It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chili's Server Fired After Facebook Tip Rant

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Wow, some people here should not eat out... nor have any concept of proper dining etiquette...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by pityocamptes
Bottom line, it has been and remains customary to tip 15-20% when you go out to eat. If you don't have enough money to tip, then perhaps you should NOT go out to eat. Eating out is not a RIGHT, but should, and has always been a traditional "treat". Tips are part of the wage, it pretty much has always been that way. Just like you would not like your boss deducting money from your wages, so then, you should not go out to eat only to stiff your waiter... theft is theft.

Eating out may not be a "right" but neither is giving/receiving a tip.

Choice.

Choice to go out. Choice to tip. Choice to work in an industry.

Wow! Lack of empathy signals lack of morals altogether.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Wow - quick to judge much?

Them's just the facts, jack...
edit on 25-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

The freedom to choose has no value whatsoever if one chooses selfishness, that is all I'm saying.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

or if one chooses entitlement?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Entitlements?????!!!!

WHEN PEOPLE EAT OUT - YOU PAY FOR THE SERVICE. If you cannot afford or refuse to pay for the service DO NOT EAT OUT - it's that simple.

I tip regardless if my service was good or #ty. Its all about realizing that I am paying for the service and eating out. If you have a bitch take it up with the manager and have them discount the meal. More than likely, a patrons interpretation of "#ty" service has to do with too many people in the establishment and too few waiters. In the end the vast majority of waiters do bust their ass.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I think servers deserve a living wage. When the public, put on an honour system to participate in that wage, overlook the fact that the server does much more than you see with your own eyes, to make not only your table, but everyone else's table enjoy a nice night out, then they deserve the minimum wage of 15% tip on the entire bill. I mean, where is the empathy? You don't know what really makes a restaurant run if you think that your server expecting at least 15% added to your bill is some sense of "entitlement".

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

I would agree with you that food industry workers (all workers for that matter) deserve a living wage.

I would also agree that in the case of the food industry in general, they system is flawed.

I will not agree that it negates "choice" with regards to all participants.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
She is crying about only getting $5 ?
It's this "someone owes me something" attitude that I am so sick of seeing.
I was a waiter and I know it sucks to bust your butt and get nothing in tips.
But this "they owe me 15% or 20% or whatever is bull crap.

If you don't like your pay, tell your boss.
Why should i pay you in tips when I'm paying you to do your job anyway?
I always leave a tip, even if the service is a little poor, but if you want a good tip you better earn it.
In fact there was only one time I did not leave a tip and I told the manager why, and because I have never left with out tipping. (the service was really that bad....no I mean worse then that )

I am so sick of people thinking they should get paid just for showing up for work, or getting a good tip because the bill was high.

NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING, YOU GET BACK WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!

Tips are customary. In many places though gratuities are added onto the bill. Some people forget the custom I suppose.

There are many jobs where gratuity is the main source of income. Wage will not make up much at all.

That being said, getting upset and making public remarks like this is not really acceptable. On the other hand, so is dining out and not tipping.
edit on 25-6-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by trysts

I would agree with you that food industry workers (all workers for that matter) deserve a living wage.

I would also agree that in the case of the food industry in general, they system is flawed.

I will not agree that it negates "choice" with regards to all participants.

Oh. I didn't know you were making a general statement that tipping is just a choice. There is not much there in that respect, since one could say to anyone in any situation that it is their choice to be in that situation. I would hate to have my friends say to any complaint I have, 'well, you chose that situation since you could always kill yourself'. That seems puerile to me.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The management should inform diners before service:

We do not pay our wait staff a decent wage. We expect your to make up for our cheapness. We are adding 15% to the total of your bill. We know some of our employees are slackers, you decide how much of that they are. If the service does not meet your expectations, inform management or do not eat here in the future.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Not saying what she did was right, but who the hell only tips $5 on a bill that large? That is beyond just being a cheapskate, that's outright mean nastiness!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
i'm sick of tipping.

nobody seems to be focusing their attention on the restaurant owners who are getting away with paying their employees lousy wages and exploiting them with marathon shifts.

i've seen restaurants charge $29.99 for 3 freakin ravioli's. pay your waitress more than $2.50/hr.

and why should i pay your employees wages. take 15% out of your end out of every check and give it to them.

instead of preying on peoples good nature.

a tip is a tip, a few extra bucks for good service, regardless of the amount on the check. a tip isn't paying your whole employees wage while i'm sitting there and then paying again for what i was originally there for.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i'm sick of tipping.

nobody seems to be focusing their attention on the restaurant owners who are getting away with paying their employees lousy wages and exploiting them with marathon shifts.

i've seen restaurants charge $29.99 for 3 freakin ravioli's. pay your waitress more than $2.50/hr.

and why should i pay your employees wages. take 15% out of your end out of every check and give it to them.

instead of preying on peoples good nature.

a tip is a tip, a few extra bucks for good service, regardless of the amount on the check. a tip isn't paying your whole employees wage while i'm sitting there and then paying again for what i was originally there for.

I doubt most establishments even make money. I know several people who own food establishments and they are bleeding out. They do not want to let people go or increase prices so instead they are slightly cutting back on portion sizes. They have indicated that overhead in the food industry is a massive killer...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Firing that person was the right thing to do. Their rant left no other choice open. No person in their right mind would patronize any restaurant where they work after that.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I doubt most establishments even make money

Then they would be out of business...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

what does that have to do with me paying your employees.

when does service become free, i've seen people pay a $1200+ check and still left a tip.

the owner can't take $30-40 dollars and pay the 3 minutes that a waitress actually had to do something for the couple of hours they were there.

not doing well as business is not an excuse for making your costumers directly pay a large portion of the employees wages.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

I doubt most establishments even make money

Then they would be out of business...

...and many of them are. Most are hanging on by the skin of their teeth...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
reply to post by pityocamptes

what does that have to do with me paying your employees.

when does service become free, i've seen people pay a $1200+ check and still left a tip.

the owner can't take $30-40 dollars and pay the 3 minutes that a waitress actually had to do something for the couple of hours they were there.

not doing well as business is not an excuse for making your costumers directly pay a large portion of the employees wages.

I take it you never have run a business? The food industry is like the entertainment industry in many aspects with regards to wages. In the end it boils down to the labor laws of the state. Once again, if you go out to eat, you should be aware of the traditional "tip". This is like the people who buy large RV's complaining about fuel costs on their beast that only gets 4 miles to the gallon... complain about fuel costs on a 120K RV? Hmmmm, me thinks they should have known better, same with eating out...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
Several states charge the waitresses/waiters income tax based on the amount of their sales, Oregon is one of them. So she had to claim she received a $20.00 tip on that sale, regardless if she did or not. She lost wages on that meal. Also, many restuarants have a mandated 15% tip on tickets over a certain amount and/or people count. She got screwed. Her reaction was wrong. Some days you're the bug, some the windshield.

Yeah.... Oregon also pays wait staff minimum wage (which is near $9/hr) .. so assuming the waiter makes $10 on average in tips.. I have to ask.. does a waiter deserve $19/hr to serve tables?

Hell no.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join