It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland protests in FAVOR of child sex trafficking?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

On Wednesday, June 13, members of the Occupy movement protested against a conference dedicated to combatting child sex trafficking — thus, the Occupiers in essence were coming out in favor of one of society’s most loathsome moral crimes.

Read the Story here.

now I'm not saying this reflects the entire occupy movement.. but clearly someone somewhere needs to denounce this chapter of the movement.

There is absolutely no way one can justify child sex slavery, even if your protesting any kind of harassment from police. I do not care who you are or what side your on or what you believe as far as the freedom of your own body, its disgusting, and anyone who lets it happen or is for it or what ever needs to be forced into it themselves.

This is just one more nail in the occupy legitimacy coffin for me. your thought?

ETA: The women in the picture looks like a hooker herself, maybe she started young?
edit on 20-6-2012 by LoonyConservative because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I find this suspect. Don't get me wrong, I think the Occupy Movement is an exercise in self absorbed, logically inconsistent, overly entitled, victim worshiping, naive masturbation. That said, even occupiers aren't this pathetic. Either it's a satirical mockery of the movement by independent critics or its a poorly conceived DHS or local cointelpro operation. If it is real, it certainly jumps the shark of extreme douchery.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
I find this suspect. Don't get me wrong, I think the Occupy Movement is an exercise in self absorbed, logically inconsistent, overly entitled, victim worshiping, naive masturbation. That said, even occupiers aren't this pathetic. Either it's a satirical mockery of the movement by independent critics or its a poorly conceived DHS or local cointelpro operation. If it is real, it certainly jumps the shark of extreme douchery.

I agree with this.

While I agree with not harassing adult sex workers, the children should be safe. End of story.

There's no excuse for this, except that it's probably not true.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Honestly? This is just the propoganda machine switching gears.

You really think that an entire group of people would support such a thing as child abuse? Thats just absurd.

Assumptions...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The conference was about Child slavery and it was known to the public. so I don't really see how the occupy movement there could mistake this for anything but..

The sad thing is that I see the occupy movement as a modern day 60's deal... there were some groups introducing children to sex and drugs back then. I could easily see this happening again.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LoonyConservative

Ok...don't get me wrong.....I am not saying this next statement against all protestors within Occupy...but at this particular event the people that protested (to me) were (out of control - morons)!

The fact that anyone would protest against helping children..well they are complete idiots!.

Children are so precious....they need our help and protection...because unfortunately there are some real sickos in society.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

You are correct.. I've always said that the movement, even though I don't agree 100% with everything they bring up, really needs leadership, focus and some type of self governance ( ok that last one might be counter to what they represent
)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The protest did happen just not in the manner the online psychopathic rag sourced in the OP depicts it.

Demonstrators, including many sex workers, gave speeches against the police, as well as the broader economic and political systems that forces people to exploit themselves and each other. Many pointed out that the police not only repress sex workers by arresting and imprisoning them, but create the conditions that allow prostitution and human trafficking to exist by upholding an unequal economic systems like capitalism, which force people to exploit each other, sexually and otherwise. Many also pointed out that for over a decade the specter of “child trafficking” has been used as an excuse to crack down on sex workers, resulting in the increased repression, exploitation, incarceration and deportation of sex workers, especially poor women of color. The speeches ended with a call for sex workers to build networks of solidarity and resistance that will allow them to defend themselves and each other and to resist the systems of exploitation that create and perpetuate prostitution and human trafficking.

Several participants mentioned that the real purpose of the conference was to further criminalize and incarcerate sex workers through the advancement of the Californians Against Sexual Exploitation Ballot Initiative, coming up in November, which will increase funding for the policing of sex workers while doing little to address the root causes of sexual exploitation. “Increased funding for police will not help solve the problem of human trafficking, especially when the police the prison industrial complex are profiting off the incarceration of sex workers,” said Adelaide Norris, a participant in the demonstration. “If we want to end human trafficking we must first dismantle our economic system, which forces people to exploit themselves and each other.”

Oakland Occupy Patriarchy

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LoonyConservative

More trash, scraped up out of nothing to further discredit a movement that has TPTB crapping themselves. The Occupy movement is too much like the Counter Culture movement (aka Hippies), and that movement scared the big kids so bad they are STILL all freaked out about it.

new topics

top topics

join