It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we suffering from "Wheat Belly" in North America?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

WOW, that is one restrictive diet to follow. Hope you don't need to stay on it any length of time.

I have found some nice gluten free crackers through a large produce store nearby. The brand name is Sesmark, see below for a link.

Sesmark

I don't know why it is, but I find a lot of gluten free products stick to my fillings, but these ones aren't as bad. The pastas at the grocery store are OK if you eat them up, but as leftovers they seem to go to mush quickly. I just need to try other brands and stick to the ones I like, would be nice if the price wasn't so high.

Thanks for the post,
Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
One thing to be careful about in "gluten" free products are the fillers they use to replace the wheat, e.g., corn starch, tapioca starch, potato starch, rice, etc. Many of these products will raise blood sugar higher than bread itself, which raises blood sugar higher then plain old sugar.

My goal is to maintain a consistent blood sugar level throughout the day, and avoid foods and habits which cause a roller coaster level throughout the day.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: YogaGinns

I think you are right about the 'wheat' and 'brown bread' i don't know if it is all that great after all.

Eat pineapple instead... that's what I've just started eating on a regular basis!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I wondered about the pastas....and I figure you have to watch the cooking times...or end up with mush.
Have you tried rice pasta? Quinoa pasta?

a reply to: ThreeNF

Thanks for bringing that up about fillers....I'm sure not all Gluten Free items are created the same.
The crackers I tried by Nabisco were awful! I should have read the labels......I'll be doing tht more carefully in the future.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Long story short about gluten: unless you have Celiac disease, glutens are not a problem for anyone. Eating gluten free without celiac is like eating sugar free when you don't have weight or diabetes issues.

My advice: unless you have celiac, eat the gluten. Or avoid the grain altogether. Otherwise you are just suffering unnecessarily.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It's only for a few weeks....until a condition is stabilized.

When I go back to eating normally, I'll probably limit wheat as much as possible....as well as sugars.
And limit my dairy to cheese and Greek yogurt.

I didn't know that about gluten and non-celiac people, so thanks.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Sounds like, if you didn't do any dairy, you'd be right at paleo

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Wheat belly...

You know, elevated levels of cortisol result in more fat storage in the gut area and around the internal organs, leading to fatty liver syndrome.

Perhaps there is a link between diet and cortisol levels in the brain?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Not everything is a conspiracy,
sometimes it is just ignorance of the consequences and market forces at play.
Depends on your vibratory level.
Increase your vibration, eat less wheat, live in the light.

edit on 14-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: starswift

that's not entirely true.

doctors have known, individually, for quite some time that the link between food and high blood pressure was carbs, not fats. The "Food Pyramid" continued to push the poison of carbohydrates on people.

Yes, for many the diet works fine. But for many more, carbs just drive more hunger that tends to be sated with more carbs. Its a cycle that drives obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

NO way I Could give up cheese, yogurt and ice cream.

While I don't think I Am celiac, I do believe wheat causes me some gastric distress and bloat.

ETA
And yeah, ice cream is no way low carb....but since I gave up liquor....well, it's my vice.
Ice cream...and chocolate.
edit on Tue Jul 14 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

yeah, my breyers low carb ice cream gives me something i can look forward too in the late evening hours.
I like to make "frappucinos" with some snickernut coffee that i get at HEB

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Hmmmm.....I forgot about that stuff.
I'll have to look for it after I'm back on dairy.

See, now I want some LOL.....

Back to grains, as I was looking for lower carb grains, etc
lowcarbdiets.about.com...

Grains
www.lowcarbfriends.com...

Flour
ggiswheatfree.wordpress.com...[e ditby]edit on Tue Jul 14 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I have cheese and yogurt, but not the processed sliced cheese or the high carb yogurts. My vice is dark chocolate (80% or higher) with raw almond butter.

I've had a lot of success with the Wheat Belly lifestyle, which I started Labor day last year. I'm at 144 lbs today and last year at this time I was 200. Size 36 to 30. At the beginning of the year I started working out and cycling again on a regular basis. I'm 42 today and haven't been this weight or felt this good since middle school! Also, I look pretty damn good for 42 ;0

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

If you want to reduce carbs but not eliminate all of them, I would suggest going by the priorities...

Fructose is the worst of all, it is really a poison for your metabolism. You can find fructose inside sucrose molecule also. Fructose belong to the vegetal kingdom and have no business in the animal world. Fructose is highly efficient at creating AGE in your body. Fructose is bad for your liver.

Starchs are polymers of glucose, there is no fructose inside them, only glucose. Still a carb but much less poisonous than fructose.

Galactose is AFAIK relatively benign.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: YogaGinns

originally posted by: awareness10
Besides wheat, there is another people should be avoiding completely which is Soy.

This book along with the Wheat belly book which i own, are excellent references as to what to avoid if you want a strong lean body that runs efficiently.

The whole Soy Story - The dark side of Americas favorite health food.

A groundbreaking expose that tells the truth about soy that scientists know but that the soy industry has tried to suppress. Soy is not a health food, does not prevent disease and has not even been proven safe. Epidemiological, clinical and laboratory studies link soy to malnutrition, digestive problems, thyroid dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders, even heart disease and cancer.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. As someone with thyroid issues I avoid soy whenever I can ... but Asian food just screams for Soya Sauce.

We all need to research and make informed decisions when it comes to the foods we eat. Just because someone makes health claims about an ingredient or supplement be sure to get the whole story and then trust your instincts.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

Absolutely. But the problem with it is that it's not only in Soy sauces but it's in nearly everything that we consume. I started checking the labels one day curious as to how many products Soy is added into along with Sugar and Salt. I was appalled to be honest, it's in Everything! From Chocolate to Cereals to Breads and on and on. It's a travesty that in our day and age the food chain is so controlled by corporations that people have become guinea pigs for them. The only way to avoid Soy anymore is to simply stop eating most foods.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Absolutely. But the problem with it is that it's not only in Soy sauces but it's in nearly everything that we consume. I started checking the labels one day curious as to how many products Soy is added into along with Sugar and Salt. I was appalled to be honest, it's in Everything! From Chocolate to Cereals to Breads and on and on. It's a travesty that in our day and age the food chain is so controlled by corporations that people have become guinea pigs for them. The only way to avoid Soy anymore is to simply stop eating most foods.

I can't agree with you more on that. Would be great to step back in time before Betty Crocker cakes and Rice-a-Roni side dishes hit the stores. I actually remember when a grocery store wasn't much bigger than two variety stores side by side. There was a butcher with half a cow on the slab and he would cut your roast to whatever size you wanted. Fruits and vegetables were mostly local and a banana was an exotic treat. Now I hardly recognize some of the items in the produce isle.

My Mom's cookbooks from the 40s & 50s are so basic...but then again she had the time to cook from scratch and go pick up what she needed daily not worrying about how long it would stay fresh at home. Sigh*

I have pretty much caved in and am eating more and more wheat products just trying to keep the serving size smaller. I'm not a fan of Paleo eating as I would rather not have huge amounts of meat everyday. What I need is an in-house chef to take care of my diet and personal trainer to cover the body/fitness end of it. Ah well, where did I put that lottery ticket.

Thanks for the input.
Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Good for you sticking with the no wheat diet, It is not an easy thing follow. And congrats on the weight loss. I have lost some by portion control eating, but find the cravings for the baked goods are my downfall. If I could find a really good wheat free bran muffin that would be great.

I also know that I shouldn't do the dairy because I have issues with too much mucous, but I love yogurt and cheese too.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

edit on 19-7-2015 by YogaGinns because: spelling

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Long story short about gluten: unless you have Celiac disease, glutens are not a problem for anyone. Eating gluten free without celiac is like eating sugar free when you don't have weight or diabetes issues.

My advice: unless you have celiac, eat the gluten. Or avoid the grain altogether. Otherwise you are just suffering unnecessarily.

BFFT, that advice has been given to me by a Celiac sufferer and I do feel for her struggles in today's world where there are so many additives in everything. I think its the goal of cutting out the wheat that makes people reach for the 'gluten free' stuff rather than actually do away with "wheat" not "gluten". I have gotten my copy of "Wheat Belly" back from a friend and think I will re-read it.

Always great to hear from you.
Namaste,
YogaGinns
edit on 19-7-2015 by YogaGinns because: s

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join