It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am Eccentric

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Its already been said before over and over...but thank you. The little threads like these all help us with something that we sometimes struggle to cope with....finding ourselves.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
*shakes head* wow! Well written, and dead on. You have a gift my friend
edit on 17-6-2012 by marcsnothere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Coming to ATS and explaining your eccentric has made you normal.

Can you get the irony ..... ?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

You are awesome.

You've defined me, and a lot of others here. Cudos to you.

And to anyone else who likes to do the eccentric practices, like hanging bras in random places in Wal-Mart, walking up to a person you've never talked to before and saying "Butt chin!" stuff like that. Those are a couple of my favorites, anyway.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

That describes me perfectly. I used to think of it as a negative thing, getting in my way of living a "better" or more normal life. Now I wonder about that. I don't think it's wrong to feel that way, even if other people may tell you it is. There are some traits described that are very good things that people tend to undervalue. I think it just may be a matter of trying to find a way to build a life around these traits instead of trying to conform to what everyone else thinks you should be. A lot of the things you described, while seeming like bad things to most people, can actually be big strengths if you know how to make use of them. I admit I'm still learning to make this work myself, but I find it kind of rewarding each time I find a way to make a "flaw" work in my favor.

reply to post by daynight42

I completely agree. I tend to automatically lean to more honest answers in situations like that and it has led to some awkward moments for the people I've talked to as well as some interesting conversations.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
My head in a nutshell. Its really a form of thought that I believe will become more common as we as humans start to look beyond what mere vision brings us.

Good post, OP. S + F for you

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Brilliant response, I agree 100%. (temp connection successful! Haha)

I especially agree with your final point about preconditions and expectations on relationships. A very destructive habit. It seems to me that a 'desperation' for companionship or a longing to find someone to 'connect' to and the loneliness that accompanies that condition are a result of a total lack of understanding--even a dislike of--the self.

I could be wrong of course.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I think you have confused "eccentric" with "childish."

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I think you have confused "eccentric" with "childish."

what about "unadapted" ?

I think it is not strange that random people are going to react unfriendly you when you walk up to them and call them "butt chin", that is just rude and has nothing to do with eccentric behaviour.

Geez, and those people who do that still wonder why they are social outcasts...
edit on 17-6-2012 by yougetwhatyoudeserve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I think that lady gaga is the epitome of eccentric, however it is obvious that it is staged....

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
We all "feel" different but are we? Probably not, just the same old trace elements (Oxygen, Carbon and Hydrogen) that make us the same old monkeys we are. No snowflake people or all that junk that our mommies tell us to make us feel good. Just fake it til you make it man.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

This is incredible.
Know that what you have written has fundamentally affected my "meta". Be proud.
I won't bore you with details of life, but as a summary, I was born to 2 loving, yet below average intellect parents, in an extremely deprived area.

Intellectual stimulation was not only rare, but discussion of topics beyond the scope of their recent experiences was actively frowned upon and condemned.
No talk of science nor politics, simply football and breasts.

Up until this point, I believed "people like us" to be extremely rare, which has been my greatest source of sadness.

For years all I longed for was someone to discuss the fruits of extended periods of introspection and meditation, some of which I genuinely belive to be both important and relevant, another human that could recognise the importance of such introspection and understand it enough to challange it.
To not feel alone and totally lost in this alien society. To talk about my Inner life.

People say im depressed, mentally ill, "stupid" and childish because I do not embrace what they embrace, or believe that they believe.

I thank you for this thread, thank you so very much, the hope you have gifted me with it could be compared to religious ecstacy (and here I speak without hyperbole).

I created this account after a long time lurking, specifically to thank you for this topic.

So thank you OP.

Sorry If this post is incoherant or appears to be rambling, it's an extremely emotional topic.

TLD;DR: crazy motherf*%#er

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I can relate strongly with almost all of this. And as much as much as a lot of these things mentioned lead to my spiralling depression, sometimes I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd rather be "weird" than "normal".

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by revolvingdoo

I would like to add, It is not quite the content of the post that thrills me, but rather the series of thoughts and revalations that followed, and the train of thought that it started.

In 15 seconds, my perception of the world and my outlook upon it (thus my reality) changed fundamentally.
Certainly not a rare occourence, but these revalations certainly never loose their appt-ness.

The intentions of this thread are irrelevant, whether social experiment or the very eloquent articulation of an inner monologue, the outcome is astounding.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Wow, really identify with this OP, interesting how so many others on ATS have too, which leads me to wonder.....Are all ATS members eccentric ? Could it be argued as humans, we are all eccentric to a degree ?

One things for sure, there are times where I must be so far gone down the path of eccentricity, even my ATS peers don't get me !

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by VerityPhantom
We all "feel" different but are we? Probably not, just the same old trace elements (Oxygen, Carbon and Hydrogen) that make us the same old monkeys we are. No snowflake people or all that junk that our mommies tell us to make us feel good. Just fake it til you make it man.

Yeah, but difference is relative, and if we feel it as individuals, then there must be an element of truth to it.

By the way, I know its off topic (although not entirely as your name means truth in part) My daughter's name is Verity, love that name

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Thanks again to those of you that have left positive feedback or have read the thread and can relate to it in a positive manner. Contrary to the beliefs of some members, there was no hidden agenda or ulterior motive for creating this thread. I did not intend to conduct a social experiment or groom anybody into becoming a Manchurian candidate. I am rather intrigued by some of these suggestions as they would make for a good novel. Then I remembered that I am on ATS and many great creative minds frequent these forums.

Unfortunately, it seems there is an effort by a small number of members to be cynical, pessimistic and negative in relation to the content of this thread. People like this exist in all areas of life. They see a positive construct - something that connects and inspires people - and they feel the need to shoot it down or destroy the positivity that it creates. Whether this is done for selfish reasons such as taking joy in spreading misery and negativity to ease one's soul, or playing the role of contrarian remains to be seen. Either way I do not feel anger or resentment for these people, I feel pity.

Another important point to note is that while some members insist that this thread is evidence that I and others like me are not eccentric because there are apparently so many of us, the truth is that even the number of people viewing this thread is but a minuscule representation of number of the greater population. When you go to the supermarket, mall or airport, how many people do you see that are readers of ATS or other alternative topic websites? How many of those people can relate to the views expressed in the OP? I estimate not many would.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Contrary to the beliefs of some members, there was no hidden agenda or ulterior motive for creating this thread.

I believe you but it seems that you would label others as having an agenda against you!

Unfortunately, it seems there is an effort by a small number of members to be cynical, pessimistic and negative in relation to the content of this thread. People like this exist in all areas of life.

It would be interesting if you addressed these posts in order to explain yourelf rather than merely label them unfavourably as being negative "efforts" by members.

They see a positive construct - something that connects and inspires people - and they feel the need to shoot it down or destroy the positivity that it creates.
I didn't see alot of positivity in you OP.
I think what was positive was that it enables people with similar insecurities and doubts to know that it is O.K. to feel like this and that they are not alone.

Whether this is done for selfish reasons such as taking joy in spreading misery and negativity to ease one's soul, or playing the role of contrarian remains to be seen. Either way I do not feel anger or resentment for these people, I feel pity.

Why not ask them by replying to their posts rather than inferring or injecting the reasons for the replies!
I mean, that would be the positive thing to do?
After all, this is a discussion isn't it?

Another important point to note is that while some members insist that this thread is evidence that I and others like me are not eccentric because there are apparently so many of us, the truth is that even the number of people viewing this thread is but a minuscule representation of number of the greater population.

You OP hs nothing to do with eccentricity.
ec·cen·tric (k-sntrk, k-)
adj.
1. Departing from a recognized, conventional, or established norm or pattern. See Synonyms at strange.

1. One that deviates markedly from an established norm, especially a person of odd or unconventional behavior.

It has everything to do with insecurity.

in·se·cure (ns-kyr)
adj.
1. Not sure or certain; doubtful: facing an insecure future.
2. Inadequately guarded or protected; unsafe:
3. Not firm or fixed; unsteady: an insecure foothold.
a. Lacking stability; troubled: an insecure relationship.
b. Lacking self-confidence; plagued by anxiety: had always felt insecure at parties.

Do you feel different? An outcast who doesn't fit in with most other people.

You feel in awe of others that you admire, but you dismiss these feelings when they are directed at yourself

What is your passion? What is your drive? You are not sure of your ambitions or your purpose for being here.

you struggle to define what it is that makes you happy and complete. You do not know, nor do you claim to know. This makes you appear indecisive to the average person and contributes to your feelings of alienation.

you worry about where you see yourself in 10 days.

You don't just worry about the future, you focus on the past and are apprehensive about the present.

You feel like you don't belong, yet you long to be.

So lets see, Outcast, feeling different, dismissive of praise, unsure about ambitions and purpose, unsure what makes oneself happy, feelings of indicision, worries that one looks indicisive. Worries about the future, the past and present.
Worry, anxiety, insecurity.

Eccentics couldn't give a flying f@#$ what people think. They know what makes them happy and persue it regardless of other peoples opinions. Thats what makes them eccentric. Oscar Wilde was eccentic because he used to walk around with a lobster on a leash, not because he felt sorry for himslef.
Andy Warhol, Jim Morrison, Howard Hughes, The lady in my city that dresses as an opera singer and performs Turandot.
Thats eccentricity.

You OP just makes you look scared about what people think, that you don't fit in but you really want to, that you don't know what makes you happy and you worry about the present and future and are stuck reflecting on your past so much so it seems to hinders your progress in terms of happyness and hope about the future.

Your OP is entirely a reflection on the negative.

What would be positive would be admitting that you need to overcome these issues rather than simply saying you are eccentric.
Appealing to others to reinforce your own fears is even more negative.

What is important about your thread is how common these insecurities are!

edit on 17/6/12 by atlasastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I agree with the last statement completely. The topics we discuss here at ATS, we can't even bring up without being ridiculed by people outside of ATS. Someone at the market, mall, barber shop, they would quickly change the subject, and probably feel threatened. Everything must be edited, shallow, and socially exceptable, for them to comment.

It seems more common to find men who are open to such things. I'm willing to bet most women will probably never speak to another woman again, if they brought these topics up.
edit on 17-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I like what you've written because for alot of us its so true. its quite surpriseing on how accuratly you descibe my thought process... GET OUT OF MY HEAD! just kidding but still...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join