It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Faced with Paying 7.5 Billion Back to Farmers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Monsanto Faced with Paying 7.5 Billion Back to Farmers

naturalsociety.com

Back in April, a Brazilian court ruled that Monsanto absolutely was responsible for paying back the exorbitant amounts of cash back to the farmers, ordering the company to issue back all of the taxes collected since 2004 — a minimum of 2 billion dollars. Afterwards, Monsanto appealed the decision and the case is now suspended until a further hearing is initiated by the Justice Tribune of the local court stationed in Rio Grande do Sul.

Recently, however, the Brazilian Supreme Court declared that any decision reached in a local court case should apply nationally. The result? Monsanto now f
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Finally, a step in the right direction concerning the worlds most evil corporation.

Now, this doesn't guarantee Monsanto will pay a dime, but it shines the spotlight on their corrupt business practices for the world to see. I can't believe they had the nerve to sue poor farmers whose farms were contaminated by their cyborg GMO seeds.

Farmers: 1 Monsanto: 0

naturalsociety.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-6-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Great post and story! Thanks for keeping these evil GMO corporations under the spotlight.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
According to wiki they only make 1.6billion a year. Total revenue is 11 billion. I would think they would bring in allot more doe. They are a mega corporation. I think that wiki is lieing, it would seem that 7billion dollars out of 11 billion dollars could make the mega corporation fall.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Even for someone like me who has no great problem with GMO, Monsanto's tactics and extortion stink.

If this is true & actually happens then it will be a good thing (tm) IMO

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
According to wiki they only make 1.6billion a year. Total revenue is 11 billion. I would think they would bring in allot more doe. They are a mega corporation. I think that wiki is lieing, it would seem that 7billion dollars out of 11 billion dollars could make the mega corporation fall.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

You have remember that Monsanto is a multi-national corporation that goes to great lengths to preserve and conceal profits. As the "leader" in GMO products, you would think their R&D department would be the cornerstone to their business. Quite the opposite, their legal department is at least twice the size of their scientific department in terms of resources and capital. Their lobbying efforts alone run into the billion dollar mark, and they feverishly work to prevent the labeling of food items that contain their GMO products. Every other product-based company in the world works to promote their products and brand name, while Monsanto works just as hard to keep it hidden from the consumers. If their products are so good, why all the effort and resources to keep the public unaware? Simplot is another of these evil corporations that prey on the public ignorance.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
They should be forced to pay them EVERYTHING and then go out of business.

If I had license to kill, those who own and happily run Monsanto would be on the top of my list.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

Your energies would be better put to use compiling an accurate list of their transgressions.

It may be preferable to let the guilty linger in a guilty place.... It's more cold-hearted that way.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Cartwheels and leaping for joy. YES!!!! This is soooo good. Those guys must be bankrupt and even in jail.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I don't get how they have legal standing to sue.

If the farmers purposely cross pollinated or harvested seeds and planted them that's one thing.

If the bees, and birds and anything else simply spread the pollination it's beyond the farmers control.

Hell if anything Monsanto would owe them, if an organic farmer has their crop contaminated with GMO pollen their crop is compromised.
That is Monsanto's fault for not containing their pollen.

If anything the farmers should be able to sue Monsanto for contaminating their crops with unwanted GMO pollen.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

They did and Monsanto aims to lose 7.5 Billion. I hope it occurs and they are bankrupt.

And you're right you would never stand for them suing you, you would charge them for contaminating your healthy expensive crop with their frankenstein food that isn't fit to feed animals, and tell the courts you aren't stupid enough to ever sow their seed wilingly on your land and consider them to be guilty of some of the worst crimes against humanity.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hopefully they will freeze their assets and revoke any passports for their top execs until the outcome of the appeal. My guess is if they lose they'll declare bankruptcy and never pay back the farmers the money they stole.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Meanwhile:

Published: 21 June, 2012, 00:27

Biotech giants Monsanto were awarded a victory by lawmakers in Washington this week after a congressional panel voted to let farmers plant genetically modified crops made by the agriculture company despite pending legal proceedings.

rt.com...

Maybe move to Brazil?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
So I take it that nobody actually bothered reading what the news was really about?
Everybody too lazy to learn before posting?

This case is about farmers who knowingly, willingly, WANTED to buy seed from Monsanto.
Not about contamination.
The issue is in regards to a 2 percent royalty. Monsanto charged the 2 percent royalty at the time of sale, but now farmers say that want that 2 percent royalty fee back.

As covered in this exact same thread a few weeks ago.
(naturalnews even cite their own news story that started the thread)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I shouldnt have had to tell you that, but v1rtu0s0 completely misunderstood what the story was about.

edit on 21-6-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
So I take it that nobody actually bothered reading what the news was really about?
Everybody too lazy to learn before posting?

Oh dear....

This case is about farmers who knowingly, willingly, WANTED to buy seed from Monsanto.
Not about contamination.
The issue is in regards to a 2 percent royalty. Monsanto charged the 2 percent royalty at the time of sale, but now farmers say that want that 2 percent royalty fee back.

no - it is about the ongoing "royalties" paid year after year AFTER buying the seed

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentNoise

I can see that happening.
They are an international company and all they have to do is say their holdings in that particular country are bankrupt.

I think it would be great if when companies went bankrupt after law suits they had all their real property(land) sold off at auction.

I have no problem with big companies, I hope one day to own my own company, it's the companies that use loop holes to screw over other people.
There is enough pie for every company you don't need to take from others.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Meanwhile in America: Congress sides with Monsanto

Congress is going to let Monsanto continue to sell seeds even while those involved in creating them are tied up in a current legal battle.

Responding to the bill, long-time opponents of the biotech company The Center for Food Safety call the legislation a"Monsanto profit assurance provision."

I tend to agree.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

I love how with one side of their a## the government tells us what we can and can't put in our bodies and with the other side they let a company produce GMO food and bully farmers who won't grow their GMO crops.
Or sue farmers who accidentally grow them or any other number of things.

Personally I'm on the fence with GMO food, I can see the benefits of it, and the negative aspects of it.
So as long as there is a choice for the public and they can pick one or the other I'm fine.

I just don't like that the company strong arms people and doesn't take steps to prevent the spread of their GMO pollen.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Monsanto will be the reason I see a two headed anything.

The reason my liver & kidneys fail earlier than they should.
The reason my veins pop out of my arms when I juice veggies.
The reason I misspell words on here regularly and need the edit button.

I just ate their corn today, if I don't misspell any words and have to edit this post, it's because God is real and a miracle has happened!!

Where's our piece of their trillions in lawsuit payouts?

edit on 21-6-2012 by JibbyJedi because: I clicked edit just to post that I didn't need to edit this post, 1 - me, 0 - Monsatan

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia
I don't get how they have legal standing to sue.

If the farmers purposely cross pollinated or harvested seeds and planted them that's one thing.

If the bees, and birds and anything else simply spread the pollination it's beyond the farmers control.

Hell if anything Monsanto would owe them, if an organic farmer has their crop contaminated with GMO pollen their crop is compromised.
That is Monsanto's fault for not containing their pollen.

If anything the farmers should be able to sue Monsanto for contaminating their crops with unwanted GMO pollen.

That's the gist of what this is about: Monsanto owes billions of dollars to farmers for polluting their sh|t.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join