It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Going On At Long Valley SuperVolcano?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

Supervolcanos are nothing compared to a trade backbone of the Internet for the 'middle' class. That is where women will be buying shoes ok? You don't want to get between them, and those shoes on sale.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BRIANMONO

BRIAN, thanks for offering up that explanation of the ordinance blasts. And that could very well be it because they most definitely seem bigger than the usual mine blasts- and that could explain the full spectrum frequency response on spectro. Where mine blasts usually have banding in the spectro, these look more like quakes with all those frequencies up to 25 hz showing hot right with it. They oughta be illegal I tell ya.

Not a whole lot fools me much anymore, but this one got me. It just won't get me again. And there's the learning. Also reminds me to check very carefully first for recurring patterns over days, something which I know, but just didn't do at first. And why should I? I'm not a pro, hey, just saw it and at first it looked bad. Like real bad. So what the heck, post it up, see what others say, and learn something from it. It's all good, and now I can watch the next one come through on realtime, and not flinch an inch. Issue the blast pass. That's what I want. To get better.

Once we know it's a blast though, we can safely resume just keeping a silent eye on it for all but the most questionable of events. Whether it's a mine or ordinance blast, the fact that it's a blast alone lets me breathe a sigh of relief. For a minute there I thought we might have massive magma intrusion headed northeast of the caldera.

But we don't, and all is pretty much cool for the time being. Except, for, that...uplift. Considering that after watching Jake Lowernstern just show a correlation between uplifts and seismicity at YS, and newly forming hydrothermal features on this killer Yellowstone video here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then it stands to reason that if uplift keeps occurring at LV, especially at an increased rate, which appears to be the case, then it could cause some additional things to happen. So it does bear keeping an eye on. And eyes on it there are. I just try to help an fill up the monitoring gaps...just in case....I see an ordinance blast.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

The graph links you provided do show quake activity, but they are not anything to worry about at the moment. Yes, one of the events did last a good 5 minutes, but the quake was low in magnitude. By the looks of it, it may be between a 2.2 and a 2.5 quake. I have been studying quake and volcanic activity for a few years now and the graphs you have shown are interesting by quake duration but nothing to raise an alarm to make people pack their bags and head toward the eastern coast states.

I have also noticed a few others who may be interested in other quake and volcanic activity reguarding the Yellowstone Supervolcano. I am going to add a link to an article about most of the once dormant geysers now are reawakening and are currently at full activity and I am also adding a link to a website that shows the harmonic data in the Yellowstone area as well.

Yellowstone Geysers Become Active Again After Dormant Periods

Yellowstone Seismogram Thumbnails

I hope this small bit of information helps some of you. Good luck in your research! If any other links are needed, just let me know and I will see what I have and add them asap.

Good work on this find OP!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Well if BRIANMONO's correct then that's a huge sigh of relief, and gratitude to him. But well done all the same for thread TrueArmerican - keep up the good work with your eagle eyes.

And if possible, lets keep our eyes peeled on this to make absolutely certain these were caused by detonations, hey!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
heh, well guess what...here comes another one right now, and right on schedule. Just coming in on realtime.

Yep, no doubt. Blasts. Looks the same as the others. Nasty looking. But yep...blasts.

Blast pass issued.

edit on Tue Jun 26th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
heh, well guess what...here comes another one right now, and right on schedule. Just coming in on realtime.

Yep, no doubt. Blasts. Looks the same as the others. Nasty looking. But yep...blasts.

Blast pass issued.

so we can breathe a sigh of relief but what the heck are they blasting?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae

Blast pass issued.

so we can breathe a sigh of relief but what the heck are they blasting?

Obama's panic room ?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I don't know what they are blasting, but the ordinance explanation is holding as much weight as any at this point in my book.

One reason my contact's info is always worth waiting on, is that person usually always goes that extra little mile to provide me with....well...extra goodies. Like this. This is a chart of the last many years of uplift of the resurgent dome at LV, and the rates of that uplift over time. As you can see, they are dead on with the comments they already provided, which I summarized above:

Yep, click it for the big picture.

Not sure if that is even on the USGS's site anywhere.

But as you can see, back in 98 or so, that rate of uplift over such a short period had to have at least a few scientists saying "hmm".

Overall, though, you can see where that uplift is headed. UP. Seems like this volcano is the one we'd better damn well keep an eye on.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Blast pass issued.

Blasts don't come in right on time....... trains do.

OK, just having fun, kind of, although I really do put a lot of credence in JKrog's old thread, and I do believe if such a network exists, it definitely has a node near LV.

TrueAmerican, I wonder if you could correlate that daily occurence with other daily occurences near the lines in JKrog's thread? New Mexico, Denver, Oklahoma, San Diego, etc. They would be small, long-term, cyclical events that wouldn't get any attention, but if they happen at regular intervals in coordiation with the LV regular intervals, it could be an extremely interesting project!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
TrueAmerican, I wonder if you could correlate that daily occurence with other daily occurences near the lines in JKrog's thread?

If there was enough initial evidence that it could be trains, I might. But that signature doesn't match the usual trains sigs seen before. The approach is always gradual, peaks and then tapers off on the waveform- for one. The frequency content is different, for two. So I would say probably not interested based upon those things alone, and there are more reasons, too. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Also, to more fairly put this "uplift" into perspective... I'd just like to mention that in 1980, Mt. St. Helens was showing uplift of FEET PER DAY, not measily cm/yr. In the grand scheme of things, this current rate of uplift seems insignificant in comparison. Well, that's one fair perspective.

But Long Valley isn't St. Helens. The volcanic systems are different, and the stakes, much higher with LV. This is uplift in the resurgent dome of a supervolcano we are talking about. And like Toba, and YS, which also have resurgent domes, one day humanity will know exactly how much uplift in a resurgent dome can be expected before mega boom. Assuming nothing wipes us out before that.

I think they should build huge embedded rock signs and put them dispersed at different points in all the calderas. That way when one finally does go, since the caldera eventually collapses into itself- chances are someone thousands of years from now will find one at least one of the signs...

"THIS, my friend, is a supervolcano. If you find this sign, congratulations. Yes, we made it for thousands of years as a race, but one of these eventually wiped us out. To find out if THIS was the volcano that did it, we have left very special sensors embedded deep in this rock. If you see a very large squiggle on your screen, that looks very bad and lasts for years, then yup, this could have been the one. Last updated: December 21, 2012."

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Good thread TrueAmerican, I learned a few things reading along

What does an atmospheric overpressure event like a sonic boom or thunderclap look like on a seismometer?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
well baring moles,,those frequencies ,,are Stress Cracks,,

think of bone snapping in slow motion,, the peak,, freq,, new seam.
seam movement,,,
its a guess.
how deep???

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
What does an atmospheric overpressure event like a sonic boom or thunderclap look like on a seismometer?

Probably something like this:

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

If anyone can find a spectrograph of one, that'd be cool...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

cool

mmmm,,,donut,,,lol
and a little donut

the amount of Vacumn just behind the Pilots head,,

hmmm,, vacumn,,what works on vacumn,, oh ya the Jet,, lol

edit on 26-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Heh,

I agree this should be illegal. The plumes that come from the East(east of Mono Lake) when I'm driving to work irritates me everytime I see them. This stuff CANNOT be healthy...but hey I digress. All I know is that seeing the aftermath(the plumes) of the detonations is commonplace around here. Especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Perhaps I'm wrong about the whole thing but I know(as its public info) that they detonate old explosives and they are very public about it being the "best" way to dispose of this old ordinance. It sucks and btw...the entire area from which they do the detonations is completely off limits to the general public. Not that I would be too interested in meandering through that cesspool of toxic ingredients.
Hopefully this is just the detonations TrueAmerican but it raises another question of which I am ignorant to the answer. Could these explosions possible add to the stresses of the Long Valley Calera and surrounding area? Who knows...just sayin.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRIANMONO
Could these explosions possible add to the stresses of the Long Valley Calera and surrounding area? Who knows...just sayin.

Having seen these events from the perspective of their propagation radius in realtime, with stations open extending all the way into the LV caldera itself and beyond, when they happened, I think I can answer that pretty confidently. Since the propagation radius did not extend beyond a point about 30 km or more away from the caldera, and I witnessed this, I think the answer to that is "probably not".

Scientists might have raised the red flags and shut them down if they were seeing constant energy getting into the caldera- but on the other hand, mine blast energy is making it near daily into YS park, coming from the east, and they are still operating- despite the fact that YS has responded before to seismic energy from at least one known instance: Denali. There is a substantial difference in power there though between large seismic S-waves, and mine blast energy- in all fairness.

Now if they could definitely see blasting triggering seismicity at one of the calderas- I have no doubt in my mind they'd shut em down ASAP.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

A quick update while we are on the topic of volcanic and quake events occuring. It appears that El Hierro is at it again! There have been over 421 small quakes recorded in the Canary Islands region for the past 3 days as of yesterday. I have not checked for the count for today yet, but they are saying that a surface quake is very likely to happen and it may be huge. If a massive quake does occur, it will cause a very large tsunami that will definately hit the eastern coastal areas of the USA!

Anyone who may wish to continue monitoring this event can check out the link below.

El Hierro Quake Swarm

It looks like a lot of major volcanoes are experiencing some type of activity lately due to an increase of magma. Keep your eyes open and your nose in the air for any odors of sulfur!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
No idea what it is but it's something that occured a couple of times before it seems and always around the same time of the day.

check also the

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

Yes, at this point the trace in question in the OP is explained as blasts of some kind to my satisfaction.

In the meantime, some other stuff going on behind the scenes with LV, discovered some other traces at a station in the LV caldera, most likely hydrothermal activity or man made, say the pros, but it is being checked on further. Will update later, if more info comes in.

But always helps when a pro says something to me like:
"Frankly, though, there's a great deal of interesting seismicity in the Long Valley area, some of which is downright scary. For example, the sequence in 1997-1998 has been interpreted as a magma-filled dike that came within a few kms of the surface."

*gulp*.

But does that mean it's going to erupt? No. Many other things would have to happen I think before scientists would raise the alert level at LV. It is just a very active system. I guess what my friends are trying to tell me is to stay vigilant, but reserved. Expect activity. It is what LV does. Making the call when activity reaches the danger point is one good reason they are there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join