It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepare To Have Your Mind Boggled

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Add to this. There are TWO existances. The one which our matter exist in and cannot escape. And the other which other matter exist. As silly as it sounds it is opposite down to the atomic spin. And balanced. Instantly balanced with our reality.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
In middle school I used to display my hands then close them and ask what is inside. most people would say nothing. I would reply your wrong air..pressure is inside.
now that I am older i learn that nothing actually is a word. it serves us.
it is what we carve bowls..cups...houses around. without nothing...there would be nothing to fill to serve our purpose.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by Sinny

Its like saying zero isnt nothing as it contains 4 letters

Surely nothing is the presence of absence? Or possibly even absence of presence? Philosophically speaking there must be some positive to gain from it?
At 4am on a Sunday, these are probably questions best left unpondered to me.

I vaguely remember reading that meditation is the art of trying to think about nothing. I could be wrong though, I never tried it.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Nothing = something or how did something come to exist. How did everything come from 0, so therefore nothing does not exist..

Personally I think a lot of people complicate everything so much, that they can not see the simple conundrum you have brought forth in this thread and totally misunderstood you completely.

As far as I go... Mind blown

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Sinny

I think you are confusing physical form with numerical representation.

Most of what you have stated is just word play and means nothing in reality.

Its like saying zero isnt nothing as it contains 4 letters

In regard to your first sentence, mathmatics is the universal language, hence sacred geometry etc.

For anyone wondering where I got this concept from, I was reading a few physics ebooks earlier, I'm not sure if I took note of the books or not, ill try and retrace them

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If you really want you mind blown think about this..

1 second is a measure of time. From 0-1 or 1-2.

But a second can be split into an infinite amount of fractions.

You can never get to the end of infinity.

So how can time ever progress from 1 second to the next?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Tis all in the eye of the beholder. It annoys me so much that the clock goes sooo slow at work, and yet, when I'm enjoying life, time goes so fast. I aske these questions so one day we might understand them, and conquere this unknown force, imagine suspending/extending the whole of our lives in work mode

And @ Gimme_Some-Truth, yes your nearly there

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Indeed! Trying to think of nothing is very hard indeed! Most the time your thinking of trying to think of nothing, so defeating the whole point!

I do feel I have some moments, you know when to everybody else it seems like your lost in thought, so they snap you back to reality and ask " what you thinking about" and found your self answering with "nothing" (but as a genuine answer).. Like your mind just got suspended in time?

I find that the only time I ever think of nothing, because I'm not actually thinking.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

in a pure sense nothing is a concept and not a 'thing'.

A concept is a thing so 'nothing' as a concept can be a thing.

But the absence of everything is not anything by its very nature

edit on 23-6-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

See again, it's interesting you mention that because "they" (boffins) did some kinda study of motorists. People paying attention while operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of nothing going from A to B. They found that people knew little of the journey after the fact in the sense that a lot of the time, while still paying 100% attention to driving, we actually are thinking about other things quite a lot.

Speaking from personal experience with simple walking, I cannot walk very far without thinking about something not directly involved with the task at hand no matter how hard I try.

*arrives at supermarket*

"Now..what was it I needed again? I mean apart from beer."

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Haha, I think a good example of that would be opening the fridge and thinking "why on earth am I in here?"

Or walking into a room and wondering the same.

Better yet, spending hours looking for your keys or sun glasses and then finding them in the fridge lol.

What was my mind doing?!?!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Looking at the two words - nothing and something - should reveal a clue...

...and another make-believe wall, the white-coats can bang their heads on...

some...THING

no.......THING

In this sense, thing is regarded as something measurable by other 'things'...
...but what of an item which is not a thing? It surely becomes unmeasurable and therefore, according to 'current accepted laws', does not in effect exist...except as a convenient addition to incomplete theories...

akushla

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Ok, so then on the number line positive numbers go infinite as well as negitive numbers, add them together at any point, and I guess at even infinity, and you get zero. So zero is the sum of all existance. Number line wise at least. And thats a good thing. It makes sense. Zero grounds us, it gives us a base. Now, emptyness, nothing, that is an entirely different subject. Your question/thought experiment, is interesting, but with the level of understanding we are currently at, any answer is speculative.

My thought, there is no such thing as "nothing", after the big bang existance expanded into what? That is the elephant in the room. No body has an answer for that. And they avoid that subject like it gives them the screaming heebie jeebies.

Basicly I guess the answer to what you present is, we don't know. If that to you is trolling, then well, sorry.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by caterpillage

but an infinity of numbers does not include all numbers. Plus some infinities are larger than others.

Its a bit to late for me to get into a deep discussion on how it works but if you want more info look up Cantor

But be warned Cantor went insane trying to think out this stuff lol

edit on 23-6-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Oh dear, now there you go again! You mention the one thing (one of the more important things) I don't have here right now. A fridge. I'm in the middle of moving and the fridge is in the new place, along with most of the rest, and I am not. In other words the beer is warm. I'd guess getting close to 20 Celsius. I guess it's a good job I'm English too. Dutch people could never take beer that warm.

ETA As far as the keys go, it has happened on more than one occasion, that when I couldn't find my keys they were still in the front door lock when I came in with a hurry. (It's me weak bladder dearie, I inherited it from me mother, it runs in the family...
) The keys stayed in the door all night quite often. Nobody loves me or wants to stalk me or kill me in my sleep!

edit on 23/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Your arguments are more based on semantics than facts.
You need to understand that.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
I just want to present you with a couple of statements... Food for thought.

Add seven positive 1s, and seven minus 1s... You arrive with the sum of zero... Despite the fact there are *actually* 14 numbers.

Would you mind some light chat on this, because I have to ask: Are there really 14 numbers there? I would say that there either has to be 15 numbers, or just 7. You considered all the negative digits below zero to be numbers, but not the zero. If zero isn't a number, why would any value less than zero qualify as a number? So, either the zero is a number, making it a total of 15 numbers, or every value from zero to -7 isn't a number, making the total of just the 7 positive numbers.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Would you mind some light chat on this, because I have to ask: Are there really 14 numbers there? I would say that there either has to be 15 numbers, or just 7. You considered all the negative digits below zero to be numbers, but not the zero. If zero isn't a number, why would any value less than zero qualify as a number? So, either the zero is a number, making it a total of 15 numbers, or every value from zero to -7 isn't a number, making the total of just the 7 positive numbers.

Aha! By the same logic why would any number above zero be considered worthy as a number? Hmmmm?

ETA You can't just say it's below, let's fuggedaboutit or however it is spelled. As above so below. Black and white, or in the case of financial books black and red, yes and no, on or off always mistakenly leave out one choice though. No! Do not want. Neither. Abstain. Resist!
How a universe reacts to that outburst is anyones guess though.
edit on 23/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

That well may be, I certainly don't claim to speak as an authority on the subject. I'll look into
That a bit, I don't however wish to be driven insane. One of my main goals in contemplating meta physical ideas is maintaining sanity as I have to get up for work in the morning.
but I shall read up on that. I had no idea infinity excluded some numbers as such, I allways figured if you said "infinity" as it pertained to a line it pretty much included the whole line.

link   

So how can time ever progress from 1 second to the next?

We defined the unit of measure for time.
edit on 23-6-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join