It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Springs Apocolypse?! Waldo Canyon Wildfire 32,000 Evacuated, Many Houses/Buildings Burned!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Thanks for the update!! Been thinking about you all day.

Hope the better weather continues and the firefighters are able to hold the lines.

And again to everyone in the area, please be safe. My thoughts are with you all.

OiO

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Not much news coming across here now.. also at home on the dreaded dial up - which is slooowwww, if anything at all. Praying for ALL OF YOU!

okay - geez - i got slammed - modified my previous post - bs

To ones in the middle of such an event - by what ever natural event would appear in their eyes an apocalypse = IMHO - - contribute something constructive to help these poor folks going through "their apocalyptic event" -- - if you were harmed down under by the floods, I am sorry for that (imagine that was apocalyptic to you all there) ummhumm.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yes I completely agree such a terrible disaster with so many to be affected, hopefully the government will react quicker and not leave it to become the next Katrina, good luck!!
edit on 27/6/12 by masqua because: OT quote removed

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
One thing I`ll never understand in this day and age. With all the might we have in our Military why can`t we have a National Fire task force? You know like 100 jetliners ready to soak anywhere USA. It could be called Fema Fire squad.

I also think this might not be heavy on the news due to putting the idea out there. This might have been set? I`ve often thought these terrorist are not so here due to they don`t take advantage of nature doing things like this.

Sounds like you are close to this OP. My thoughts are for your safety and them getting this thing out. Hope all goes well.

This is what they need a fleet of.

We did! Obama cut this drastically and now the people of Colorado suffer.

Now you can live in a community shelter just as Obama had planned. His opinion is the Katrina people did it, why can't you? Why can't you? Are you better than they are? What makes you so special that the government has to come in and save you? Obama... "Let them eat cake.."

Obama says [snip] Colorado!
www.weeklystandard.com...

edit on 27/6/12 by masqua because: censor circumvention removed

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by MaMaa

Last I heard the fire here is about 15,500 acres. They will prolly survey it again later tonight and give us a revised figure tomorrow morning.
edit on 27-6-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

Fast growing.
That is how the High Park fire has been too, scary stuff.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
CNN just now reporting the FBI is investigating the wildfires. Earlier on in this thread, you will find links that indicate back on May 7th they acknowledged the threat of intentional arson encouraged by an "Inspire" magazine affiliated with al Qaida.

Knowing this, I am already wondering if our national security agencies have failed in acting on this threat in a proactive manner, if there's even a connection there at all. I usually scoff at the word Terrorism within the US, but not today.

The High Park fire was already determined to be lightening as was the Boulder fire and I swear I heard the Waldo fire too.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

First of all, I hope everyone over there ends up OK. Those are some pretty scary pictures

I don't know if this has been posted yet. If so, my apologies:

ag.arizona.edu...

This explains the weather patterns of typical monsoons. It's monsoon season now in the southwest, and Colorado is effected by the system that creates them. This is good news because just moisture in the air can help contain fires. It's also good because the higher in elevation you are, the more moisture you're going to have.

I'm assuming this next part, but as time passes with one monsoon system, doesn't the moisture level build up? I'm asking because Colorado, I think, typically gets the tail end of a monsoon system that starts in the southwest and travels northeast. If this is the case, then mother nature will definitely be of some help here.

I think what might help too is that the elevation there is 6,000 feet so they will have more moisture than points east of I-25 where the elevation drops drastically. Colorado Springs is right on the border of that elevation change.

www.9news.com...

travel.nationalgeographic.com...

I'm kind of a weather geek, so this story interests me on that angle as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
They are doing all they can to fight these fires, the federal government would just come in and piss on a bush and claim it can't be put out, let the state burn down and walk away. We don't need their kind of help.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
hmm hopefully I didn't speak too soon. Heavy smoke build up now, and several spot fires going on near Blodgett peak again.(neighborhood area) Winds may be helping to fan this again.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
wild fires are good for nature, the woods will rebound nicely

bad for people who built homes in the path of them

I hope everybody gets out ok

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Originally posted by Agarta
Woodland Park has just been designated as a Mandatory Evacuation Zone.

I grew up in Woodland Park. My parents still live there (they evacuated) as do many friends. It is quite possible that both my parents and I will lose our homes to this.

I still can't even fully process what is going on... It just doesn't seem real even after witnessing it firsthand.
edit on 6/27/2012 by xenthuin because: Addition

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by Wookiep

First of all, I hope everyone over there ends up OK. Those are some pretty scary pictures

I don't know if this has been posted yet. If so, my apologies:

ag.arizona.edu...

This explains the weather patterns of typical monsoons. It's monsoon season now in the southwest, and Colorado is effected by the system that creates them. This is good news because just moisture in the air can help contain fires. It's also good because the higher in elevation you are, the more moisture you're going to have.

I'm assuming this next part, but as time passes with one monsoon system, doesn't the moisture level build up? I'm asking because Colorado, I think, typically gets the tail end of a monsoon system that starts in the southwest and travels northeast. If this is the case, then mother nature will definitely be of some help here.

I think what might help too is that the elevation there is 6,000 feet so they will have more moisture than points east of I-25 where the elevation drops drastically. Colorado Springs is right on the border of that elevation change.

www.9news.com...

travel.nationalgeographic.com...

I'm kind of a weather geek, so this story interests me on that angle as well.

Never seen anything even resembling monsoon type weather in Colorado, not in my 37 years. It has cooled off a little bit tonight and is 80 degrees compared to the last week of 101-109. It would take a few days of heavy rain to put these fires out, but we usually just get little short rains and they move on. Between rain it just drys back out.. Colorado to my knowledge does not believe in humidity. The foothills typically are cooler than east past I25, but it isn't a drastic drop in elevation, it gradually flattens out as you go east. Even up in places like Estes at 7522 ft it is still just hot and dry, not much moisture up there either. They just had a fire up there at the Beaver Meadows area entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, but they got that one contained thankfully. Last winter was pretty dry so there isn't a whole lot of moisture anywhere in the state, not even up in the mountains.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
it's on the news in calif right now....hills around boulder are,also ablaze...everyone be safe.....you are in my prayers

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Al Qaeda Muslim terrorists?
www.fireandreamitchell.com...

Were these fires set by Obama Terrorist allies? Obama seems to be ignoring the disaster like no other president would. With Katrina you had a Democrat Governor telling Bush to stay the heck out of the state. Obama cut the Air Force C130 fire fighting planes and sent them to Afghanistan. Colorado voted for the guy and he is killing them off.. Oh the irony!

I guess Colorado kind of deserves this. They went Blue in 2008 so I guess they don't mind sleeping with child molesters and rapists in community shelters. I''ll bet the Sandusky & Larry Brinkin crews are having a field day with Colorado children tonight.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by research100
it's on the news in calif right now....hills around boulder are,also ablaze...everyone be safe.....you are in my prayers

There are fires all over the place! The big ones would be the High Park fire near me (Larimer County), then the Boulder fires, then the C.Springs fire.. plus a handful of others. I heard there are currently 12 fires going in CO right now.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
Never seen anything even resembling monsoon type weather in Colorado, not in my 37 years. It has cooled off a little bit tonight and is 80 degrees compared to the last week of 101-109. It would take a few days of heavy rain to put these fires out, but we usually just get little short rains and they move on. Between rain it just drys back out.. Colorado to my knowledge does not believe in humidity. The foothills typically are cooler than east past I25, but it isn't a drastic drop in elevation, it gradually flattens out as you go east. Even up in places like Estes at 7522 ft it is still just hot and dry, not much moisture up there either. They just had a fire up there at the Beaver Meadows area entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, but they got that one contained thankfully. Last winter was pretty dry so there isn't a whole lot of moisture anywhere in the state, not even up in the mountains.

I guess I've got some more learning to do on this then. Thanks for clarifying that. I've never lived up there, but I study maps when I have some extra time ( In short supply these days) and I saw the patterns go from southwest to northeast, so I just figured......but I guess thin air = dry air. Yeah, I guess that does make sense. But the amount of snowfall in the winter, I just assumed there was a good deal of moisture up there.

I also get what people are saying about the Feds not doing anything. Or not much. Local people and agencies just need to band together and get these fires contained.

Godspeed to them all.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruckDriver69
Al Qaeda Muslim terrorists?
www.fireandreamitchell.com...

Were these fires set by Obama Terrorist allies? Obama seems to be ignoring the disaster like no other president would. With Katrina you had a Democrat Governor telling Bush to stay the heck out of the state. Obama cut the Air Force C130 fire fighting planes and sent them to Afghanistan. Colorado voted for the guy and he is killing them off.. Oh the irony!

I guess Colorado kind of deserves this. They went Blue in 2008 so I guess they don't mind sleeping with child molesters and rapists in community shelters. I''ll bet the Sandusky & Larry Brinkin crews are having a field day with Colorado children tonight.

Oh sure, yeah the elderly woman deserved to die in the fire did she? Or all of the families with children who have lost their homes deserved this? Have some freakin compassion [snip]! There are people all over the place risking their lives to save others, none of them deserve this. Since when does someone 'deserve' death and destruction from fires' simply because of who they vote for. OH and the fires were NOT set by terrorist, it's called LIGHTENING as determined already.
edit on 27/6/12 by masqua because: Edited personal attack

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Update: local volunteer firefighter gave me some info - they're doing a lot to contain and ensure that it doesn't jump 25, however my source also said that there is TONS of people waiting in the wings (tree cutters, national guard, etc.) willing to donate their time and equipment and everything and the gov. isn't giving them the go-ahead at all... purposefully dragging their feet.

however -- the fire does look to be doing better today -- the sun even peeked out from the clouds today for a few hours.

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join