It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Trillion gallons of toxic waste injected into underground America!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns
reply to post by crankyoldman

I worked for 18 months in a nuke plant like the ones that melted down in japan. I never gave it a thought about going to the top floor on the elevator to the fuel storage pool and reactor head before Fukushima. I see the epic failure of the design now. Once I was watch on video as some workers were changing out the control rod drives but some of them were so radioactive that they had to slam them back up intot he shielding because the dosimeter was jumping to 600 mr per hour and above. I learned a lot at that job which I will never forget.

This is interesting to me. Many people assume, I think incorrectly, that all people associated with such situations know full well the dangers or even the absurdity of such processes. You suggest that your time there was not filled with "good lord this place is hell on earth and a mouse crap might send it over the edge" but rather "this is all fine, just doin my job."

That theme trickles down, as I'm shocked beyond definition that these plants were placed in: Earthquake zones, Tsunami zones and Major Population Centers, and in some cases all three, and no one really griped about it during construction. In what reality does this seem like a good idea, given we can't deal with the waste? Yet what you suggest is that only the very, very top person will have any real observation of the bigger issues. I suspect if you said, "where we going to put all this *&^% to your bosses you'd be ignored. Someone posted a great personal observation about how they worked on recovery at the pentagon on 9-12 and it had never occurred to them at the time that the official story didn't connect with the reality - it took 12 years to see it.

I'm curious. What did they tell you was a save level of accumulation of radiation for each person who worked there? Were you measured, say via hair? Was a safe level for embryo's ever spoken of?

lastly, the real question. It is said that these steam generators were a rouse to get the public to pay for weapons grade material. At the plant you worked at, was this the case, or could you have even detected this at all?

HI Cranky Old man, I am working on your answers and I will post the in about noon tomorrow,

I never realized that Peach Bottom was the only plant ever shutdown by the NRC. Here is a link to an article on the 1987 shutdown And some info on Three MIle Island too.....

Only nuclear power plant ever shutdown by the NRC

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
So what exactly is this toxic stuff?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Then they wonder why sinkholes appear.

. Denied. First of all.. They call it toxic waste. They don wonder what it causes.. Hey know its naaasty.. 2nd.. Sinkholes? Seriously? Were beter off saying.. "aand they wonder why there are so many birth defects..". Once again though.. Its toxic waste.. Causes some serious ill.. Start comprehending what you say, it sometimes looks ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
Yes, and it takes 100 feet of soil that the water would naturally be cleansed by if it were to travel in any direction after it is injected. The earth has ways of filtering the deadliest of contaminated water.

Considering that fracking wells are at 5,000 feet, I doubt very much that we have any concerns about toxicity.

However, I will agree that the volume of fluids injected is large...and could cause unsettlement at certain depths.

The earth has ways of filtering even the deadliest of contaminated waters...

Oh, really?

Strike two more places from my 'to do' list.

Ireland
North Carolina (and surrounding land masses)

The earth has ways of filtering even the deadliest of contaminated waters...

It just has ways, just pour the poison down the hole, and it comes back clean!

Of course it does....
edit on 23-6-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
omg

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
So much toxic.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
Yes and Gov Perdue in NC just announced that they are going to pass legislature to okay Fracking here in our state......
Yep, Im banging my head on a wall....

Yea that's her last BIG MIDDLE FINGER to all of us in the state since she is the worst Governor in the country right now and well normal for the state!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I was thinking about how much waste water this really is...

30 gallons equals 4 cubic feet

so using this data we can determine that the volume of the water that was disposed of is?

30/30,000,000,000,000 = 1,000,000,000,000 gallons

4 cubic feet X 1,000,000,000,000 = 4 trillion cubic feet by volume...

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
So what exactly is this toxic stuff?

This can be anything from used fracking fluid to waste products from industrial production. I know for example at the Rocky Mountain Weapons Arsenal produces chemical weapons and they have been disposing of their toxic waster water in a 12,000 foot well.......

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

wetpixel.com...

it goes far beyond ground contamination and this was just the latest means of disposal

clui.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by anoncoholic

So it may be safe to assume, ( I would love to do more research) that the rise in Autism, Parkinson Disease and other neurological disorders may indeed be caused by the years of dumping, as your links may suggest.

I truly worry for our human race. We have become idiots in the pursuit of luxury.......

Here is the link to NC news www.wral.com...
edit on 23-6-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Come on now.
Sounds like you are trying to make it hard for a corporations to make a profit in this country.

They are going to ship all their business overseas if you don't be careful
so molly coddle them and let them do what they want.
They have their OWN scientists and I am sure they are just as trustworthy as one without a vested interest.

You must learn to handle all Corporate entities with kid gloves.
They are "people" now and "people" have rights.

No this will not seep into the ground water. It is perfectly safe.

*sarcasm*

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Thats pretty damn scary, considering all the underground Aquafiers, and that almost all food grown by farmers, use water pumped out from these deep aquafiers, I know that most are required to test the water being pumped, but whos the one checking those water samples, kind of reminds me of that movie Erin brokovich

Chromium-6 – the Erin Brockovich Chemical – Is Widespread in U.S. Tap Water

www.ewg.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I know there have been many threads about fracking and the dangers that it can contaminate ground water. But how many know that today one common way to dispose of toxic wastes is to inject them underground. There are 680,000 toxic waste injection sites here in the USA. They have pumped more than 30 TRILLION gallons into the ground over the last several decades. I saw this article online and I had to post it here.

Conspiracy to get everyone off wellwater and dependant on the government's system and infrastructure. They can't have independant people who don't need them now can they?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

I know there have been many threads about fracking and the dangers that it can contaminate ground water. But how many know that today one common way to dispose of toxic wastes is to inject them underground. There are 680,000 toxic waste injection sites here in the USA. They have pumped more than 30 TRILLION gallons into the ground over the last several decades. I saw this article online and I had to post it here.

Conspiracy to get everyone off wellwater and dependant on the government's system and infrastructure. They can't have independant people who don't need them now can they?

Very good insight on that one...I live on well water out in the country and this had been my concern. At least I know my water is fluoride free....

Maybe it is time though to just get it checked to see what the results are. It has been a few years...

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

In response to replies on the thread:
1) Who would work on these wells knowing it was wrong?
Me, I was briefly employed setting up the drilling rigs. I needed a job; to feed, cloth and house my family. Did I understand or think it was wrong, yes. When I asked about it I was told, " we can't afford to clean the waste to the point required by the EPA".
2) What was being pumped in?
Two different kinds of waste. a- from reverse osmosis water plants; the stuff filtered out, came out of the ground in the first place, maybe a thousand feet or two higher in a aquifer. Wells were 3k to 4.5k deep.
b. sewage treatment plant waste, not solids, but toxic mix from industrial sources, (heavy metals, solvents, expensive to treat and remove, but required by EPA) and homes, (antibiotics, hormones; for birth control and treatment, drugs that pass through us.
3) Who decided to do this and who pays for it?
The people living in the localities by proxy through their elected officials, (you and me).
4) What influenced the decision?
Lower taxes compared to doing it right. Just maybe some guidance from others interested in increasing profits from old depleted, drying up, oil wells, that would benefit from water of any quality being pumped into the surrounding strata. Expensive method they had been using for years. But so much better if you get local governments to do it for you.
Solution: Be informed and willing to pay for doing it right!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Better to grab some pots and big spoons and a van loads of your friends and neighbors and head to the capitol steps.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is called an externality.

You see, often when corporations produce goods, they have the liberty to use public infrastructure and polute the environment, and then the tax payer ends up paying the bill or dealing with the concequences.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

You are aware that certain compounds are not ever filtered out?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

I'm well aware of what his happening. But since I don't dump waste or work in an industry that actively creates things that destroy the quality of human life, I am curious about those who do and why they continue. In some cases they seem to be under a haze. I read where one of the men that worked on the design of the Fukashima style plant quit over the fact that the design was so bad. Tesla quit on the bomb but Einstein did not - why?

I don't know. Maybe because some aren't as impressed with fame and fortune as others? Or maybe because some do genuinely believe they're using their brilliance for the betterment of humanity. I think Tesla fits into that catagory. Then there are others who perhaps don't recognise the potential for harmful applications of their discoveries.

I think another one who didn't recognise the Pandora's box he was opening was Bernard Eastland, the plasma physicist who created HAARP.

The road to hell is often paved with good intentions ....

But then there are the money junkies and corporations lurking in the background scurfing up the ideas and re-patenting them and setting aside regulations like blow out preventers on deep water oil wells and taking the cheap route on nuclear plants, like using Moxfuel and taking short cuts on safety, because doing it the right way would be too much of a drain on the profit margins. Its cheaper to pay government regulators to turn a blind eye.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join