It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to computer experts and/or plain old PC hobbyists....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CBS01

Split screen.

Or run dual monitors and put one image on each monitor.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CBS01
Oh man, you guys have made my evening!!! I re-posted and asked it to be placed in correct forum. Lesson here, don't drink, take your RX med's (just had leg amputation), and type at the same time. Think I'll go to the store now if I can learn todrive again real fast. (Should be easy, harder you press accelerator the faster you go, right?)

Holy crap!
Hope you didn't rely on your toes that they took off for typing.

JK.....hope you are doing well.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
CBS01 - Hoping you get to feeling better soon....

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BomSquad
There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Haha this was hilarious!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CBS01

I am glad to see you were able to get your question posted

Let me see if i understand you. It sounds like you want to have 2 screens, one for the person with input access like a keyboard and mouse, and a second screen that displays images, videos and other types of data, but without any input?

Would there be any kind of input on the second screen? Like a second keyboard or mouse or anything like that?

If what i described is correct you should be able to set up a second monitor if you have a video card that supported dual monitors. Then it would just be a matter of finding software that will do what you are looking for.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
it almost sounds like your asking about virtual desktops which have been around for years hell I even wrote software that does that 10 years ago.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by GodHatesUsAll

LOL

seriously, those two pictures & ATS go so well together

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CBS01

Commodore Amiga users of the 1980s and 90s had "screens" in its operating system. You could have more than two screens, each with its own screen resolution and colour palette, and set of windows.

From wiki:

A unique feature of AmigaOS is multiple screens. AmigaOS screens do not require the Workbench desktop environment. These screens are conceptually similar to X Window System virtual desktops or workspaces, but are generated dynamically by application programs as necessary. Each screen can have a different resolution and colour depth. A gadget in the top-right corner of the screen allows screens to be cycled — as the OS stores all screens in memory simultaneously, redrawing is instantaneous. Screens can also be dragged up and down by their title bars. On older Amigas this functionality was provided by the custom chipsets specially designed for the platform, but since AmigaOS4 a new technique is adopted and the screens are draggable in any direction. Drag and drop between different screens is possible too.

edit on 18-6-2012 by Trafalgar1805 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-6-2012 by Trafalgar1805 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by GodHatesUsAll

he is so ripped in that picture...about as ripped as the op it seems...i love drunken postings mixed with rx meds..there should be a section labeled "Drunken Ramblings"

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

I love how this is in the ancient civilizations forum... it couldn't be in a more off-topic place. Maybe the Mayans knew how to do monitor overlays? It sure seems like a waste of time, though.
edit on 18-6-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
this SO reminds me of the early days of tech support....

...no sir, that is not a cup holder, it's a CD-Rom......

Sir, we have examined your PC for errors and have found the short to be between the Keyboard and chair.........(Also known as the RTFM error)

yes, you may hit the "enter" key in lieu of spending hours looking for the "any" key.......

you can always get a DIV splitter to use two monitors "if" the GPU supports it, I use dual monitors one DVI and one VGA (one for input the other for monitoring and testing the system)
edit on 18-6-2012 by thedigirati because: cause I have a spell a Nazi

edit on 18-6-2012 by thedigirati because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-6-2012 by thedigirati because: need more caffeine error

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CBS01

ok. I read your post like 10 times. i'm still completely baffled as to what you are asking....

With a desktop computer, you can install additional video cards, and some video cards already come with additional ports. ACtually, almost any "gaming" card, even budget, will come with at least 2 vga/dvi monitor ports.

You can then have multiple displays, even more than 2.

but...

What the hell is the point of having another screen on the back (back of what???) that the user never notices? What the heck are you talking about.

Have I just been trolled?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thedigirati

(Also known as the RTFM error)

Well still deal with 2 variations of that at work here...

PEBKAC
Problem exists between keyboard and chair

And
1D10T errors are quite common as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Dual layer LCD Screens.
Here is a medical application for it.
www2.units.it...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I can't believe this was posted here. Technical support for windows 69 is elsewhere. Its Linux based, you know.

I really like mine. The computer will energize, boot up and say hello calling you by name. You can tell it what you want to do and it does it, sometimes before I get through asking. Its neat. I still don't know where the mic is.

Anyone else out there have Windows 69?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Oh boy...I usually keep open 4 sparate windows....(or more) all doing different things. One screen.

Ok, ok. At times, I have another monitor hooked up TO it...and Ive got 8 screens going on 2...(separate windows-screens whatever) open doing different things.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CBS01

I hope you feel better soon. Healing vibes coming your way.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BomSquad
There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

No, actually it's those WHO understand English grammar, and those WHO don't.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CBS01

(a serious answer - with a bit of bragging
)

it sounds a bit like compiz-fusion,
for instance, i have a desktop sphere (which was originally a cube) with 4 independent sides,
i can switch to each desktop using a pager, using certain keys on my keyboard or using the scroll wheel on my mouse,

i can have, say, a vid on one side, view photos on another, use google on another,
in fact i can have different instances of (for example) google on each side, all independent from each other,

the photo shows 2 instances of google and my audio player

edit on 2/7/2012 by solvectra because: spotted a smilie wasn't working

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join