It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VEGAN for 3.5 Months. Massive hair loss.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
It started as a medical reason, although I have never been a real big meat eater. I cut out all dairy, eggs, fish, poultry & meat. It has now turned into a moral issue for me.

A little while back, my hair started to fall out. I thought it was just an after effect of the anesthesia, or so people told me. Now I'm not so sure. If I can give you an indication of how much hair is falling out- If I roll it into a tight ball, it's a little bit smaller than a tennis ball... slightly larger than a golf ball. Now, it doesn't stop in the shower. All day long if I put my hands through my hair, about 10 strands come out each time.

It has also taken over 3 weeks for my nails to grow 2mm and some are splitting apart horizontally, yet, they are very hard and strong.

I will never go back to eating meat. But dairy and eggs? I don't know... I know the dairy industry is just as bad as the meat industry and I don't want to support it. And from everything I've heard and read about dairy, animal protein and cancer, I'm not too sure I want to go down that path.

I really do eat a balanced vegan diet. Lots of fruits, veggies at night, whole grains like rice and quinoa. Olive oil, coconut oil. I get protein from beans like soy, chickpeas etc.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I also do occasionally take a B12 supplement, which comes from plant extracts.

I can't even imagine eating a little chicken egg... but I crave it. After 3 months though?! Should cravings not be gone by now?

So, I'm in a catch 22 here. There are people just waiting for me to fail at this and I would hate to prove them right. I want to eat in an ethical and kind way. But I also don't want to feel like I have failed, and make myself even more sick at the same time.

I have major stomach issues as well, so I am also gluten free since a week ago... Talk about cutting out major food groups.

Anyone with advice?

PS:

My nails used to grow at such a rapid rate that I could not have my nails done because they just grew too fast. Those nails normally last a woman about 2-3 weeks, mine lasted a week. So I'd say they grew about a cm per week and a half.

edit on 14-6-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
My feeling is that you need to listen to your body. It is craving something that can only be supplied by an egg.
Get free range eggs ... they are commonly available these days.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I never understood vegans, no offense. Eating meat is part of the cycle of life. Think about it...if a cow could eat us and were the dominant species it would. Same thing goes for every other animal. Other bigger wild animals like Lions would eat a person and probably have in some parts of the world.

Civilizations for thousands of years have been eating the very things you cut out. Your body needs those nutrients.

I lose alot of hair just like you. I have always lost a lot of hair but I'm not a vegan. I was on prenatal meds at one point but it didn't really help. I just have a thick head of hair and I lose a lot. My doctor said it was normal and not to worry. I think she gave me the prenatal vitamins to make me feel better.

I have a friend who did the vegan diet for about a year and she went back to eating fish and eggs because of some of the problems she had with it. I think everyones body acts differently to this type of diet.

If you are really concerned check with your doctor and see if he/she can suggest something to help you out with the hair loss.

Hope everything works out for you

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
If anything, you should at least add eggs back into your diet.

You don't have to buy commercially produced eggs. Do you have any farm friends? Fresh farm eggs are delicious.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

my buddy that works in a high volume grocery store is a checker he sees a good portion of the local population everyday and he has observed that a noticeable amount off women are losing there hair and not just old ladys, but girls that he went to high school with, hes about 30 now

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I cut out all dairy, eggs, fish, poultry & meat.

So you cut out both major sources of protein and calcium and you wonder why your nails wont grow?

Sorry, but I find this funny. I know several vegans and they all have major health issues.

Yes it's sad what they do to the animals, but that's just how it is. Listen to your body.

Your body needs certain things which plant material and pills wont provide.

Animals eat other animals all the time. Humans are animals too, accept the nature of life.
edit on 14/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't eat meat, but I hammer the eggs.

Our bodies were born to work a certain way, don't kill yourself for a cause.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Did you have any lentil seeds or something to supply the body with the required iron intake?

There's a lot to consider ,you'd have to replace the meat and dairy with something that can
still meet the needs of the body. Such replacements exist if you're serious to continue.

Stress can also be a factor ,not just nutrition. Then there are pollutants and detoxification ,
using detoxification you can rid yourself of any pollutants that may be messing up your
system. You should look these things up and consider your options.

It all varies from person to person and these are just some suggestions I could think of.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Becoming vegan is just removing your vote. If you don't like what's being done to animals in factory farming, buy local organic from suppliers with better slaughtering methods. These options are becoming more available in the US every day.

It's obvious you have severe nutritional deficiencies.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

So you cut out both major sources of protein and calcium and you wonder why your nails wont grow?

Yeah, yeah, I guess that's 'funny'... I do eat Tat Soi, and other veggies rich in calcium but I guess it's not enough.

Your body needs certain things which plant material and pills wont provide.

I get you. I don't have loads of money for supplements and stuff each month. Things like hemp seeds, which are complete protein are about R120.00 per bag here in South Africa.

I'm thinking of adding free range eggs and maybe goats milk. Although I know many people will give me so much flak for it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

Did you have any lentil seeds or something to supply the body with the required iron intake? There's a lot to consider ,you'd have to replace the meat and dairy with something that can still meet the needs of the body. Such replacements exist if you're serious to continue.

Well, I hate lentils so I each tons of chickpeas instead, as well as dates for calcium and iron etc. I eat dates almost every day. Stress- Good point. I have been under stress but no more than what my life has always been like. I mean, who isn't stressed these days?

I just never had this problem before.

It takes so much work to be Vegan. I'm not talking about, the cooking, etc- I love cooking and always have. It's the mental strain and frustration that goes with it that gets to me.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Every summer, I moult hair from my head like billy-o and I know about a thousand other women who do too... My guess it's not diet related, but seasonal hair loss

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Go see a professional nutritionist, maybe you are missing something in your vegan diet. Try to include dairy and eggs from trustworthy sources that do not abuse animals, I dont really see an ethical issue in that.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

You don't have to buy commercially produced eggs. Do you have any farm friends? Fresh farm eggs are delicious.

There is a farm nearby called Camphill. It's a farm community for people with special needs. They sell goats cheese and farm eggs at the health shop around the corner from me.

I'm thinking about it. I just feel bad about thinking about it, that's all.

reply to post by Maslo

Thanks , I'm thinking about it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
If you had any vitamin deficiencies before you became Vegan, and lets face it most of us have silent deficiencies that aren't majorly apparent, then your journey into the world of the Vegan has probably exacerbated that.

I'd probably just opt out for a while and go organic and animal welfare for a while while upping your essential vitamins & minerals with supplements. Once you've got a nice reserve of the good stuff in your body and you see a marked improvement on your hair and nails then you could give the Vegan thing a try again. The transition next time might not be too much a shock to your system.

As other ladies have said we do tend to molt quite a bit, especially at certain times of the year. I normally start to worry though if my nails go weird.

I rattle quite a bit at the moment though as I need the pick me up and I'm predisposed to anemia.
I take a prenatal also with an extra pure grade omega fish oil and an extra folic acid and Vit D. On top of that I take Royal jelly which is no doubt a no no for Vegans, but drink a great deal of herbal and green tea along with a morning detox tea especially to flush out any nasties.
edit on 14-6-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I never understood vegans, no offense. Eating meat is part of the cycle of life. Think about it...if a cow could eat us and were the dominant species it would. Same thing goes for every other animal. Other bigger wild animals like Lions would eat a person and probably have in some parts of the world.

Civilizations for thousands of years have been eating the very things you cut out. Your body needs those nutrients.

I lose alot of hair just like you. I have always lost a lot of hair but I'm not a vegan. I was on prenatal meds at one point but it didn't really help. I just have a thick head of hair and I lose a lot. My doctor said it was normal and not to worry. I think she gave me the prenatal vitamins to make me feel better.

I have a friend who did the vegan diet for about a year and she went back to eating fish and eggs because of some of the problems she had with it. I think everyones body acts differently to this type of diet.

If you are really concerned check with your doctor and see if he/she can suggest something to help you out with the hair loss.

Hope everything works out for you

We're omnivores, bro. We can eat whatever we want to. The trick is not ABUSING THE FOOD that we eat.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Every summer, I moult hair from my head like billy-o and I know about a thousand other women who do too... My guess it's not diet related, but seasonal hair loss

Exactly. Its middle of winter here. And I have never shed more than a couple of hairs at a time, in my life.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Exactly. Its middle of winter here. And I have never shed more than a couple of hairs at a time, in my life.

It can also be down to how your care for your hair. For example, not brushing it when it's wet, this can cause the hairs to become stretched and thin, making it easier for them to break or tear. Also brushing can cause larger amounts at time to be lost, where as brushing with a wide toothed comb makes the hair separate easier, and never brush from root to tip in one stroke, brush from the tip downwards, and then work your way up in stages, so the hair before has already been brushed and the knots don't collect further down the length.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Supporting Camphill is a secondary good thing.

Either way, any Pick n' Pay or Spar has free-range eggs

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
With an active lifestyle, shedding takes care of itself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join