It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea level rise jeopardize New York: USGS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You know...

On this story I'll just post what I've read and let you decide/discus/argue with yourselves the hows and why's of "Global Warming/Climate Change/Man made - cause and effect/Earth's Natural cyclical changes etc etc etc" or what have you.

The fact of the matter is the Earth is going through some changes [For whatever reasons] Russia, Canada and the US among a few others are already jockeying themselves for the North pole when it as projected becomes freer from ice and becomes much more accessible for commerce and resource exploitation.

Meanwhile, I've always wondered about the low lying coastal cities scattered about the Globe. Is history repeating itself?

Increasing rates of sea level rise to jeopardize New York: USGS

The latest Report
from the U.S. Geological Survey paints a cautionary tale for the East Coast. According to the report, rates of sea level rise are augmenting three-to-four times faster along the East Coast than they are globally. Increasing rates of sea level rise on the East Coast could spell disaster for major cities along the Atlantic coast, including cities such New York and Boston, the report warns.

The report says that sea-level rise from Cape Hatteras, North Carolina to Boston, Massachusetts (a 600-mile expanse of coastal zone called the “hotspot” by scientists) has grown 2-3.7 millimeters per year since 1990. For comparison, scientists say that the global growth rate over the same time frame was 0.6 -1.0 millimeter per year.

The report warns that if global temperatures continue to increase, rates of sea level rise along the East Coast are likely to continue growing. Scientists say this prediction is based on data and analyses that are detailed in the report.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Sea levels have always risen just gave a quick read to this: www.tmgnow.com... so history does repeat, and considering the earliest civilzations are now underwater "man made causation was not a contributing factor then, and yet " the ice caps are melting from man.

I really do think that far too many are over looking the Sun's solar cycles.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Its naive to think humans can pump how many billions of tons of chemicals into the atmosphere and there be no consequence to it. I also believe that solar system wide there is a current warming occurring, add this natural cycle to a unnatural cycle and you have big big problems.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I read a report that warns that if global temperatures may decrease with rates of sea level lowering along the East Coast are likely to continue. Scientists say this prediction is based on data and analyses that are detailed in that report.

Point?

It's all BS depending on who you want to believe.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Sea levels are falling .... fact.

end of

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I don't know if the rise and fall of the sea levels is gradually increasing, gradually decreasing or what the overall long term trend is, it's very difficult to get a handle on it when supposed legitimate studies (ahem... NASA) are found to be questionable and/or faked. So... in reality, perhaps it is true that Humans in the last century have contributed to the overall increase in global warming, I tend to believe this is true, but the question is how much does that contribution truly impact the natural trends, ebbs and flows? As for coastal and low lying areas being flooded out, won't be the first time a population has to relocate to higher ground, won't be the last time...
edit on 27-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AlchemicalMonocular

Well that sounds interesting. Could you provide us with a link?

I'd love to read how they came to their decision.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I agree.

Seeing as there are numerous ancient cities and villages underwater today, lost technology and ancient ruins, along with many islands, one would have to presume that the sea levels rise and fall almost in cycles.

So it comes as no surprise that the current "rise" will affect coastal cities.

It happened before, as it will happen again.

I am not 100% blaming humans though, and a carbon TAX won't stop it.
Because we all know how certain people want to raise revenue for themselves.
The entire "global warming" scheme is solid proof of their plans.

...and we all know that a global carbon tax will stop climate change dead in its tracks.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemicalMonocular
I read a report that warns that if global temperatures may decrease with rates of sea level lowering along the East Coast are likely to continue. Scientists say this prediction is based on data and analyses that are detailed in that report.

Point?

It's all BS depending on who you want to believe.

The only BS is see is the report you claim you have read.

got a link?

Actual science has actual data behind it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I have been looking at google Earth the last few days and really noticing the old shoreline in SC. It is plainly obvious that the ocean used to be 250 ft higher than today and it wasn't too long ago. If it was millions of years ago there would be more relief, more valleys. The area is sand and that is not resistant to erosion. It can be that high again.

At least it will if I can find some cargo planes so I can cover Antarctica with soot. That will melt it and raise the ocean to proper levels.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I took the fam on an old steam train in Santa Cruz and as we approached the top the engineer mentioned that a whale skeleton was discovered by the loggers on that mountain. Maybe an old tale
but it reminded me of how we are a dot in this earths history.

As always ;

edit on 6/27/2012 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie
I have been looking at google Earth the last few days and really noticing the old shoreline in SC. It is plainly obvious that the ocean used to be 250 ft higher than today and it wasn't too long ago. If it was millions of years ago there would be more relief, more valleys. The area is sand and that is not resistant to erosion. It can be that high again.

I'm curious what you mean by 'not that long ago'. Can you clarify? What kind of time frame do you have in mind?

At least it will if I can find some cargo planes so I can cover Antarctica with soot. That will melt it and raise the ocean to proper levels.

"Proper'?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
All I know is it's 100 degrees (F) here today and is supposed to stay this dang hot for a week!!! I'm MELTING!!!!
Of coruse, it's almost July and technically, I'm in the "South"....
Still don't like it though

new topics

top topics

join