It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Going On At Long Valley SuperVolcano?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Alot of peope are always concerned about Yellowstone, and La Palma, but have a tendenancy to forget there are other Supervolcanos too. Let's all hope that it's something minor, and will quiet down shortly. I'm no expert at looking at charts, but to se that doesn't look good to even a inexperienced novice. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Interesting thread TA....I'm wondering, have you checked any stations a bit further North? looking at the tremor map, it appears the only ones in the past day were in the Redding area. ofcourse, the array doesn't extend any further South than that, so it doesn't mean there weren't any in the area of the stations you mention. I am curious as to whether the times match up.

Waiting to see what the experts say...almost looks like some of the sigs up on Rainier earlier this year. (attributed to ice and melt/slides)
edit on 25-6-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Im a total doob at this but how far from the Three Sisters?Any way the whole off a larger area than most scientists generally look,.....sort of a major huge ground shift or volcanic event may be imminent for the whole of four or maybe more states?
Why not?
Maybe its all the major threats we keep hearing about getting ready to let go from one initial huge event....?
Or is there even anyone who correlates all the data for the whole country?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
interesting....will be keeping an eye on this for sure.....

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

God Damnit, TrueAmerican... I love your threads, but I also hate them at the same time

I honestly hope this is just some hiccup and nothing more, or even better, I hope its human error of some sorts and hopefully we are all worrying for nothing... The supervolcano here in the US is definitely a cause for concern, especially knowing that the brightest minds around the world dont even know how to handle it... I just hope I'm long long gone before that monster ever goes off.....

Anyways, thank you for you diligent work on this, and for bringing this to our attention... I am more then curious to read what your "experts" have to say about this...

S&F
edit on 26-6-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
USGS says activity is normal and no alerts are issued. LINK: volcanoes.usgs.gov...
(click on the "CalVO" tab underneath current alerts to see the relevant info)

I have seen swarms of quakes near Mammoth Mountain, and the Olancha area, on numerous occasions and the only result was warmer water temps at the local hot springs. This is actually pretty typical and I doubt there's anything to worry about. There were similar worries and huge swarms of quakes in the late 1980's....this latest episode seems mild by comparison. The likelihood for volcano doom at the Long Valley Caldera is very low for now.
edit on 26-6-2012 by BULLPIN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
what are the differences between the blue/red/green lienes?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
You make great posts and really know your subject matter, as well as keep track of a lot of data. Good job. I don't know much about this at all, so... I won't say much more, but I'll be watching the thread.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Here is a good link noting all the volcanic activity Earthquake Report volcanic activity...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
A little more info:

These stations are considered part of the Mono Lake volcanic field, even though they are some 40 km or so east of the actual lake.

The signal was received even stronger at LHV:
Here is the trace:
www.iris.edu...

Here is a screenshot of that:

Here is a small res spectro of that:

Here is a waveform view of that:

Note the uneven spacing of the peaks. Mine blasts usually have more even spacing between the peaks.

Note the long duration of this event, lasting some 5 and a half minutes!

Note the lack of spectral banding in the spectro of it. Mine blasts tend to be missing frequencies in some bands, while the shorts peaks in these clearly have all frequencies up to 25hz, more typical of seismic events.

I suppose it could be a mine blast, if the blast was very close to station. But then I would have to question why the spectro of this event registered at HCK (the trace you all saw in the op), 21 km away from LHV, showed no spectral banding either. What I am saying is this thing appears to have the power of a seismic event, and the spectral characteristics to match it.

I don't like it one bit. But I would be very happy, actually, if someone would provide good reasoning why and how this could be a mine blast. Otherwise, I am not being left with much other of a choice. It may well be a long period volcanic event.

And if it is, then what is it doing so far north and east of the caldera and lake? To be exact, HCK is 29.5 km east of the eastern edge of Mono Lake(ML), and LHV about 43 km northeast from the eastern edge of ML. To answer another poster's question, yes, it COULD be magma on the move. Then again, it could be gas or water causing it too. This is why the pros really need to get on this, imo.

Just saying. I am not an expert in these things, and all I can do is speculate with what little knowledge of the situation I have.

And STILL no response back from my contact. That is becoming curious in itself.
edit on Tue Jun 26th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Hey TA... I was going to compare this to "El Hierro" last year, I went to the webpage to give you a link and just seen that volcano seems to be waking up again... here is the link earthquake-report.com...

Alert increased to yellow, 94 earthquakes reported so far today.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Very interesting, I checked and it's early to tell for sure if anything more will happen but it may be an indication of something. Have you been keeping track of this long term or did you just stumble across it?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Have you been keeping track of this long term or did you just stumble across it?

Now THAT is a very good question. I watch LV from time to time, but nowhere near the amount of time I have eyes on Yellowstone. Still, I can't ever recall seeing a signature like this near LV. But I have picked up monitoring of both LV and YS, especially very late at night- because I know those are the times they are least observed. It would be best for someone who is watching LV all the time (like the guys at the LVO) to make a determination if this is something they've seen before, if it's normal, or what. That I can't answer, at least not to the degree that those guys can.

So far, it appears this signature came and went. I have seen no other like it since, which is a good thing. If this occurs again, around the same time as yesterday, and with a similar signature, that would help define this as a mine blast.
edit on Tue Jun 26th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

I always worry when you make threads like this.
Theres only a few of you on this site worth taking seriously. s+f TA.

Not to sound like a parrot but I see it the same way, only a few for me too! Thanks for posting this TA.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Its nice that people are watching this super volcano but what will anyone do if this thing does blow.

From what I understand if this thing even burps its gonna cause global cooling on a scale that hasn't been seen since the ice age.

If it really blows we are looking at a ELE situation.

so why all the fuss.

Enjoy the more stable times while we got them, SWHTF sooner or later. hopefully later.....

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Th3MissingLink

If it really blows we are looking at a ELE situation.

Not necessarily ELE.

Might just be a COTTE.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This figures...I am travelling to Montana tomorrow for the first time in my life...I'll probably be swallowed by lava....just great...I knew I should be staying home glued to ATS.

Good find OP

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Noob question of the day.
What's COTTE stand for?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by theduke269
reply to post by butcherguy

Noob question of the day.
What's COTTE stand for?

I second that...!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Whatever it is, it happens at approximately the same time of day, Monday-Friday: near lunch break on the west coast.

Check out this USGS spectrogram page for the past 15 days at station NN.HCK..EHZ.
Granted, the last 2 days aren't showing yet (for some reason, USGS started delaying them
), but if you go to the bottom of the page and work up, it looks pretty regular. It also seems to last at least 5 minutes, which rules out a calibration pulse in my mind.

Check out the same station, NN.HCK..EHZ, last Thursday the 21st of June (Day 173) on the above link. Now, here is the seismogram. It looks just like the one in the OP.

The area in question is located in Mineral County, NV. In this case salt and borax historically, with some gold and silver. From a little digging on the internets, it seems there is (or recently was) an Irish mining company working in the area.
If I had to guess, I'd say those events are mine blasts.
edit on 6/26/2012 by Olivine because: add a link

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join