It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many ATS members have been put in a mental hospital?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
ATS definitely contributes to the notion that no one can be trusted because they are all trying to manipulate you. Possibly contributing to a schizophrenic mindset.

Critical thinking can help stave off the psychosis, but only for so long before it starts feeding on itself.

No, I haven't been to a mental hospital. Though I think ATS is a loony-bin all it's own.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

I was put in one when I was born on this planet..

Most of the Earths inhabitants are crazy, thinking that time exists, that they are their brains, that it matters what is on the TV, radio or in the newspapers. That their job is important. That the latest I (gadget) has to be theirs. That their looks ARE everything and Gaga / Beiber are briliant musicians.

PURE CRAZINESS I TELLS YA

Peace Out

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

No but in all seriousness I am sure there have been many. Me personally, I have never gone there, never felt the need, I cope in my own ways and dont feel the need to be pumped full of anything that I dont personally prescribe.

Sometimes people can have over active pineal glands, which opens them up to 'god' or whatever youd like to call it, the key is to try and remain centered while slowly incorporating these energies into your physical experience.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I used to work in a mental health unit and I never came across anyone who was sectioned who didn't need treatment, I helped people get better and helped them get their life back.
I came to a conclusion when working there, we are all a little insane but if your own insanity takes control of your life or effects your physical health or you become a danger to yourself or others that is when it can be dangerous.
I have helped assess people who were very "mad" but they continued to work and we thought they were no harm to themselves nor others and so they did not get sectioned they were just accessed for their med's and they saw the docs once a week.

There is a massive stigma about mental illness (even from general nursing and doctors) because if your body gets sick you can see whats up with it and treat it better but if you get ill in your mind you can not see it and it takes a lot longer to diagnose and treat.
People are afraid of others who say Iam mentally ill but 1 in 3 of us will suffer from a type of mental illness in our lifetime.
Plus the fact compared to cancer mental illness is still underfunded.
My advice for anyone suffering from any type of mental illness is to talk about it and tell the proffessionals the truth of how you are feeling.
Good luck to all PM me if you need to chat BM xxx

Oh and OP I have often read things on here and thought this poster is mentally ill, I could give names but that wouldn't be fair.
edit on 28-6-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

My uncle is in a mental institution does that count?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I love these responses! To be honest, they aren't what I expected... I was sure that I was going to get flamed for posing the question about the mental health of ATS members. The craziness has subsided for now,

I thought I'd just highlight a couple great statements...

boymonkey74

People are afraid of others who say Iam mentally ill but 1 in 3 of us will suffer from a type of mental illness in our lifetime.
Plus the fact compared to cancer mental illness is still underfunded.
My advice for anyone suffering from any type of mental illness is to talk about it and tell the proffessionals the truth of how you are feeling.

sir_slide

the key is to try and remain centered while slowly incorporating these energies into your physical experience.

nimbinned

Most of the Earths inhabitants are crazy, thinking that time exists, that they are their brains, that it matters what is on the TV, radio or in the newspapers.

Numbers33four

I will also add that it is the "crazy" who often see the truth because they are not encumbered with the bs of daily life. They not only see the truth that the sheeple miss, they obsess on it. This obsession with what lies beneath is just one of the things that makes them so unattractive to the world.

Not always the case, but I have seen this first hand...

CesarO

I truly believe at least 90% of the population is brain damaged, the worst part is that it is self inflicted, the other 10% are struggling to stay sane but the numbers quickly dwindle in the mist of this reality we are born into.

cavalryscout

A LOT!!!!!!

ManicDepresive1

I feel I am normal ( nice, positive,helpfull) 90% of the time, then the other 10% I am a raging butwad. But you cant win them all!!!

cavalryscout

Too many people looking for a scapegoat is the problem.

I would suggest that it has much to do with faulty pattern recognition software, maybe faulty is the wrong word... malfunctioning maybe.

Awesome comments yall... thank you for not going on the defensive with this question, I truly thought I was going to come back to a bunch of crazy folk pointing fingers at me for suggesting that this is the fact of the matter...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Oh and anyone who has been sectioned please don't feel bad about it, it is just the same as getting a physical illness, it isn't your fault it is just the way the brain is sometimes.
In the UK the law says that you have to say in job interviews etc that you have been sectioned which is bad in one way becuase the employer will rarely employ someone who has been sectioned (because they do not understand it)
So talk about your illness to family and friends together we can get rid of the stigma of mental illness and instead of people being afraid of it we can get people to show compassion for people suffering from it just like people show compassion for someone with a physical illness.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Oh and anyone who has been sectioned please don't feel bad about it, it is just the same as getting a physical illness, it isn't your fault it is just the way the brain is sometimes.

It probably is, objectively, but it's a stigma someone could carry for the rest of their days.

In the UK the law says that you have to say in job interviews etc that you have been sectioned which is bad in one way becuase the employer will rarely employ someone who has been sectioned (because they do not understand it)

I'd question that. As I understand it, potential employers aren't privy to applicants' medical histories without their express consent. Unless there's some kind of advanced vetting going on, they're not entitled to an answer either way.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Ill tell you this.. some days around here clean sheets and demerol or haldol sounds pretty interesting.
.. but I do know some "normal" people who oughtto be locked up.

hmmm.. was thinking the same.

If we only had eyes to see the secret lives of many psychiatric professionals,as well as other so called "respected" members of the medical and legal professions, we might be very shocked at who is getting to call the shots on "crazy".

I think a lot of very sane type people with great hearts, can go into overload, and derail at times. These types that may visit a ward to get back on track , but in reality are much more sane than many who will never visit a institute, because they are heartless, or seriously deranged.

Many psychopaths have been known to be quiet well mannered , and generally looked at in a positive light by their fellow workers, etc.

Point I am making, is do we really know what "crazy " is, by a few rants on website. Maybe the ones who are really dangerously crazy, are the seemingly very educated rational ones online. You really can't judge crazy or moral, by hospital visits, or online discussion, though it can be an indication to someone letting things become unbalanced.

I needed to add that I don't think all psychiatrists are 'crazy", and I'm sure many do their best in trying to understand and treat human behavior, but I also think there are those who if we knew their secret lives, would be labelled far worse than what they label others.

edit on 28-6-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I dont normally post things on here, thats if i ever have and i certainly never expected to be replying to a question on ATS like this one. I`ve been sectioned and also told to go in voluntarily to avoid sectioning. Its a shame theres not more people like boymonkey on here because there is massive stigma about mental health issues jeez even i still say to people "when i was in the nuthouse" . After the first time i was sectioned i was so paranoid because everyone knew and i tried to hide it but now am older i don`t care everyone knows about my struggle, and thats what it is, a MASSIVE struggle, with my mental health. At first people who didn`t know me or "friends" would giggle and think i was going round licking windows and stuff lol but all the people round me including nearly all my family and all my friends treat it as normal and i was suprised how many people from all walks of life have been in mental homes (or the nut house lol) and people ask me what it was like etc and i tell them. The fact is from my experiences mental homes aren`t how the majority think of them, the range of people you have in there differs from people who have severe depression right upto people who are placed under constant watch because they would try to take there lifes if they wasn`t then you have people who have abused drink or drugs and its made there brains fire differently or people who have just plain lost it and wonder about in there own world talking to God while continually smacking themselves on their head, but it is true unfortuantly even some doctors cannot get to grips with mental health and it is massively underfunded and as i have found out in the UK it really is a post code lottery as to what help you get. Also one thing which i think personally is that it is wrong to place certain names on certain problems. ie hes bi polar, hes schizophrenic i think that everyone with mental health issues can fall under a lot of different terms like that when i find a lot of people who suffers from mental health issues all have a broad spectrum of problems i myself have been diagnosed with so many different recognised mental health illnesses when truth is they haven`t got a clue as with a lot of patients and from my own experience if they can`t put a label on you like bi polar or scizophrenia they just dose you up to the eyeballs till your a dribbling non functioning wreck. Theres one thing though OP why did you ask this question? I hope it`s for the right reasons and not just to see if everyone on here is nuts cos they believe in aliens/ NWO/ufos et al, truth be told if you were to sit in a pub/bar the person your speaking to at the bar could be sufferering from mental health issues and you wouldn`t have a clue so there you go i hope av not stigmatised maself on here but it really is a subject which people tend to sweep under the carpet like unfortuantly my father who has a lovely habit of telling me on a regular basis and anyone else who`ll listen what a weirdo, freak nutcase i am he literally can`t converse with me because of his age hes stuck in the old beliefs of mental health and i think he thinks am suddenly going to go all doo lally on him and start trying to milk his goldfish and such stuff pmsl As is already stated 1 in 3 will suffer some form of mental health problems in there life be it mad with depression or an eating disorder because of all the media trying to make people insecure about there bodies which of course if you buy there products will help you to become a supermodel, mental health problems can destroy peoples whole lives, ruined relationships not just with partners but with family with your kids its a nasty problem and in the UK the stigma needs to be removed and more help for sufferers a lot of people have mental health problems and no one realise it, more so the person suffering from it and it can lead to tradegy or they self medicate with alcohol and drugs which only worsens it, so there you go sorry if i rambled on a bit and i really would like to know why you asked.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

Originally posted by Advantage
Ill tell you this.. some days around here clean sheets and demerol or haldol sounds pretty interesting.
.. but I do know some "normal" people who oughtto be locked up.

hmmm.. was thinking the same.

If we only had eyes to see the secret lives of many psychiatric professionals,as well as other so called "respected" members of the medical and legal professions, we might be very shocked at who is getting to call the shots on "crazy".

I think a lot of very sane type people with great hearts, can go into overload, and derail at times. These types that may visit a ward to get back on track , but in reality are much more sane than many who will never visit a institute, because they are heartless, or seriously deranged.

Many psychopaths have been known to be quiet well mannered , and generally looked at in a positive light by their fellow workers, etc.

Point I am making, is do we really know what "crazy " is, by a few rants on website. Maybe the ones who are really dangerously crazy, are the seemingly very educated rational ones online. You really can't judge crazy or moral, by hospital visits, or online discussion, though it can be an indication to someone letting things become unbalanced.

I needed to add that I don't think all psychiatrists are 'crazy", and I'm sure many do their best in trying to understand and treat human behavior, but I also think there are those who if we knew their secret lives, would be labelled far worse than what they label others.

Very true

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Never been admitted, though had a lot of counselling back at college for recurring nightmares that I still suffer from. Trust me - horrific nightmares + college stress + Lack of sleep + reading into all sorts of occult and paranormal topics + prepper/survivalist mentality = a breakdown waiting to happen. Personally I avoided urine-hued wall padding and 24 hour observation by making the decision early on to try and counterbalance my more outlandish Occult/Conspiratorial side with a healthy dose of Skepticism. That said, it has ended up with me in an odd position, whereby I can switch either world view (skeptic/believer) as I choose, while believing in nothing most of the time. Does raise a few eyebrows in both 'communities' when they realise that I also play for the opposing team, which is also kinda fun as well if I am honest.

Sanity is just a state of mind, I guess...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

Good for you to have the guts to post your story

I hope you do fine for the rest of your life fella and keep up the good fight

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Me... Post traumatic stress disorder.. It did not help me.. I treated myself in the end.. Im OK now..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join