It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The advertisements on ATS is getting ridiculous

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I try to sign in tonight, go to the front page, where immediately a Mc Donald's ad for egg mc muffins pops up RIGHT over a story. I clicked the X to close it and it won't go away, blocking one of the stories and information I'm trying to see. Come on. This is ridiculous. I'd be willing to fork over a membership fee if we could get rid of these damn ads.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Its all about revenue !!!

Don't give them any ideas on how to make more.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I agree with you. But I am really tired of the ads. There are enough already to look at.... why put a pop up ad right over one of the top stories on the front page? It makes the site look crappy and it's aggravating. The owners keep this up and they will start losing members.... because one of the number one things that alienates and drives people away from web sites is stupid annoying ads.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I guess this will be a test of freedom of speech on ATS.

Google: ABP

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

In all fairness it takes $ to run a site........but, do you make your money by selling something worthwhile or selling out? Selling out always seems to win.
edit on 16-6-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

I have no idea whether the Mods can tell, and I am computer illiterate, but there is this:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.
It's from the T&C.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Lol try using an android tablet...

"Hi You're the winner of the Android something blah blah!" and it promptly redirects you away from the main page onto something you can't click back from. Almost deleted the bookmark off my tablet after the 4'th time that happened.

That really is annoying....

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
I try to sign in tonight, go to the front page, where immediately a Mc Donald's ad for egg mc muffins pops up RIGHT over a story. I clicked the X to close it and it won't go away, blocking one of the stories and information I'm trying to see. Come on. This is ridiculous. I'd be willing to fork over a membership fee if we could get rid of these damn ads.

I agree. I often access (full) the site on my cell phone and lately when going to the new topics page I get redirected to some page advertising android apps or saying I have won some competition.

The only way to get out of this is to back up twice which takes me past new topics back to the home page. Very annoying! I'm doing four clicks to get somewhere that should take one.

It seems to be all rather in your face don't you think?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Im pretty sure the ads are based on your browsing habits so try and cut down on the fast food internet searches?

And a membership fee would be a horrible idea. They would lose money because i doubt that many people would pay.

I don't understand the big deal in pressing the x button on a ad that pops up i've never had a problem with it.

ETA: they need to sort the mobile site out. It seriously pisses me off a site like ATS can't have a decent mobile site.

It really makes me think its only about the money here. I remember reading there was a ownership change. Im guessing there purely in it for the money and the old ownership are just sells outs?
It hardly seems like this is the ATS we thought we joined hmmm.

we are well-renowned for operating the most professionally managed discussion board environment that inspires intelligent contributions and meaningful debate. We refuse to allow short "drive-by" posting that add nothing to the thread. We refuse to allow insults and mayhem that you'll see on many other boards. We refuse to allow spam and hate speech. We promote intelligent posting. We promote productive debate and collaborative discussion. We promote the examination of any topic as long as manners are maintained. We respect the content of other sites and encourage linking. We respect our members' content and defend its credibility and their rights.

edit on 16-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

i dont see any ads.

i've been a member for a while.. and NEVER thought they were in the way...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

i dont see any ads.

i've been a member for a while.. and NEVER thought they were in the way...

I don't see ads either. I thought I read a while back that once you surpass some count of posts (maybe?) that the site was ad free. That was back when I first joined so I could be remembering wrong.
edit on 6/16/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Good post, Thunder heart woman.

I don't find them too intrusive, however, I find some of the claims the adverts make are amongst the most ridiculous and at the very least misleading !

I.e. with our current high unemployment levels, why would you need to advertise " unemployed mum earns £ huge amounts of money working from home " if they were honest ? If these jobs were honest and achievable, the company would be quickly inundated with applicants. Strange, I don't think they are, as some of these type of ads have been running a long time...what does that tell you ?

They're not honest and achievable ......?

I'm using an I pad, and find that the " New Topics " page is often taking a long time to load nowadays...This may just be the sheer amount of traffic though, and nothing to do with the ads.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

There is this thread dedicated to ads that annoy. The Admins have left it open, but I guess you could U2U Skeptic and ask to have it removed. Any ads that are annoying or not in good taste I believe can be brought to the Admin's attention for review.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
had a 2 Norton web attack warning tonight from Malicious Toolkit Website 14

Category: Intrusion Prevention
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,IPS Alert Name,Default Action,Action Taken,Attacking Computer,Attacker URL,Destination Address,Source Address,Traffic Description
2012-06-16 1:32:54,High,An intrusion attempt by mysammers.net was blocked.,Blocked,No Action Required,Web Attack: Malicious Toolkit Website 14,No Action Required,No Action Required,"mysammers.net (91.229.210.195, 80)",mysammers.net/8zAm0fJCMTstfkpnda7lkCDKKEne7gZ2,"XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (192.168.2.8, 51713)",91.229.210.195 (91.229.210.195),"TCP, www-http"
Network traffic from mysammers.net/8zAm0fJCMTstfkpnda7lkCDKKEne7gZ2 matches the signature of a known attack. The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME2\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE. To stop being notified for this type of traffic, in the Actions panel, click Stop Notifying Me.

Three add visible

Register .com
The American Express Gold Rewards Card
Grand Chase

Registration Service Provided By: BIGROCK.COM

Domain Name: MYSAMMERS.NET

Registrant:
PrivacyProtect.org
Domain Admin (&&&&&&&&&&&)
ID#10760, PO Box 16
Note - All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org
Nobby Beach
null,QLD 4218
AU
Tel. +45.36946676

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I find the ads very inconvenient at times as well.

I am normally on an android tab, the main top ads will oversize everthing else at times makeing it impossible to navigate to a topic.

Other times like others I get redirected off the site without clicking anything.

I am all for the site earning revenue, but feel the owners or mods should be made aware of some of the ad imbedding fails.

I dont see how it can be profitable to frusterate folks into leaveing the site at times due to ad annoyance or machine ad takeover.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Itll never happen. Its about $$$. Thats how everything works.Including ATS

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join