It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we suffering from "Wheat Belly" in North America?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by YogaGinns

I think places like MacDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's and all this processed food that you buy at the grocery store that comes in prepacked boxes, and bags with God alone knows what kind of chemicles, and the steroids injected into chicken has more to do with it than just wheat.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I realized I was allergic to Gluten about 4 years ago now. I have been wheat and gluten free since then, ( Except for the occasional secret slice of pizza) And since I stopped eating it my energy levels have risen, while my health has vastly improved. I try to stay away from anything processed, which is pretty difficult, but well worth the effort!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Gluten is the cause of many health problems; flour today is not the same flour our grandparents used in their generations

SM2

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Gluten is the cause of many health problems; flour today is not the same flour our grandparents used in their generations

See, I tend to agree with this in part. It is not the gluten per se , its the modified wheat that would be the problem. People have been eating bread and pasta for thousands of years. Celiac and IBS are relatively new in comparisons. It is all this unnatural stuff we cram down our throats. Soy products are no better, like the soy milk craze. All the chemicals, pesticides, genetic manipulation and cross breeding are the real culprits. Add in all the processing that our food goes though.

I see all the hypocrisy in dietary discussions and i find it humorous. I see people saying that cross breeding plants and using pesticides is dangerous....yes it is, so are all the GM crops out there. However, in the same breath those same people will tout the soy milks and textured soy proteins as a godsend. Well, you do realise that all the soy products contain high levels of phytoestrogens right? You realize what that is right? its a form of estrogen produced by the plant, which will make men grow moobs as well as cause an abundance of health issues. How someone can say that something that was fabricated in a lab (textured soy protein, soy milk, etc) is a healthy, nutritious food just flies in the face of reason.

You do realize that ALL grains have gluten not just wheat products right? Spelt, rice, oats, barley, wheat, Triticale etc. You can not have a spelt and flax bread and be gluten free. Now, they do have a different gluten as far as composition, but it is still gluten. Gluten is the protein in the grain. By the way, celiacs and related disease only effect between 0.5 and 1% of the worlds grain eating population.

The main problems are we are not eating natrual foods anymore, it is all manipulated seed stock and doused with all kinds of chemicals in induce the plant to do what we think it needs to. remove that from the equation and i think most of these health issues would disappear.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

It doesn't make sense to me.

Wheat contributing to Type 2 diabetes?

I thought that enriched white bread was the culprit? No nutritional value at all there.

If I eat wheat-anything, it's organic and I try to limit my servings each week. I've just developed a habit of going for organic whole wheat instead of white bread anything.

I might try removing gluten soon just for the hell of it. I'll consult my doctor first though because I want to see if he's even aware of those allergies or not. LOL.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Wheat is FULL of starch (so are potatoes, carrots, rice, corn, etc). Starch is a fancy word for "complex sugar". Sugar is a foreign body in your diet, and requires insulin to offset. Since your body isn't designed to process this amount of sugars, your pancreas gives up and you become diabetic.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I suppose all in moderation, right?

I can always cut my servings back even more. I don't eat a lot of starch otherwise. Haven't had potatoes, rice or carrots in a while.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Ref to the soy milk & IBS --you may want to read the labels and check out the ingredient carrageenan--it's in soy milk and most ice creams.
link 1
link 2

Seems I'm allergic to it. Used to love silk vanilla soy milk, thinking it was ok cause it's natural right? Had all kinds of IBS trouble, found this article, quit drinking it, IBS not so much a problem now. Also, used to love to eat Klondike ice cream, but noticed when I ate one = royal IBS, skip for a couple of days = ok, eat another one, yep royal IBS. My other half eats them all the time, but for me they are synonymous with acute pain and I have no problem staying away from them now.

Also I'm allegic to something in the burgers at fast food joints. Absolutely cannot eat anything from micky d's, not even the fries; BK and Hardees I can do 1x a week, but if I do 2x week, it's like I've got the flu, ache all over, sinus issues, breathing problems.

I've never really liked bread or corn, eat mostly brown rice and potatoes. Cook mostly from scratch (in my dearly beloved cast iron fry pans
), using fresh produce; eat mostly my own cooking, mostly protein when I go out; read labels always when shopping; and grow and put up a lot of my own food.

This list of Top 10 Scariest Food Additives was a real eye opener for me.

Also, taking Align probiotic supplement has really helped with the IBS. It has a type of gut bacteria in it that helps your body's intestinal flora digest food better, similar to yogurt. You can find it at walmart etal in the antacid isle.

BTW-cast iron pans are best when seasoned properly --see here. I don't turn my oven up that high, so I don't get smoke, and they work just fine. I don't deep fry anything, but use them mostly for stove top meat, veggie and rice casseroles. Wouldn't trade them for anything, plan on passing them down to my son and his sons, like I've got my grandmother's 2 fry pans plus my own 2.
We all like to cook!

Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

I suppose all in moderation, right?

I can always cut my servings back even more. I don't eat a lot of starch otherwise. Haven't had potatoes, rice or carrots in a while.

Every person is different. I can tolerate about 50g a day and maintain a healthy weight without worry. My son does about half, as does my wife. Your body may process sugars better than mine. But i spent nearly a decade just a breath away from 500 lbs.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented
Our foods in general are the issue.

We have a high carb, high sugar diet, out of convenience and affordability.

These carbs and sugars are the issues to our diabetic and other issues.

That is incorrect. Your muscles use glucose for food. All carbohydrates are converted to glucose by your body. You should be bouncing off the walls with a high carb diet. The muscles aren't using the glucose. If they were, then the person's blood sugar wouldn't be up.

you are correct to a point. if your body is working right Your muscles use glucose for food. But they also need insulin to be able to use that glucose

but if you are insulin resistant (medabolic syndrome )pre diabetic your muscles can not take up the insulin to convert the glucose to energy so your body stores it as fat.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Great thread and replies ATS! I've recently been trying this diet called keto. It's pretty similar to atkins in that it's low carbs and high in protein and fat. I've lost weight and I've pretty much stayed the same weight all my life and was addicted to carbs and sweets. It was tough at first but I began to get used to it. There has been plenty of testimonials about people who have diabetes switching to keto and not having any issues after that as far as needing insulin and checking their blood sugar.

It's crazy because it seems everything is carbs everywhere you look. People see me eating burger patties, cheese, bacon, all these meats and fat and they are like you'll never lose weight like that. Or that's bad for you etc etc. I just smile and agree with them and just continue to do my thing. It's easier to just agree then to try and explain the logic behind it. Our bodies aren't made to eat a lot of carbs and that's why you always feel the constant need to eat. When you start eating high protein and fat eventually your body stabilizes and you can stay full longer while eating less. It's the fat which keeps you full.

Anyways anyone interested check it out...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
No special diet here but I lost 100lbs recently just by counting calories, portion control and exercise. I'm working on losing another 50-60 to complete my transformation. Just last August, I weighted 342lbs.

Just sharing my experience. I'm always looking for ways to supplement what I eat so I like the comments in this thread.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I'm a female, and there is nothing wrong with having a beer every so often.

I can't drink any types of alcohol made from grains, like vodka, etc, so all I can have is wine or gluten free beer.

Give me a break!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I know of a gnarly local brewery that produces an excellent gluten-free saison. You might like it. I had it on tap and it was very good. I like to try just about any kind of beer once and naturally, I had to try the gluten-free beer as well.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

LOL, i am just informing. If you want to reduce cholesterol, weight, and blood pressure, you do so with a low carb diet (also, insulin related issues).

If you have no issue with the above, then it seems that you have some wiring that makes you resistant to the issues plaguing the West. Congrats, and enjoy your blessings!

I don't drink for other reasons related to allergies.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Modifying the wheat is certainly something to think about but there is historical evidence that the introduction of agriculture on a large scale ALONE is playing a big part in it.

Our diets took a shift rapidly to one that is high in carbohydrates from wheat and corn products ( corn syrup especially ) whereas prior to that human diets were higher in protein from meats and nuts and vegetables, as well as carbohydrates from fruits.. And carbohydrates from fruits are far easier for our bodies to handle.

I saw a speech where they showed a direct correlation in time periods where agriculture boomed by country and at the same time things like heart disease also jumped..

High carb can cause diabetes, obesity, heart disease and a whole host of other illnesses.. all without modifying the grain.. simply by ingesting too much..

Modifying our crops only adds to the fire potentially

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
By the way - this is the speech I was referring to above .. I ALWAYS refer people to this when the subject of carbohydrates / sugar / wheat / hfcs come up.. 1 1/2 hours long but VERY informational.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
No special diet here but I lost 100lbs recently just by counting calories, portion control and exercise. I'm working on losing another 50-60 to complete my transformation. Just last August, I weighted 342lbs.

Just sharing my experience. I'm always looking for ways to supplement what I eat so I like the comments in this thread.

Congrats! .. I myself was 300lbs and I've happily maintained 180-185 the last several years just by being aware of what I was eating for the most part.. And carb control was a huge HUGE benefit of that.. I've never really been a low-carb advocate exactly but keeping it in check helps on so many levels.. appetite control being one of the big ones.

Diets like Atkins can go a bit too far with low carb, it promotes entering a state of ketosis which can be potentially fatal if it gets out of hand apparently.. as well as the fact ketones in a high enough level supposedly make your breath stink ..
edit on 6/25/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two completely different things. Ketones are released when your body begins burning fat cells. Ketoacidosis is a critical and acute crisis of the pancreatic system.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Giving wheat up entirely does make the concept seem like its unattainable however, cutting way back may provide positive results.
My wife went through chemo and radiation two years ago and since then, she has suffered from mid waist bloating and a puffy weight gain. It's possible that the. Extreme pressure on her system has increased her tolerance to wheat and the byproduct gluten. After watching a Dr. Oz show last week on gluten, we are faintly convinced this could be the culprit. We are in the process of cutting the grains from our diets. It is everywhere so it will be challenging for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join