It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern Baptists - 'Same Sex Marriage is Not a Civil Rights Issue'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

I don't think he's American

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Gays should always be allowed to marry.
I mean, why shouldn't they suffer like the rest of us?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
of course gay people should have the right to get married. we'r in the 21st century people, come on.
if religous types dont want it in the church, then dont let it in the church, they shouldnt have any say on matters outside the church.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
So... The question is:

Is there a non-religious logical reason that gay people shouldn't be allowed to be LEGALLY married?

It's MOST DEFINITELY a civil rights issue as CIVIL RIGHTS are conferred with a marriage.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I came across this today.

Civil Rights Issues..... yeah..... cuz they know all about those don't they.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Gay people don't jump from bed to bed anymore than straight people do. Gay people believe in God too. Gay people are Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and other religions too. The only difference in gay people and straight people is the gender attractions. Gays don't think of sex any more often than straight people do. Gays don't have wild sex parties and center their lives on having sex.
I work, I take college classes, I sleep, I eat, I shower, I put my pants on one leg at a time. I'm no different from anyone else in the world. My friends who are gay do the exact same thing. My friends who are straight do the exact same thing. Gay people are not some evil, demonic force sent to destroy the world. People are people ad there is no reason why gays should not have the same rights and responsibilities as straights.
Homosexuality isn't a choice, but religion is a choice. You are born either gay or straight or somewhere in between. You learn how to follow a religion. Gays have religion too and are just as entitled to it as straights are.
How would being in a homosexual marriage be worse than having a divorce from a heterosexual marriage? Homosexuals can go without sex if it turned out it was a sin, but it isn't. Once you're divorced, it's permanent so how are you going to attone for that sin?
Remove the plank from your own eye before worrying about the speck in another's.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

The majority of the population is extremly opposed to gay marriage.
This is quite a claim. According to who? Where?

Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Actually, I think the majority of the population don't really give a rat's fanny.

If two people want to make a lifetime commitment to one another, there is no reason to prevent them having the same privileges and rights as a man and a woman living as a married couple. What's it to you? If a brother and sister want to live together in the same home and share the burdens of responsibility, should that be opposed as well? They are next of kin, but not allowed to file jointly as they are not "spouses"...is that fair? No, it is not.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm NOT a Baptist, let alone a Southern Baptist, yet, I agree with these statements. You cannot make gay marriage legal based on civil rights issues because it is NOT a civil rights issue.

Here is the legal definition of Civil Rights.

Personal liberties that belong to an individual, owing to his or her status as a citizen or resident of a particular country or community.

The most common legal application of the term civil rights involves the rights guaranteed to U.S. citizens and residents by legislation and by the Constitution. Civil rights protected by the Constitution include Freedom of Speech and freedom from certain types of discrimination.

Not all types of discrimination are unlawful, and most of an individual's personal choices are protected by the freedoms to choose personal associates; to express himself or herself; and to preserve personal privacy. Civil rights legislation comes into play when the practice of personal preferences and prejudices of an individual, a business entity, or a government interferes with the protected rights of others. The various civil rights laws have made it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, handicap, or national origin. Discrimination that interferes with voting rights and equality of opportunity in education, employment, and housing is unlawful.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Government or business cannot interfere with these rights - But, that gives No Precedence to Government to Uphold such a right by making it lawful or unlawful. Government must let the gays do their own thing ( In private or in a way where it doesn't infringe on the rights of others) sure and Not Interfere.. One way OR Another. . This means the Government cannot legalize gay marriages any more than they can say if any marriage is legal or illegal. It's not in the governments jurisdiction to do that. The U.S Constitution sees to it.
edit on 27-6-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I'm NOT a Baptist, let alone a Southern Baptist, yet, I agree with these statements. You cannot make gay marriage legal based on civil rights issues because it is NOT a civil rights issue.

Here is the legal definition of Civil Rights.

Personal liberties that belong to an individual, owing to his or her status as a citizen or resident of a particular country or community.

The most common legal application of the term civil rights involves the rights guaranteed to U.S. citizens and residents by legislation and by the Constitution. Civil rights protected by the Constitution include Freedom of Speech and freedom from certain types of discrimination.

Not all types of discrimination are unlawful, and most of an individual's personal choices are protected by the freedoms to choose personal associates; to express himself or herself; and to preserve personal privacy. Civil rights legislation comes into play when the practice of personal preferences and prejudices of an individual, a business entity, or a government interferes with the protected rights of others. The various civil rights laws have made it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, handicap, or national origin. Discrimination that interferes with voting rights and equality of opportunity in education, employment, and housing is unlawful.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Government or business cannot interfere with these rights - But, that gives No Precedence to Government to Uphold such a right by making it lawful or unlawful. Government must let the gays do their own thing ( In private or in a way where it doesn't infringe on the rights of others) sure and Not Interfere.. One way OR Another. . This means the Government cannot legalize gay marriages any more than they can say if any marriage is legal or illegal. It's not in the governments jurisdiction to do that. The U.S Constitution sees to it.
edit on 27-6-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

I'm sure there was a time that civil rights didn't apply to minorities either as it was legally defined. The same is currently true to gay marriage. It WILL change and there's not a damn thing people can do to stop it. To say that you can't have a legal right to marriage based on the preference of your attraction is going the way of the dodo. The only question is; how much time will it take?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Your same link provides this:

civil rights n. those rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, the 13th and 14th Amendments to the Constitution, including the right to due process, equal treatment under the law of all people regarding enjoyment of life, liberty, property, and protection. Positive civil rights include the right to vote, the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of a democratic society, such as equal access to public schools, recreation, transportation, public facilities, and housing and equal and fair treatment by law enforcement and the courts. legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Definitely subject to interpretation.

So - - according to your interpretation - - - Gays can be "gay" - - in other words they can go about their business of being happy with life. However they lack the equality right of heteros to legal marriage.

Something definitely lacking there.

In reading several opinions on Civil Rights of Gay Marriage - - - all of them used the Moral excuse. That if we let gays marry - - then we have to allow polygamy. That giving gays marriage as a civil right - - opens the door to more immorality.

Yeah OK - - Whatever!

The Federal Gay Marriage Act will happen. Just a matter of time.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I can see polygamy being legalized down the road as well. I have nothing against it as long as it's consensual and between adults.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag
I can see polygamy being legalized down the road as well. I have nothing against it as long as it's consensual and between adults.

FIRST: nothing changes tax wise or otherwise if same gender marry. Everything is already set up for marriage being between 2 people. There is ZERO real legitimate reason for not allowing same gender marriage.

SECOND: if we have freedom of religion and polygamy is part of a religion - - - why was it made illegal? Isn't that against the Constitution? Christian control of government - - that's why. Which is completely unconstitutional. Polygamy should never have been made illegal in the first place.

THIRD: multiple marriage would require new laws - - - so it is a more complicated situation.

FOURTH: forced or underage marriage of any kind has nothing to do with Polygamy. Forced or under age marriage is a completely different subject onto itself.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Agreement to everything...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join