It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could mainland U.S. be invaded by a conventional military?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I keep seeing people say that they don't think the U.S. could be invaded by a conventional military. I agree with that statement, but I wanted to hear what all of you thought. People always say "you cannot invade the mainland United States, there will be a rifle behind every blade of grass" which is often misattributed to Isoroku Yamamoto.

I think now days you would have a much better chance of a successful invasion because of a few things.

I think the biggest one is the pussification of America. What I mean by this is that kids have grown up playing videogames and on the computer more than playing outside. When I was a kid, I constantly was playing some sport outside. We used to settle things on the playground with scuffles instead of telling the teacher or parents.

Another big thing is lack of work ethic. I am a steel erection foreman, and I have a lot of kids straight out of high school working for me. I can't believe the lack of work ethic some of these kids have. I've seen a lot of kids quit after a 12 or 14 hour day. It seems to me that a lot of kids now days are protected so much and don't see the "real world" until they are in their mid 20s.

Another thing that would be a big determining factor is that today's youth lack general skills. A lot of people have never fired a gun, or even held one for that matter. Some people have never operated hand or power tools in their life.

Some things that would help us out if the U.S. were invaded

There are a lot of civillian owned weapons in the U.S., but it seems to me that it is getting to the point that they will soon just kind of dissapear and very few people will have the knowledge to use them. So yes there may be a rifle behind every blade of grass. It just worrys me that if it ever came down to it, a lot of people wouldn't have the guts or determination and skills to stop an attack.

The U.S. has arguably the best military in the world, and a lot of military vets, some battle hardened. The thing that worries me about this, is that our military is relying so much upon technology and if they ever lost it, it would make things much more difficult for them. I don't think an invasion force of a conventional military could ever get close enough to even attempt an invasion because of our military and tools they have at their disposal.

Will to live/ survive. Although many people haven't had their will to survive tested, it is a part of the human condition. People will fight for what is theirs tooth and nail, sometimes to the death if need be. The people of the U.S. have had it relatively easy compared to a lot of countries, but when push comes to shove I think all Americans would be willing to fight and die to try to preserve their way of life for them and their friends and family.

I have just been thinking about all this and thought I would share. I'm sure my opinions differ a lot from others here on ATS and I'm sure this will be a hate fest, but I wanted to hear your opinions.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
How would this invading army get through all of the missile defense systems, submarines and our air force? They would have to get through all of tbat before even getting 100 miles from the coast. Im sure that the army would have plenty of time to position infantry and artillery thanks to all of the satellite intelligence.

The invading army would be droned to death before even landing on the shores

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The level of atrocities that would need to be committed in order to get a beach head would make the invaders the worst war criminal in history.

Hitler and his advisers thought it suicide in WW2.

It would take chemical and biological agents to subdue the armed civilians alone.

The biggest obstacle would be securing major hwys for troop movement, it works both ways, if you could surpise attack (emp, chemical, nuke, or some combinations)

The freeways would allow for rapid inland movement, but than you have one of the most harassed campaign in history as every movement of enemy troops is met with civilians taking pot shots at them.
edit on 15-6-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

link   
i doubt that any country could invade america in a basic land/sea/air type invasion as the american military is so well established and who has the numbers to go one on one with a military that can sacrifice serious amounts of people

and we know that given the american population owns so many fecking guns its silly so theres no point really going in head first when the best bet of taking it over is a more political thing so that the natives don't get too restless

link   
Considering the amount of military bases we have along our coasts, coupled with our drones, Air force, navy, armed civis, yeah you'd have to be desperate to come invade us.

Not to say it can't be done, anything can be done, it's merely a matter of probability.

US or any united front as such would only be invaded successfully from the inside. Seeing how direct on approach would be costly and slow going.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
How would this invading army get through all of the missile defense systems, submarines and our air force? They would have to get through all of tbat before even getting 100 miles from the coast. Im sure that the army would have plenty of time to position infantry and artillery thanks to all of the satellite intelligence.

The invading army would be droned to death before even landing on the shores

The French thought the same way as you do when they constructed "The Maginot Line"
We all know what happened there:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Thanks to the MIC, and our manned bases around the world, we have the ability to intercept any incoming invasion before it gets to our mainland. So, it would take one hell of a fleet to make it through our navy, missile system, air attack, etc., to make it our shores for a traditional invasion.

Not to stray off topic, but this is reason number 1 why Ron Paul's desires to shut down overseas bases would be a poor decision which would greatly weaken our defenses.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Any psychotic military leader could surely attempt an invasion, but very doubtful that they would have even a limited success at holding a position for any given amount of time. I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to be part of the invading force. The claim that there is no work ethic in the US and any other derogatory statement would be immediately thrown out the window. If foreign soldiers set foot on US soil with the intention to claim the US it would be one of the single most unifying events to ever occur next to a common threat from an other worldly force. People of all races, religions, cultural standings would immediately cast all differences aside to fight a common enemy.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You work kids in a steel erection company for 12-14 hours? What are you a friggin slave driver? How important is a structure to go into commission that you would subject a human body to something so ridiculous? Do you want them worked-through before they are 30?

My guess anyone who runs this sort of operation is without a doubt less human than the damn machines they run.

As for your invasion thoughts, how would we know if they are already here in plain clothes? I highly doubt an invading army would come waltzing through in uniform unless they carpet bombed the place first.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
If foreign soldiers set foot on US soil with the intention to claim the US it would be one of the single most unifying events to ever occur next to a common threat from an other worldly force. People of all races, religions, cultural standings would immediately cast all differences aside to fight a common enemy.

You would also see 1,000 new threads on ATS about the most recent false flag! I couldn't resist...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

As for your invasion thoughts, how would we know if they are already here in plain clothes? I highly doubt an invading army would come waltzing through in uniform unless they carpet bombed the place first.
reply to post by Greensage

Good point, the only way that would have a chance would have to be through guile and sedition, sabotage and corruption from external forces could work for a time.

But at some point the Populace would be come aware of such actions, and you have the same problem, it may take time but once motivated the American people are powerful, history has shown it.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Yes.. Its the only way to fight against the US
without receiving nukes on their heads

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

We don't work them like that every day. Just when absolutely necessary. But yes, it does take a toll on the body, which is why have have titanium in my spine, my knees are shot, and have had two other surgeries. I was just trying to point out when I was straight out of high school I was doing it for 14 hours a day almost every day and loving it (mostly the paychecks though)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Easily.

It would take a large covert setup first, and then it would take occupying key areas that could not be destroyed with heavy artillery, and from there the invasion would be afoot.

Imagine infiltrating for 10 years across a porous southern border, and through student visas and work visas and putting your players in the field. Acquire weapons and knowledge of our society. Then, create misdirection, maybe some terrorist attacks, and a faux invasion away from the real action, while the real players are taking up key positions near strategic areas like refineries, nuke plants, or large urban areas. Then, just like Normandy, you move in heavily, you take heavy losses, but by controlling the volatile areas you render our air strikes useless. We can't use ICBM's, nukes, or MOABs on our own urban areas, infrastructure, or near hazardous materials like refineries and nuke plants. You ensure face to face fighting so our technology and air force are pretty useless.

There are dozens of other ways too. If you really wanted to soften the target, just put 100 DC-Sniper style operatives all around the country scaring people into not buying gas, not going to work, not going to school. Destroy the local economies in key areas, it entails little risk and little expense, but it has crushing effectiveness on our lifestyle. Get people scared again like they were post 9/11 and with our economy already teetering on the brink you could implode it pretty easily.

Once the economy is imploded, now it is difficult to tell domestic terrorists from real terrorists, and tell false operations from real operations, and you just send out a lot of misdirection before you finally launch the invasion.

The key is rendering our weapons useless against ourselves and keeping our population fighting each other and our own government long enough for the invaders to get a good foothold.

There is my dime store version off the top of my head. Imagine what somene actually trained in the arts of war, with a team of advisors, and a huge budget could come up with over a few months!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
In the strictest sense, yes would be the answer to your question.

However, I do not think it would last long enough to consider such an act to be in anyway successful.

If I were to plan such an attack, I would find and use secluded beaches under the cover of darkness. By landing only a few platoons at any one time and place until I had sufficient forces to begin a forceful assault.

Or, decide it was time to get them all killed.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
I think the biggest one is the pussification of America. What I mean by this is that kids have grown up playing videogames and on the computer more than playing outside. When I was a kid, I constantly was playing some sport outside. We used to settle things on the playground with scuffles instead of telling the teacher or parents.

Although I agree with your sentiment, what does kids playing outside instead of paying video games have to do with defeating a conventional invasion. Would kids playing outside better be able to do this? I'm not sure it makes a different.

Another big thing is lack of work ethic. I am a steel erection foreman, and I have a lot of kids straight out of high school working for me. I can't believe the lack of work ethic some of these kids have. I've seen a lot of kids quit after a 12 or 14 hour day. It seems to me that a lot of kids now days are protected so much and don't see the "real world" until they are in their mid 20s.

So kids WITH a good work ethic would be able to defeat an invading army?

Another thing that would be a big determining factor is that today's youth lack general skills. A lot of people have never fired a gun, or even held one for that matter. Some people have never operated hand or power tools in their life.

Same rule applies. I'm not sure what the ability to use a power tool has to invading armies. I see your point about guns, but are you expecting random citizens to defend the US? We do have a 3 million man armed forces. Do you think they may be used to repel an invasions? Or do you think it will be left to kids playing outsode?

There are a lot of civillian owned weapons in the U.S., but it seems to me that it is getting to the point that they will soon just kind of dissapear and very few people will have the knowledge to use them. So yes there may be a rifle behind every blade of grass. It just worrys me that if it ever came down to it, a lot of people wouldn't have the guts or determination and skills to stop an attack.

Probably not. On the other hand, there's no other place where as many civilians own as many guns. Surely a certain percentage would be used.

Much of your argument depends on the lack of willingness and skills of youth. I'm not sure you can compare that to a potential reaction to an invasion. Civilians would not be the major defending force in case of an invasion. The country is huge, both in population and size, so an "invading force" would have to be substantial to even attempt to pull it off. How would they get here en masse? Where would they land? How would they establish a beachhead? How would they "take over"? Those are huge logistical difficulties.

Take a look at global firepower. In terms of military strength, there isn't anyone out there who has the ability to pull it off. Of course, you could nuke the place, but you have to ask yourself, what's the point in that? If anyone did that, they'd probably gey nuked back. It's a risky business.

I'm responding to "a conventional invasion," which was in your post.. Obviously there are many assymetric ways to cripple the country that do not include an outright "Red Dawn" kind of invasion.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
The level of atrocities that would need to be committed in order to get a beach head would make the invaders the worst war criminal in history.

Hitler and his advisers thought it suicide in WW2.

It would take chemical and biological agents to subdue the armed civilians alone.

The biggest obstacle would be securing major hwys for troop movement, it works both ways, if you could surpise attack (emp, chemical, nuke, or some combinations)

The freeways would allow for rapid inland movement, but than you have one of the most harassed campaign in history as every movement of enemy troops is met with civilians taking pot shots at them.
edit on 15-6-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

Your last lines sound kind of familiar....

Oh yea, Iraq.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's not possible.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There is zero chance of any assualt from the sea as we could sink anything with sufficent troops on it long before it got here. So any invasion would have to come from Canada or Mexico. If China where to make friends with Mexico or Canada and either of those contries allowed China to bring in troops and equipment then it would be possible for something like that to occur. I believe the US would stop China from doing so though long before a sizable invasion force could built to sufficent strength on our borders.

So an succesful invasion is highly unlikely.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join