning, SMH its not a fun experience @ all
so help again is needed. As far as obese children issues as long as its not shoved down the throats 1 hopes well thought out programs can be made that will allow for the children to find health related outlets (sports / health education centers that are fun to be part of COMMUNITY BASED AND MONITORED/PROTECTED/locally FUNDED w/ gov funding supports. This in turn will teach the children the risk in eating wrong and possibly drug abuse from cannabis to ciggs to beer to liquor ect. So I wish her luck, I like how she was doing the garden with the youth so she seems again to care..

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

You're a good parent. Especially now when they have so many "messages" in many of the tv programs, its definately good to encourage other activity.

If someone on the board "controls" their child, it's OK, but if Michelle Obama even SUGGESTS that we all do the same, she's some sort of control freak?

And read your own source again. She's not talking about laws to pass to keep kids from watching TV.
She's talking about laws that will enable kids to feel safe and have opportunities OTHER than watching TV and getting into trouble.

I'm afraid your thread is a complete fail.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Thread title: First Lady Michelle O: No TV for kids

So I assume her children no longer watch TV. If the do then it's crapola.

The toy companies will go beserk

Yeah, I know, someone will say that's not what it is all about, but that the title.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
You are right Michelle.

Its up to the families.

So mind yours and let them mind theirs.

Kids should be healthy. To that Im sure we can all agree.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
With all the problems this family is causing for the country, this is what you picked up on? I am no fan of O or his wife, or any of his followers but this message is sound and compassionate and one i wholly agree with. I see not one of the the paranoid insinuations you made about it. I hate to say this but star and flag for Michelle O.

Unless this is just a stepping stone to implement some of the laws she alluded to.

edit on 29-6-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
And the problem with what she is saying is? Really it is ok to not care for someone's politics but really a large part of the problems we face as a country is exactly what has caused this to get posted with a completely mischaracterized title. She is advocating parental responsibility and involvement in their child's life and you turn it into some kind she wants to control your kids issue. She has done absolutely nothing that is neither expected of or has not been done as a First Lady. She has picked a social issue and has advocated for it without making it political. Maybe if instead of reading it for what it says you are reading it for whatever obscure reference you can make it into. Both Mrs. Bush advocated childrens literacy, Mrs. Reagan's was drug awareness yet no one was calling them control freaks over it.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Uhhh I used to watch a ton of tv....

I mean a lot ! I loved cartoons and other shows and would be in front of that tv almost every day.

I'm nowhere near fat. I actually need to gain weight tbh..

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Sometimes not all of the time obesity is a genetic inheritance, sometimes not all of the time its the parents who are at fault for not paying closer attention to their kids.Well, Michelle Obama has an idea for controlling your kids for you. Before you say for African American kids it's in the article "Change starts with each of us...." While some of he things she says about homework. parent teacher meetings and good role models are correct its still none of the governments business.

P.S. I grew up watching TV, but I wasn't overweight.

Washington Examiner

"What about all those kids growing up in neighborhoods where they don't feel safe; kids who never have opportunities worthy of their promise? What court case do we bring on their behalf? What laws do we pass for them?" she added.With no laws to use to change habits, she told the crowd it's up to them to help the new generation succeed."Change absolutely starts with each of us, as individuals, taking responsibility for ourselves and our families because we know that our kids won't grow up healthy until our families start eating right and exercising more. That's on us," she said. "We know that we won't close that education gap until we turn off the TV, and supervise homework, attend those parent-teacher conferences, and serve as good role models for our own children."

edit on 29-6-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

i can see how you would be alarmed by the language in that excerpt. "what laws do we pass for them?" she asks... seems a little trigger happy with those laws in my eyes :mumble: passing 40,000 legislations in a year :cough: and i agree with you that the government just wants to pass more laws restricting our freedoms so that we conform to a more controllable society. -HOWEVER- what she says about turning off the TV, reading, supervising children's homework, participation in the child's schooling being the better way to bring our children's education up to par is absolutely true. i cannot disagree with that portion of the excerpt. you can't make me.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

If someone on the board controls their child it is o.k., the child belongs to them. Why do we need anyone in government and I say anyone telling people they need to do that. The child's welfare is up to the parent, and not the government, unless theirs cause for concern of child abuse, or criminal activities.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

No, you're right of course, there's alot of problems in this country, the Supreme Court just gave us one ginarmous problem. But when does it stop for them on capitol hill the constant meddling in peoples lives?

As long as the kids aren't abused, or into any kind of crime, let 'em watch the idiot box, (hopefully with moderation) or if the parents don't care then that's the parents fault.

When governments through with taxing us, the kids'll be lucky if their parents can afford that kind of entertainment for them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join