It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The advertisements on ATS is getting ridiculous

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by emaildogs

Originally posted by randomname
2 words, google ad block.

That's 3 words bro.

And here's another 3 words: terms and conditions

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I'm sure we are not allowed to discuss adblock addons??

Ohh well
these adverts suck, I can only imagine what the non-members have to go through, the layout was really clumsy as it was if I remember corectly, infact I signed up just to see how the layout would change, I liked the member view a lot better.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
On the very bottom ot even this ATS page there is a blue letters that say ad choices, click on that follow instructions to opt out of bunch of ads, its reduced mine by 75 percent so far, make sure your pop up blocker is on and effective, it really helped me !!!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

I just ignore the ads and keep on reading...I don't let them bother me.

There is an old saying in life: "don't sweat the small stuff."

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I agree. Every time I visit the main page, a huge deodorant add expands when I'm half-way through the first headline, making me scroll down to finish it and then scroll back up when the idiotic video finishes and it shrinks again.

RRFTP

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by SubPop79

I have no idea whether the Mods can tell, and I am computer illiterate, but there is this:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.
It's from the T&C.

Well that sucks. I know one sure fire way to escape the advertisers. Click the red x up at the top right hand corner of the screen. Then go outside and do something.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Well that certainly is not true. I am a long time member and the ads are right there on my front page too.
Although as someone else mentioned. You simply click the x and the ad goes away so what is the real issue here?
There are fewer ads if you actually join the site where you must log in every day to use content.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I just don't like when i leave ATS open and the adds start to play and recently it has opened crackle up and ran some seinfeld episodes..... I love seinfeld but the last thing i want is to hear george screaming "I WAS IN THE POOL!" at 3am.

I really hate it when it happens at work and I am away from my computer.....

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rrftp

I agree. Every time I visit the main page, a huge deodorant add expands when I'm half-way through the first headline, making me scroll down to finish it and then scroll back up when the idiotic video finishes and it shrinks again.

RRFTP

So when the ad begins to decend from the top of the page stop and use your arrow button to go up again and hit the x at the top right of the ad. It will go away.. I know the commercial ... the guy with the creepy eyes. You dont have to suffer through it though, just scroll up and x out.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kang69
www.worthofweb.com...

it's all about money.

Creating fake users for ad revenue? Check

Staging fake events to bring in more users? check

ATS=suckers of satans cock just like the rest of them.

But it's fun watching all of you.

By the way, Marks wife works for Halliburton. But their fine, just a peaceful ARMS and OIL company.

Nothing to see here.

Its fun watching all of us is it ? Of course you are just an innocent bystander. You are not an ATS member or anything like that are you ? Even though you had to become a member to post the reply that you posted.
edit on 16-6-2012 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mckeesport

Did you click that icon ? It outlines how the advertising will be modified to your interests as determined by your browsing habits. In other words, the site looks at what you are looking at and then caters the ads to your interests. I wondered why , when I used a tab to look up a certain type of music cd when I returned to ATS there were ads for just the stuff I had googled on the tab. I didnt notice any options for reducing the number of ads on the page but I could have missed that.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The worst is when you have multiple tabs open, reading different threads and all of sudden you hear the sound for an ad for dish soap playing in the background.

The only way to get rid of it is by closing or refreshing the page.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Accessing ATS from a mobile is god awful.

All about the $

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What's worse? Ads, or avatars/signature pics?

At least ATS allows us to hide avatars. The rest is dealt with on an individual basis depending on software options and/or willpower.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
Im pretty sure the ads are based on your browsing habits so try and cut down on the fast food internet searches?

And a membership fee would be a horrible idea. They would lose money because i doubt that many people would pay.

I don't understand the big deal in pressing the x button on a ad that pops up i've never had a problem with it.

ETA: they need to sort the mobile site out. It seriously pisses me off a site like ATS can't have a decent mobile site.

It really makes me think its only about the money here. I remember reading there was a ownership change. Im guessing there purely in it for the money and the old ownership are just sells outs?
It hardly seems like this is the ATS we thought we joined hmmm.

we are well-renowned for operating the most professionally managed discussion board environment that inspires intelligent contributions and meaningful debate. We refuse to allow short "drive-by" posting that add nothing to the thread. We refuse to allow insults and mayhem that you'll see on many other boards. We refuse to allow spam and hate speech. We promote intelligent posting. We promote productive debate and collaborative discussion. We promote the examination of any topic as long as manners are maintained. We respect the content of other sites and encourage linking. We respect our members' content and defend its credibility and their rights.

edit on 16-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

Browsing habits? I keep getting ads for Mature dating websites. Used to be Russian brides.

I guess they all got old.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I have no idea whether the Mods can tell, and I am computer illiterate, but there is this:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.
It's from the T&C.

I was under the impression that the only way a website can make money off me from those ads is if I click them, which I wouldn't do on any website.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

No, Google Adsense is by view ads, you don't have to click them in order for ATS to make the required ad revenue it requires to make this site available to it's users.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

edit on 16-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join